Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: AT&T Acceptable Phones Lists

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,198
    Feedback Score
    0

    AT&T Acceptable Phones Lists

    The lists have been updated. There is still no explanation of how the non-HD-VoLTE blessed phones are supposed to "still work" after 3G goes away.

    I am selling an unlocked phone on eBay, and I had to put a warning on the listing about this whole thing.

    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,295
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The lists have been updated. There is still no explanation of how the non-HD-VoLTE blessed phones are supposed to "still work" after 3G goes away.

    I am selling an unlocked phone on eBay, and I had to put a warning on the listing about this whole thing.

    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

    https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    Not sure what you mean. Every phone on the first list is listed as supporting HD Voice. Are there phones on the second list, which doesn't mention capabilities, that you know don't support VoLTE?
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Not sure what you mean. Every phone on the first list is listed as supporting HD Voice. Are there phones on the second list, which doesn't mention capabilities, that you know don't support VoLTE?
    The first list mentions the phones that can handle AT&T's apparently new and proprietary VoLTE. It is evidently a firmware/software thing that is either there or it isn't. Some phones can supposedly be updated in order to conform.

    The second list is a bunch of phones welcomed on AT&T. The VoLTE blessed ones and a bunch of newly 3G others.

    That's how it appears to me.

    I use Tracfone AT&T/BYOD sims. I can confirm that my factory unlocked Moto G6 Play does not get VoLTE on AT&T. I have tested it several times. So I moved to a different phone. I'm pretty sure I tried it on T-Mobile and it was OK. Maybe also Verizon, I don't remember. I was experimenting with different carriers at one time.

    We have been discussing this issue for some time, including the links to the lists.

    I have a Moto G5 Plus that isn't even on the combined list. It passes the T-Mobile and Verizon imei checkers just fine. I can't find an AT&T imei checker. I guess they want it to be a surprise, you have to buy a new phone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    So my Moto G6 XT1925DL gets HD voice and doesn't drop to 3G when I make a call, but I don't see it on the list.
    I don't believe that it will suddenly quit working next year, and the only phone on the accounts I manage that says (warning you need a new phone), is an older 3G phone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,154
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't know if those lists are for service on native AT&T, not MVNOs. The Phoenix 2 (K371) is on the list. I have one (Go Phone) that was unlocked by AT&T. It has a setting for VoLTE which stays ON when set. But it has no VoLTE when used with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM that has VoLTE in another phone (TCL A3).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,687
    Feedback Score
    0
    Those lists are on ATT's website. They're addressing ATT customers not TF customers. That's not to say they won't affect MVNO customers, they will, since we all know Verizon also has a whitelist and there's discussions concerning some phone functions not working there too. Also we all know MVNOs don't get the same features as being on the carrier itself. ATT being the current example, you may have a VoLTE phone but may not get VoLTE on an ATT Mvno. All I know is all the big3 carriers appear to be in the middle of a can of worms with their implementations of 3G shut down, 4G, and now 5G.

    I expect ATT and TM will be looking to buy out Mvno's like Vzw is TF. They've left the benefits of prepay and mvno's get away from them and want to tighten things up and reap the rewards for themselves. The clocks ticking on your built up 10,000 minutes and expiration date to 2050.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,295
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    0
    To get VoLTE on AT&T you need a SIM with 27 or higher in the 9th and 10th positions of the SIM ID https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1046244.

    This is true for TracFone GSMA and likely other AT&T MVNOs. I've confirmed this with two unlocked BYOP phones, a Pixel 3 XL and a Samsung S7 Edge on TracFone GSMA. With my old SIMs with 25 in positions 9 and 10 neither phone got VoLTE. With the newer "27" SIMs both phones did. The S7 Edge is an unlocked Verizon model that I flashed with unlocked US firmware. I suspect it will eventually get kicked off GSMA but at least for now TracFone isn't complaining.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,198
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    To get VoLTE on AT&T you need a SIM with 27 or higher in the 9th and 10th positions of the SIM ID https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1046244.

    This is true for TracFone GSMA and likely other AT&T MVNOs. I've confirmed this with two unlocked BYOP phones, a Pixel 3 XL and a Samsung S7 Edge on TracFone GSMA. With my old SIMs with 25 in positions 9 and 10 neither phone got VoLTE. With the newer "27" SIMs both phones did. The S7 Edge is an unlocked Verizon model that I flashed with unlocked US firmware. I suspect it will eventually get kicked off GSMA but at least for now TracFone isn't complaining.
    Both of my sims start like this: 8901410427

    They are vintage TMFL, so "27" has been a thing for a while. Your "25" sims must be pretty old.

    Anyway, the "27" sim thing is making no difference in certain phones. And these phones are actually not very old. They just don't have the AT&T VoLTE special extra thing, whatever that is.

    Are you sure you are getting VoLTE on the flashed phone?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    494
    Feedback Score
    0
    Of interest to Tracfone folks: Here are the Tracfone branded phones I see on the Compatible list.

    None of the Tracfone Samsung models are on the whitelist.

    A number of LG Tracfone models are listed: Journey, Premier Pro, Premier Pro Plus, Rebel 4 (the BL model, typically the Simple Mobile version), Reflect, Solo, Stylo 4, (Possibly the Stylo 5, although they have it listed as L722D instead of L722DL)

    Motorola phones, only the Tracfone G Play 2021 is listed.

    Alcatel/TCL models: A3, A3X, GoFlip3. (The A1 and A1X model names are listed, but with the model #'s for the A2, A2X. Not sure which is correct.)

    I really hope the flexibility remains better than that:
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,154
    Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    None of the Tracfone Samsung models are on the whitelist.

    Motorola phones, only the Tracfone G Play 2021 is listed.
    I see the Samsung A50 (S506DL) in the Unlocked list. In AT&T's nomenclature, an unlocked phone is one that's not branded by AT&T.

    AT&T lists two Moto G Stylus models: XT-2043-4 and XT2115-1. Forum member NanaC recently tested a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in her TF-branded Moto G Stylus (XT2115DL). Maybe she'll post on whether or not it had VoLTE calls during her testing.

    AT&T lists a Moto E (XT2052-1). I just tested my TF-branded Moto E 2020 (XT2052DL) with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and it used VoLTE for calls.

    So, those AT&T lists are full of holes as usual.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    485
    Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I see the Samsung A50 (S506DL) in the Unlocked list. In AT&T's nomenclature, an unlocked phone is one that's not branded by AT&T.

    AT&T lists two Moto G Stylus models: XT-2043-4 and XT2115-1. Forum member NanaC recently tested a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in her TF-branded Moto G Stylus (XT2115DL). Maybe she'll post on whether or not it had VoLTE calls during her testing.
    Yes, had VoLTE in my TF Moto G Stylus 2021. Also tried the BYOP TF/AT&T sim in a TF branded Moto G Power 2020 and it had VoLTE also.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    228
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know an LG335DL works (VoLTE) on ATT and T-Mobile with a BYOP sim.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    494
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I see the Samsung A50 (S506DL) in the Unlocked list. In AT&T's nomenclature, an unlocked phone is one that's not branded by AT&T.

    AT&T lists two Moto G Stylus models: XT-2043-4 and XT2115-1. Forum member NanaC recently tested a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM in her TF-branded Moto G Stylus (XT2115DL). Maybe she'll post on whether or not it had VoLTE calls during her testing.

    AT&T lists a Moto E (XT2052-1). I just tested my TF-branded Moto E 2020 (XT2052DL) with a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and it used VoLTE for calls.

    So, those AT&T lists are full of holes as usual.
    Thanks for letting me know I missed the Samsung A50/S506DL ! When I've looked at previous versions of those lists, I don't think any were on the Capabilities list than weren't also on the Compatible list, so I didn't scan that one today.

    I also hope the lists are full of holes: but the directions do state that the specific model # matters. If it's like Verizon's whitelist, just because a device is capable of working with VoLTE on the network does not necessarily mean the carrier will sanction it. Still, knowing that a model is working on Tracfone AT&T VoLTE does give hope. (I'm especially hoping for some of the Tracfone Moto models, since I have a few. Thanks, NanaC, for the report on the Moto G Power 2020-- I have one waiting to achieve an unlock.)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    485
    Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Thanks, NanaC, for the report on the Moto G Power 2020-- I have one waiting to achieve an unlock.)
    Your welcome.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    494
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    I know an LG335DL works (VoLTE) on ATT and T-Mobile with a BYOP sim.
    Thanks, Senkoboy. I don't see the Rebel K31/LG335DL on any of the lists, so hopefully it's an oversight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Updated AT&T authorized phone list
    By Nexus62 in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2021, 06:04 AM
  2. At&t phones on T-Mobile, volte specifically?
    By sharp99 in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2019, 07:48 PM
  3. New Samsung Express Prime phone for AT&T prepaid.
    By Vicpdx17 in forum AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM
  4. News: AT&T To Accept Phones For Military Charity
    By jasonfont426 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 05:13 PM
  5. What is Rogers/AT&T's SMSC phone number?
    By Unregistered in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2001, 12:06 PM

Bookmarks