Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ting: The Little Cell Phone Company that Cried "No Service"

Feedback Score

Ting: The Little Cell Phone Company that Cried "No Service"

Once upon a time there was a cell phone company called Ting. Ting heard that someday their carrier T-Mobile was dropping 3G. So in 2019 they sent out emails to their customers saying "Buy a new phone or no service". But those customers phones continued to work. Then in 2020 they sent an email to their customers saying "Buy a new phone or no service". But those customers phones continued to work. Then this week, Ting sent out an email to their customers saying "Buy a new phone by October 1st, or no service". But their carrier T-Mobile says not to worry, the current service will continue to work just fine for the forseeable future for current customers.

We don't know when the VoLTE wolf will arrive at the door because Ting has cried 'no service' so many times when it's just flat out not been true.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    Once upon a time there was a cell phone company called Ting. Ting heard that someday their carrier T-Mobile was dropping 3G. So in 2019 they sent out emails to their customers saying "Buy a new phone or no service". But those customers phones continued to work. Then in 2020 they sent an email to their customers saying "Buy a new phone or no service". But those customers phones continued to work. Then this week, Ting sent out an email to their customers saying "Buy a new phone by October 1st, or no service". But their carrier T-Mobile says not to worry, the current service will continue to work just fine for the forseeable future for current customers.

We don't know when the VoLTE wolf will arrive at the door because Ting has cried 'no service' so many times when it's just flat out not been true.
    They are likely moving all their customers to AT&T as the primary carrier, are they saying that is a problem? I know AT&T is shutting down 3G this February, 2022.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Never forget that MVNO's don't own their own network and rely on the big 3 providers for service. They are not certain about when a network will be shut down when and where. They get their information from the carrier, they don't implement those changes directly. Pick your battles more carefully.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 09-10-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Serial, I am not "battling" with anyone. I am reporting what Ting has said and what the reality has been. The thing is, no one else is jumping up and down about this. Do you see dozens of posts here about "Oh no, my phone is dying in 3 weeks?" No, because it's only Ting saying this.

As for moving to AT&T's network, that would be fine if they said "February, you're out of luck" But they didn't. They said October 1st. But T-Mobile *does not* say that. I got my information from the carrier too. And the carrier says "Don't worry about it". I am not paraphrasing, that's what T-Mobile says.

Even if Ting had said "We don't know if there will be a problem, but we're afraid that on October 1st, your service will die". They don't say that. They say definitively, that the service will be out on October 1st.

Feedback Score
    AT&T is the one causing chaos with their proprietary VoLTE that excludes many phones that can't use it. Then they claim that phones will still work anyway on 3G even though they plan to shut down 3G, so how will the phones still work? AT&T voice will be gone even for some relatively new phones.

I sense that T-Mobile is watching all of this and is planning to be the "good guy" and not mess with people by issuing contradictory and dumb proclamations, and troublesome technology.

This whole thing might be Dish chaos.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donald_s View Post
    Do you see dozens of posts here about "Oh no, my phone is dying in 3 weeks?" No, because it's only Ting saying this.
    Incorrect, I see it being argued on more than one thread and other internet forums by multiple individuals, not just Ting customers. Verizon and T-Mobile MVNOs are doing the same thing. Don't try to convince anyone that At&t is the only carrier where this is an issue.

I am not trying to make light of the situation, I want users to understand the reality and that this is an industry trend with all carriers (postpaid, prepaid and MVNO). Who knows what will the cellular networks will look like in a year from now ? Certainly not me. I have ideas, but I can only speculate with the rest of you.

Feedback Score
    It's not just Ting saying things will shut down. I bought a Sonim 4G LTE cell about a year ago that was supposed to be set to pass through the shutdown. It ended up being "labeled" as a 3G on Consumer Cellular with an AT&T SIM (AT&T is the troublemaker). Consumer Cellular sent me an email about a week ago saying I had 30 days to get a different cell. I bought a new cell to avoid the problem.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    There are long threads in the Cricket, AT&T prepaid and Tracfone subs about this same exact thing.

Carrier(s)
    Tello (for the time being)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    They are likely moving all their customers to AT&T as the primary carrier, are they saying that is a problem? I know AT&T is shutting down 3G this February, 2022.
    I pay for a number with H2O for my sister-in-law and she's been using my old Samsung Solstice 2 for years. Curiously, I have not received any notice from H2O regarding the 3G shutdown.
    I have several religious and historical books for sale in my Bonanza booth.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I pay for a number with H2O for my sister-in-law and she's been using my old Samsung Solstice 2 for years. Curiously, I have not received any notice from H2O regarding the 3G shutdown.
    Just curious, where does she live ?? If H20 hasn't sent a notice, you should get one shortly. This shutdown is happening and just because you didn't get a notice yet, it won't change the inevitability.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5T
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    And once the switch actually does happen there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth by people who did not change phones even though they were warned 3 times.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    And once the switch actually does happen there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth by people who did not change phones even though they were warned 3 times.
    I guarantee that will happen. I remember working at At&t when Analog was finally shut down and how people swore up and down that they were not warned ahead of time and it wasn't fair. Another common argument was that I am running a business and I have to have a working phone now.

My reply was essentially, no better time than getting a new phone. In reality, At&t sent very basic phones to affected customers still using the older phones for free, at least 3 months prior to the shutdown and they refused to call and activate them. Some customers left At&t and went to other carriers, and many came back to At&t after switching.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Some people of some service (not being specific even though I can if I want) were never notified until they walked in to a store to make a prepaid contribution for their account, and store's representative told them that support for the device will stop soon,...

Carrier(s)
    Tello (for the time being)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Just curious, where does she live ?? If H20 hasn't sent a notice, you should get one shortly. This shutdown is happening and just because you didn't get a notice yet, it won't change the inevitability.
    She lives in Pennsylvania. Fortunately I have a spare smartphone that I can give her when that old Samsung Solstice goes belly-up due to the 3G shutdown.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    She lives in Pennsylvania. Fortunately I have a spare smartphone that I can give her when that old Samsung Solstice goes belly-up due to the 3G shutdown.
    Sounds like you are prepared and will help her when the time comes. Best wishes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast