Thread: Port my Google Voice number to RedPocket or ???

Feedback Score

Port my Google Voice number to RedPocket or ???

I paid the Google Voice $3 port-out fee a couple months ago ... thinking that I would simply port my GV number to my existing prepaid $30 eBay RedPocket GSMT 200/1000/200 annual plan. But this never happened because (unknown to me at the time) RedPocket only allows port-ins on brand new SIMs/plans. I have enough time left on my current RedPocket plan that I want to wait until I need a new RP plan before I port my GV number to them. But this brings up an important question:

If I buy another eBay prepaid plan like the one I have now, and port my GV number to the new plan from the beginning, what happens to my phone number when the plan ends one year later? Will I be able to renew/recharge that plan and keep my number (and perhaps the same SIM card) for the next year, and the year after that, and the year after that? Or will RedPocket make me get a new SIM/plan every year -- and perhaps NOT let me transfer/port my existing number to each new plan?

Also, I am not married to RedPocket. I am open to switching if there's some other carrier or MVNO that offers better deals similar to the one I'm on now, provided the service originates from AT&T or T-Mobile. So if you can suggest another service or plan for me to consider please let me know. I could use a few more minutes but I never use all the texts I have now. If I had more data I might leave it turned on, but given my current 200 MB limit I generally leave it off until I actually need it while I'm on the road, which is not very often.

By the way, this is just a minor annoyance, but every month I get an email from RedPocket telling me that my plan will expire in 7 days and I should make a payment to keep it active for the next month ... but I'm on a one-year plan which means I should not be getting these reminders every month, so it seems they have something misconfigured in their system. I hesitate to mention this to RP because I do not want them to screw up something else while trying to disable these reminders, so I'm just living with them for the time being.

Feedback Score
    You can buy another RP 360 day plan and use the code provided to renew, using the same SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for clearing up this issue for me, Boz1!

Feedback Score
    I've used Google Voice in combination with Red Pocket plans for years.

Why would you want to port your number to Red Pocket? You can configure Google Voice to work seamlessly with your Red Pocket plan without doing a port. And if you ever want to switch to a different cell company in the future, it's just a quick setting change in Google Voice. It works well and you don't have to ever worry about number ports. It's also a lot more secure with 2FA.