Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All LG phones with T-Mobile going away?

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

All LG phones with T-Mobile going away?

I just talked to our local T-Mobile store about transferring from Cricket. I have 3 LG phones on my account, Stylo 4, Stylo 5, and V40 ThinQ. They all show compatible on the T-Mobile IMEI checker, but they told me sometime in January they will all be shut off. The reason is LG no longer makes cell phones and no more updates from them. I have read nothing anywhere on T-Mobile deactivating all LG phones until today, are they correct in their information?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    I just talked to our local T-Mobile store about transferring from Cricket. I have 3 LG phones on my account, Stylo 4, Stylo 5, and V40 ThinQ. They all show compatible on the T-Mobile IMEI checker, but they told me sometime in January they will all be shut off. The reason is LG no longer makes cell phones and no more updates from them. I have read nothing anywhere on T-Mobile deactivating all LG phones until today, are they correct in their information?
    If they support T-Mobile VoLTE they will all be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So the local T-Mobile store is giving out incorrect information?

Feedback Score
    Sounds that way. Just get the SIM cards and put them in your phone. Tell the store that the IMEI checker shows they're compatible and tell them you'll worry about what happens in January.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

Put the SIM in, turn off WiFi, make a call. If the phone stays on LTE for that call, you’re good to go. If not and it drops to 3G or 2G, rip phone in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I did setup chat with a T Mobile associate and he said he had not heard of any information. He said they may recommend an upgrade but not deactivating all LG phones even if they have Volte calling. I'm never sure how much faith I put in chat sessions tho....

Feedback Score
    I think what the associate probably meant was since those LG phones are Cricket branded, they won't work on T-Mobile unless they are unlock, don't take my word for it, I could also be wrong

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well actually the Stylo 4 and 5 are T-Mobile branded and they are both unlocked. The V40 Thinq is AT&T branded and unlocked, all 3 show compatibility with the IMEI checker......

Device(s)
    Iphone XS Motorola G7 power and Optimas Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    My mother was using a unlock LG expression plus I got on black Friday a few years ago. She is on Family Mobile and got a letter from TracFone saying her phone would not be compatible. So for Christmas my father got her a Iphone 7. If that is true I dodge a bullet by not getting her the LG Journey.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It has nothing to do with being it a LG phone. It is also True LG is not manufacturing any new cell phones. Your phones need to support VoLTE. What this means voice calls go over the LTE network. In the past phones would drop to 3G for a voice call. Now because they are going to be shutting down the 3G network, so if your phone doesn't support VoLTE (Calls over LTE) your calls will simply not work because there is no network to support the call.

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like they are trying to get you to buy a new phone for the sale

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    http://www.twitter.com/sedp23

Windows Phone 7 >>>>> iPhone & Android

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
    Sounds like they are trying to get you to buy a new phone for the sale.
    I have to agree. As long as the phone supports the required cellular frequencies it should work just fine. Doesn't matter if the manufacturer is out of business. Sadly, the store reps have certain monthly quotas of device sales that must be met or they will be fired.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I did another chat session and they also said they had not heard of T Mobile ending support for LG phones next year. Only thing I question now is their signal for my address. Their map only shows my signal, 4G and 5G, as fair so if I have to step outside to make a call or text I will stay with Cricket. Hope to find a friend with T Mobile I can check out signal level before I would switch.....

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

You could buy a Tracfone pink (For T-Mobile) SIM and try that for a bit. This should show how well the signal is with your current device. $1 for the SIM at Walmart, BestBuy or Target, and not much for a phone plan ($15 for the cheapest smartphone plan).

Another option would be to get a Test Drive device for 30 days free.

Finally, you could go and sign up for a T-Mobile Connect plan, $15 per month prepaid.

If the IMEI checker is saying yes on compatibility, then it should be fine. I believe T-Mobile stopped allowing VoLTE incompatible devices to activate since Q1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I went yesterday to our local T Mobile store and asked them about testing my signal. They said no problem and ordered me a hotspot test drive that they will be sending me. 30 day test run with 30GB of data, just access with my phones wireless and see what kind of signal I get. She said it happens alot as we are rural and T Mobiles signal map shows many areas of a "fair" signal. I will report how it goes after I get the hotspot set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast