Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to get an ATT sim

Feedback Score

how to get an ATT sim

(1) I remember that there used to be special zip codes we can type into ebay/HSN so we can buy/use an (BYOD) ATT tracfone sim. I wonder if that is still the case, and if so what are those zip codes?

(2) Assuming that the answer to (1) is YES: Is it possible to transfer service/balance etc from an existing TF phone on verizon to a new BYOD ATT sim?

Yes I am aware of the impending TF/Verizon merger.

THANKS!

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    1. I don't understand your question. If you want to use a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, just buy a TF BYOP SIM Kit on Ebay, or at a local Best Buy, Target, Family Dollar, etc and use the TF/AT&T SIM in that kit. The kit comes with BYOP SIMs for all 3 carriers that TF uses. You don't need to supply a zip code to buy or activate a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM.

2. Yes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1. I don't understand your question. If you want to use a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, just buy a TF BYOP SIM Kit on Ebay, or at a local Best Buy, Target, Family Dollar, etc and use the TF/AT&T SIM in that kit. The kit comes with BYOP SIMs for all 3 carriers that TF uses. You don't need to supply a zip code to buy or activate a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM.
    I see. Let me ask a different question: Is it possible to buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN and then activate it on ATT network (in an area where VZW is available)? (I know that some of the TF-branded phones run on all networks).

THANKS!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOn View Post
    I see. Let me ask a different question: Is it possible to buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN and then activate it on ATT network (in an area where VZW is available)? (I know that some of the TF-branded phones run on all networks).

THANKS!
    If you put a BYOP sim card in it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Let me ask a different question: Is it possible to buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN and then activate it on ATT network (in an area where VZW is available)? (I know that some of the TF-branded phones run on all networks).
    No, you cannot activate a TF-branded phone that comes with a TF/VZW SIM (most if not all do nowadays) on AT&T. You can activate a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and use it in that phone (if it's a DL model). It's not sanctioned by TF, but so far they haven't stopped people from doing so.

BTW, if you buy a TF-branded phone that comes with bundled buckets/days, you'll need to activate that phone (with a transfer from your current phone if applicable) using its original SIM to get the bundled buckets/days. Afterward, you can transfer service from that phone to a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, then use that BYOP SIM in the phone (unsanctioned).

Feedback Score
    No, you cannot activate a TF-branded phone that comes with a TF/VZW SIM (most if not all do nowadays) on AT&T. You can activate a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM and use it in that phone (if it's a DL model). It's not sanctioned by TF, but so far they haven't stopped people from doing so.

BTW, if you buy a TF-branded phone that comes with bundled buckets/days, you'll need to activate that phone (with a transfer from your current phone if applicable) using its original SIM to get the bundled buckets/days. Afterward, you can transfer service from that phone to a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, then use that BYOP SIM in the phone (unsanctioned).
    I didn't phrased my second question very well so let me try again: Can I buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN that activates --- using the sim that comes with the phone --- on ATT and not verizon? Put in another way: When I place the order on ebay/HSN, is there a way to specify that I want a TF-branded phone with an ATT-sim?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, ZTE F160
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I didn't phrased my second question very well so let me try again: Can I buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN that activates --- using the sim that comes with the phone --- on ATT and not verizon? Put in another way: When I place the order on ebay/HSN, is there a way to specify that I want a TF-branded phone with an ATT-sim?

Thanks!
    Probably not on eBay or HSN, since all the Tracfones for sale there come with Verizon SIMs.
    If you buy directly from TracFone.com, you can specify that the phone will be used in zip code 78838, and I think it should come with an AT&T SIM.

UPDATE:. Well I just tried that and the only thing Trac offered was a T-Mobile BYOP SIM. It may be that TracFone is just not selling ANY AT&T phones at present. In that case you can still by the BYOP AT&T SIM and use it in an unlocked phone.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Can I buy a TF-branded phone on ebay/HSN that activates --- using the sim that comes with the phone --- on ATT and not verizon? Put in another way: When I place the order on ebay/HSN, is there a way to specify that I want a TF-branded phone with an ATT-sim?
    As far as I know, there's no current (came to market in 2020 and later) TF-branded smartphones that come with a TF/AT&T SIM. It's not like the old days when TF have different versions/phones for use with different carriers and you can choose by specifying a particular zip code.

If you see an older model with suffix "AL" (AT&T LTE) then you can buy it and activate its original SIM on TF/AT&T.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    If you buy directly from TracFone.com, you can specify that the phone will be used in zip code 78838, and I think it should come with an AT&T SIM.
    I just went to TF web site--->SHOP-->Phones, put in zip code 78838 and this is the only that it showed.

Name:  Tracfone-choice-zip-78838.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  115.4 KB

Feedback Score

Thanks!
    Just so as @hpham said in post #5. You can get a TF byop sim kit with a TF/ATT sim at pretty much any local store he mentioned in post #2. By the time you even order and get the phone you'll already have the sim. Done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Probably not on eBay or HSN, since all the Tracfones for sale there come with Verizon SIMs.

UPDATE:. Well I just tried that and the only thing Trac offered was a T-Mobile BYOP SIM. It may be that TracFone is just not selling ANY AT&T phones at present. In that case you can still by the BYOP AT&T SIM and use it in an unlocked phone.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app
    As recently as a couple of years ago if I went to a local Mart or Dollar store TracFone's came with a ATT sim. Last time I looked my Dollar store didn't have any TracFones on the shelf, and Mart just has phone picture cards on the shelf, the phones are under lockdown so I can't see the boxes.
    If I use my zip code 73701, at TracFone I get little options.
    TracFone wouldn't even activate a Verizon phone with my zip code, I had to give them a different one. For me, either I pay for a Mart phone with no airtime that's the same price as a HSN bundle, or use a BYOP sim.

Feedback Score

2. Yes.
    I recently activated a Tracfone branded A405DL that came with a TF/Verizon sim with a BYOP TF/AT&T sim. On the TF website go to activate, I'm bringing my own smartphone, accept, simcard number, continue. It should work from there. (BYOP sim kit at Family Dollar, $1.00)

Feedback Score

Thanks!
    Name:  IMG_20210917_085428501.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  47.5 KB

They do exist in wild! But not on e-bay or HSN

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    Did you find that at an online store or at a local store?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    Name:  IMG_20210917_085428501.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  47.5 KB

Yeah... what company has enough clout with Tracfone to be allowed to sell such a wild endangered species?
    Although TF is not reluctant to sell bundled and unbundled AT&T BYOP SIMs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast