Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any way to block SMS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The only option PPC offered me was to change the number but they couldn't say that the new number would not be worse than the current one. It's about one text a day. It could be 100.
    Maybe keep trying in hopes that you can get texting turned off completely by a different agent if that is what you want. PPC customer support agents are the same people as Tracfone. Not every one of them knows how to do arcane things or wants to be bothered to do it. It may be that they will really no longer do it.

As I said above, I got them to turn off texting completely. I don't want texts to the PPC number anyway. I only want them to go to my Google Voice number. GV no longer forwards to cell numbers, but the GV apps gets it if I have data turned on or am on Wifi. They do still forward texts to email. That requires data too.

Actually, thinking about it some more, If you don't want any texts, just let them run out. I could have done that instead.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think I'll try to see if I can get the senders to stop.

The CSR didn't seem to understand the problem. She suggested I block the texts in my phone. The texts get debited from my balance even if the phone is turned off and never receives the text.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I think I'll try to see if I can get the senders to stop.

The CSR didn't seem to understand the problem. She suggested I block the texts in my phone. The texts get debited from my balance even if the phone is turned off and never receives the text.
    Depends on what the junk is. If it is a legit company you may be able to get them to stop. Info services are supposed to stop if you text STOP ALL back to them. My experience with that has been hit and miss.

I have had good luck with just changing the number I got from Tracfone to get out of the previous number owner's junk. That's just luck though. You could get a worse number.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    For some unknown reason, my PP PAYG line has gone from receiving about 1 text per day before the chat with CS to none over the last few days. Success??

Feedback Score
    For some unknown reason, my PP PAYG line has gone from receiving about 1 text per day before the chat with CS to none over the last few days. Success??
    What did you ask them to do and they agreed to?

If you send a text to the PP number, is it received?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Maybe keep trying in hopes that you can get texting turned off completely by a different agent if that is what you want. PPC customer support agents are the same people as Tracfone. Not every one of them knows how to do arcane things or wants to be bothered to do it. It may be that they will really no longer do it.

As I said above, I got them to turn off texting completely. I don't want texts to the PPC number anyway. I only want them to go to my Google Voice number. GV no longer forwards to cell numbers, but the GV apps gets it if I have data turned on or am on Wifi. They do still forward texts to email. That requires data too.

Actually, thinking about it some more, If you don't want any texts, just let them run out. I could have done that instead.
    [Edit] Duh, I forgot we were talking about PP paygo. Letting the text bucket run out wouldn't work with that plan. I was thinking of Tracfone with separate buckets.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What did you ask them to do and they agreed to?

If you send a text to the PP number, is it received?
    They agreed to nothing and yes, I can send the phone a text.
    My theory is that whomever was sending the texts purged their list at New Years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think my incoming text issue has been solved. I started getting many fewer texts around New Years and those I did get, I replied "STOP" to and now have not received any texts for the last two weeks.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    All it takes to go back, though, is for some random spam-mill's mass dialer program to pull your number out of an electronic hat and go to town with it again. Pretty much the same for anybody with a number, unless the service provider or carrier has a program to thwart it.

Feedback Score
    Seems kind of shady of them (of course) to make us pay for text messages we don't receive.

That's like paying for a phone call that goes unanswered.

(Wait, are y'all gonna inform me that the minutes per call starts, say, at the 4th ring even if you don't answer?)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
    Seems kind of shady of them (of course) to make us pay for text messages we don't receive.

That's how the Vzw network has always worked, or at least since 1999 when I got my 1st cell phone.

Feedback Score

That's like paying for a phone call that goes unanswered.

(Wait, are y'all gonna inform me that the minutes per call starts, say, at the 4th ring even if you don't answer?)
    You are charged for any incoming texts and texts you send. Your opening and reading a text has no impact on being charged. It was still received; so the carrier charges your account. There a a few exceptions. When the carrier sends you certain text messages, these are usually free. Like, if you send "...BAL" as text message to your carrier, the message the carrier sends you may be free (but right now I'm not sure). I know I have sent a few texts as forwarded TO my carrier; and I received immediate responses as texts which were free. Also when you when carrier sends a text telling you, "... 5 days left..." , these are free.

Feedback Score
    If you are able to get them to disable text messages, are you still able to use their free BAL to 7243 service?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to purchase more minutes using the text message? There is with the 611611 service on TracFone/Total/Net10 etc.

Feedback Score
    If you are able to get them to disable text messages, are you still able to use their free BAL to 7243 service?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to purchase more minutes using the text message? There is with the 611611 service on TracFone/Total/Net10 etc.
    I lost track... which carrier you asking for ? "BAL to 7243" makes me think, "Page Plus Cellular". I am not sure if PPC has some texting<s> by</s> BUY more stuff arrangement. I know that US Mobile does. They have a special phone number you text to, in order to buy extra talk or text or data.
    Last edited by joseg2016; 01-23-2022 at 02:05 PM. Reason: rectify spelling mistakes

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From my experience, administrative texts (to or from the carrier) have always been free and cannot be blocked.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast