Thread: ATT Promises to steal mobile customers from rivals

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ATT Promises to steal mobile customers from rivals

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Good luck. Been saying for years how badly AT&T needs to densify. Verizon's got small cells all over the place near me, tons of mmWave in cities and even on suburban neighborhood street corners, and speeds that are often faster deprioritized than AT&T on QCI7.

If they want to "steal" customers from Verizon and T-Mobile, they need to get latency under control (it has been 80+ms for over a month now), get upload CA going to improve abysmal upload speeds (especially with B12 PCC), and densify so that you're not stuck on B12-only in the suburbs and rural areas.

Until that's done, I can't see how anybody's going to come to AT&T: T-Mobile's got the lock on low-cost service, and Verizon still has the most robust, fastest network at a premium price. AT&T seems to be trying to ride the middle, but over the past couple years they've been too busy wasting money on entertainment and other "side projects," while the competition's continuous investments in upgrades are pushing AT&T closer to T-Mobile/Sprint-level quality at a near-Verizon price.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I’m shocked AT&T hasn’t deployed uplink CA to their entire network given the uplink advantage inherent to their competitors’ higher number of 20+20 MHz midband licenses. Uplink CA is the only way for AT&T to compete with those “wideband” contiguous channels. (Quotes around “wideband” because a 20 MHz channel being considered wide is pretty quaint now that we have 800 MHz wide channels in operation.)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    I’m shocked AT&T hasn’t deployed uplink CA to their entire network given the uplink advantage inherent to their competitors’ higher number of 20+20 MHz midband licenses. Uplink CA is the only way for AT&T to compete with those “wideband” contiguous channels. (Quotes around “wideband” because a 20 MHz channel being considered wide is pretty quaint now that we have 800 MHz wide channels in operation.)
    AT&T has had UL CA deployed across their entire network for at least 2 years, maybe 3. Devices support limited combos, so it isn’t used as much as it could be if the current devices supported more combos.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Feedback Score
    Only thing att will do is steal from their customers with all the garbage fees especially on postpaid

Kidding but they need to add to the density if they want to truly compete long term. Att network has been working really well for me now, better than anyone else so hopefully it stays that way

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by daisydoo; 09-16-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Good luck. Been saying for years how badly AT&T needs to densify. Verizon's got small cells all over the place near me, tons of mmWave in cities and even on suburban neighborhood street corners, and speeds that are often faster deprioritized than AT&T on QCI7.

If they want to "steal" customers from Verizon and T-Mobile, they need to get latency under control (it has been 80+ms for over a month now), get upload CA going to improve abysmal upload speeds (especially with B12 PCC), and densify so that you're not stuck on B12-only in the suburbs and rural areas.

Until that's done, I can't see how anybody's going to come to AT&T: T-Mobile's got the lock on low-cost service, and Verizon still has the most robust, fastest network at a premium price. AT&T seems to be trying to ride the middle, but over the past couple years they've been too busy wasting money on entertainment and other "side projects," while the competition's continuous investments in upgrades are pushing AT&T closer to T-Mobile/Sprint-level quality at a near-Verizon price.
    They led the industry last quarter in postpaid phone adds. Seems they are doing just fine honestly. Wouldn't be surprised if they lead the industry this quarter as well.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sounds like they're the worst in your market. Thankfully, NYC Boroughs, they've been adding some macro's and small cells like crazy and still adding them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Sounds like they're the worst in your market. Thankfully, NYC Boroughs, they've been adding some macro's and small cells like crazy and still adding them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Stop making me miss New York lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile/Verizon
    Feedback Score

ATT Promises to steal mobile customers from rivals

I do not put much stock in anecdotal experiences when it comes to general network quality. The area you are in doesn’t represent everyone’s experience with AT&T.

Feedback Score

Verizon and TMobile also wasted money on entertainment lol. Verizon purchased Yahoo and tried to have exclusive content and TMobile with the TV service they purchased lol. Nonetheless in my experiences while traveling AT&T and Verizon are pretty much tit for tat. I wouldn't put them in third as far as service go. With the combined sprint and t-mobile they may technically be third based on number of customers but they still kill T-mobile as far as service and hangs right with Verizon. Everywhere Verizon works my AT&T phone works with the exception of a few places but its a trade off because there are places where AT&T works but Verizon doesn't but for the most part they both work. Nonetheless with AT&T being refocused on their core business I feel like they have a shot at overtaking Verizon

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    ...With the combined sprint and t-mobile they [AT&T] may technically be third based on number of customers...
    T-Mobile's claim that they have achieved second place in customer count is base on their cherry-picked metric of the customer count that ignores a lot of AT&T customer lines. AT&T is still second overall.

T-Mo has done amazing things coming from a distant third behind Sprint. This is very good for competition in the cell service market. But they still have a long way to go to be on par with Verizon and AT&T overall.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm available. Make me a deal. Actually, while speaking with Uverse customer care the other day, she tried but couldn't touch my 55+ plan from T-Mobile, even with the bundling discount with my Uverse Internet.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I’m on 55+ T-Mobile one plan grandfathered @ $60 with one plus promo free. If AT&T matched this with taxes and fees included they will win my business

Device(s)
    LG G8, Galaxy A32 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    AT&T has had UL CA deployed across their entire network for at least 2 years, maybe 3. Devices support limited combos, so it isn’t used as much as it could be if the current devices supported more combos.
    Is there a list of devices that support AT&T UL CA, besides for newish iPhones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zspa710 View Post
    Is there a list of devices that support AT&T UL CA, besides for newish iPhones?
    see this article - https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...on-lte-network

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast