Thread: Magenta Essentials customers - how is your data speed?

Feedback Score

Magenta Essentials customers - how is your data speed?

Currently with Ting on T-Mobile SIMs, but the depriortization is bad in my locations. T-Mobile has 3rd line free right now on Magenta plans, so was contemplating switching 3 lines to the Magenta Essentials plan. But then I noticed in the fine print: "During congestion, customers on this plan may notice speeds lower than other customers and further reduction if using >50GB/mo., due to data prioritization."

Just how bad is the deprioritization? On my current Ting service, data becomes unusable (< 1 Mbps) most of the workday near my office, so if it's going to be that bad on Essentials, there's no need to switch. If it weren't too bad, say 5+ Mbps, that would be fine. I realize the speed will vary greatly by location, so I guess my real question is - would Magenta Essentials deprioritization be as bad being on an MVNO, or would it still be superior to MVNO using T-Mobile's network.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Essentials and MVNOs besides Fi have the same data priority. What you're experiencing on Ting will be what you will experience on Essentials. Essentials is the worst plan that T-Mobile offers, even T-Mobile prepaid plans have postpaid priority instead of MVNO priority.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Essentials and MVNOs besides Fi have the same data priority. What you're experiencing on Ting will be what you will experience on Essentials. Essentials is the worst plan that T-Mobile offers, even T-Mobile prepaid plans have postpaid priority instead of MVNO priority.
    Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Never considered Google Fi. Looks like they have 3 lines for $90 with no slowing until after 22GB. Hmmm. . .

I infer from your post that Fi isn't deprioritized? If that's correct, I could live with 22GB before slowing.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gh1138 View Post
    Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Never considered Google Fi. Looks like they have 3 lines for $90 with no slowing until after 22GB. Hmmm. . .

I infer from your post that Fi isn't deprioritized? If that's correct, I could live with 22GB before slowing.
    Google Fi has postpaid priority. Keep in mind though that 22gb is a hard cap. You are slowed to a max speed below 1mbps after the 22gb. It's not a soft cap to where you are just deprioritized after 22gb.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm on legacy TMobile One, and I get the notification going over , and I can/do still hit 700Mbps

Sent from my SM-A326U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.