Thread: Question about Cricket locked phone

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question about Cricket locked phone

Looks like if I stay with Cricket I am going to need a different phone. My LG Stylo 4 is unlocked but has a T Mobile model number. My question is if I buy a phone from Swappa that is locked to Cricket will it work come Feb 2020? Their website says it must be unlocked but some of these phones for sale say they can be unlocked in 180 days. I would like to know before I buy a phone that won't work in a few months....thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You should ask the seller for the IMEI # assigned to the phone and research the phone status to confirm the phone has not been blacklisted as lost/stolen. If so, you cannot use it in the US with any provider, locked or unlocked. For instance, if the seller cancelled service prior to 6 months for any reason, the phone cannot be unlocked.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have bought numerous phones from the Swappa site they are very particular about locked IMEI numbers. Just trying to find out if a locked Cricket network phone can be used until it has been unlocked? Assume their new phones are locked to Cricket when sold, I really don't know.

Feedback Score
    My question would be will Cricket unlock for other than the original owner?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Good question, never thought of that scenario....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    I have bought numerous phones from the Swappa site they are very particular about locked IMEI numbers. Just trying to find out if a locked Cricket network phone can be used until it has been unlocked? Assume their new phones are locked to Cricket when sold, I really don't know.
    If the phone is a cricket phone and you're going to use it on cricket, then yes you can use the phone no problem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Usually what I do is if I'm not the original owner even if it's a cricket phone, what I will do is go to the AT&T unlock site and they will usually unlock it if you use the option that you are not an AT&T customer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I believe it does. About 2 years ago, I got a few free phones when porting my phone number deal using a different account. I used one of the phones, went thru the 180 days and I was able to unlock the phone via app. However, the problem many of these phones are used for the domestic markets so it doesn't support LTE bands from other countries. So watch out for that.

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good info, thanks for all the input......

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Make sure it is a currently compatible model too.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Make sure it is a currently compatible model too.
    I have the compatibility list for AT&T and Cricket. I would think they should both be the same huh??

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    I have the compatibility list for AT&T and Cricket. I would think they should both be the same huh??
    Should be but I’ve heard differently

Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Right now have an LG V40 Thinq ATT unlocked and the IMEI checker on Crickets site show it's good. I still need 2 more phones for my wife and son that are going to work soon.....

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    JMO, and I may not fully understand your true intentions, but if you're going to stay with cricket, then cricket offers a host of phones for either free or at a good discount, especially for port ins, and they're ways to use that work around for the port in price.

Getting a new phone helps to eliminate a lot of potential problems which can occur with used phones, such as previously abused batteries, worn out charger/ear phone ports, bad buttons, screen issues, etc, etc. And you get the manufacturers one year warranty.
    TV
    In that I've bought numerous both used and new phones, the odds usually favor a new one, as I've currently got minor ear plug and charge port issues with two new phones but still under warranty, so while it's annoying, I don't have to worry.

And no disrespect to the lg phone I've had them as far back as the stylo 3, but even the stylo 6 is a bit of a dog compared to numerous others brands. Not to mention lg is apparently going out of the phone business, ie, no support, updates, etc.