Thread: iPhone 13 Supports 5G Bands n29 and n30

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone 13 Supports 5G Bands n29 and n30

https://www.apple.com/iphone-13/specs/

Iím fairly confident that the additions of n29 and n30 portend the imminent debut of AT&T 5G Standalone because without those bands, AT&Tís sub-7 GHz 5G canít hope to compete with the speeds of their legacy 4G LTE network. But with n2, n5, n12, n29, n30, and n66, the new iPhones support all of the licensed capacity bands that AT&T has been using for its LTE network. Itís still missing n14 (FirstNet 5G) and n46 (LAA 5G), but n14 isnít a capacity band and if youíre within range of LAA, youíre almost certainly also close enough for mmWave to work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Every year the iPhone has better support. But I can't upgrade EVERY year for personal reasons. ie I don't want to spend the money
    I just finally got low band 5g where I live the last month.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    I’ve been thinking the same — that AT&T might push an SA-enabled carrier profile with iOS 15 or soon after.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post

Iím fairly confident that the additions of n29 and n30 portend the imminent debut of AT&T 5G Standalone because without those bands, AT&Tís sub-7 GHz 5G canít hope to compete with the speeds of their legacy 4G LTE network. But with n2, n5, n12, n29, n30, and n66, the new iPhones support all of the licensed capacity bands that AT&T has been using for its LTE network. Itís still missing n14 (FirstNet 5G) and n46 (LAA 5G), but n14 isnít a capacity band and if youíre within range of LAA, youíre almost certainly also close enough for mmWave to work.
    Had to look up portend. Thought it was a misspelling. Never heard that word before.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I read a lot of books.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Until carriers and devices support carrier aggregation on 5g SA, it won't help too much, unless.you have a ton of spectrum, or ran out of LTE bands that can aggregate and can add NR onto. In my area, At&t has a lot of spectrum. B2 20MHz, B14 10MHz, B66 10MHz, B30 10MHz, another B66 5MHz.

Sent from my SM-A326U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Until carriers and devices support carrier aggregation on 5g SA, it won't help too much, unless.you have a ton of spectrum, or ran out of LTE bands that can aggregate and can add NR onto. In my area, At&t has a lot of spectrum. B2 20MHz, B14 10MHz, B66 10MHz, B30 10MHz, another B66 5MHz.

Sent from my SM-A326U using HoFo mobile app
    No b12 or b5 or b29?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score

I’m fairly confident that the additions of n29 and n30 portend the imminent debut of AT&T 5G Standalone because without those bands, AT&T’s sub-7 GHz 5G can’t hope to compete with the speeds of their legacy 4G LTE network. But with n2, n5, n12, n29, n30, and n66, the new iPhones support all of the licensed capacity bands that AT&T has been using for its LTE network. It’s still missing n14 (FirstNet 5G) and n46 (LAA 5G), but n14 isn’t a capacity band and if you’re within range of LAA, you’re almost certainly also close enough for mmWave to work.
    It's not likely we will ever see n14.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Uh, it’s 100% certain we will see n14. There is zero doubt about it. The only question is when.

5G will eventually replace LTE, but even before then, first responders are going to want the lower latency of 5G Standalone, which will push AT&T to deploy n14 to further bolster FirstNet 5G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Uh, it’s 100% certain we will see n14. There is zero doubt about it. The only question is when.

5G will eventually replace LTE, but even before then, first responders are going to want the lower latency of 5G Standalone, which will push AT&T to deploy n14 to further bolster FirstNet 5G.
    Okay, sorry... To be more clear, we will see it once LTE is shut down, but probably not before. The FN Authority dictates how that spectrum is used and they want it left as LTE for the foreseeable future.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I'm guessing n29 will possibly be for Canadian roaming?. It's unpaired FDD, so it could only be deployed as NSA here or maybe a SCC NR carrier. Not sure if that's even supported on the network side yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    n29 will be used to supplement AT&T 5G downlink capacity, just like how AT&T uses it to supplement their LTE downlink capacity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    n29 will be used to supplement AT&T 5G downlink capacity, just like how AT&T uses it to supplement their LTE downlink capacity.
    Do we have any evidence to support this existing in the near term other than the iPhone 13 series supporting it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In 2020 AT&T said they’d roll out 5G SA by the end of this year, but earlier this year they implied that it might take a little longer. https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/at...core-timelines