Thread: Sister and brother-in-law; Raleigh; weird problem

Device(s)
    iPhone 12mini 64gig (me), iPhone 12pro 128gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sister and brother-in-law; Raleigh; weird problem

I'll start with the problem; their iPhone XR phones will drop calls every minute or so from their house

They have tried with and without Wi-Fi calling enabled; same dropping issue

Verizon has given them new SIMs

They can make Facetime calls, use notebook computers and use web services on these phones from home

On vacation 2 weeks ago, they used the local Wi-Fi and had no difficulty with Wi-Fi calling

They can take a walk up and down their street, perhaps a mile each way, and maintain excellent cellular connection

Apple has looked at their phones, found nothing wrong. ATT has (on-site) looked at their gateway/router when an upgrade from copper to fiber was done perhaps a month ago; problem was the same before and after

Verizon coverage maps show them to be in a 5G (but the phones do not support it). Just a block away, there is a roughly 4 football field area that is not covered by 5G, 4G LTE only, but I don't see how that matters?

The only thing that, to me, fits at all is that there is a very strong radio signal in their home which interferes with cellular and Wi-Fi for the phones. BUT, phone data is fine, notebooks work fine.

They are, in frustration, planning to drop ATT U-verse and the fiber connection and switch to the local cable company for internet and stream everything. The appointment is in mid-November.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

(oh, why is a T-Mobile customer posting here? Pre-COVID, my wife traveled to Europe 2 or 3 times a year. They have data included. Also we are in our 70s and the 55+ plans are less than half we'd spend on a post-paid Verizon plan.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
    I'll start with the problem; their iPhone XR phones will drop calls every minute or so from their house

They have tried with and without Wi-Fi calling enabled; same dropping issue

Verizon has given them new SIMs

They can make Facetime calls, use notebook computers and use web services on these phones from home

On vacation 2 weeks ago, they used the local Wi-Fi and had no difficulty with Wi-Fi calling

They can take a walk up and down their street, perhaps a mile each way, and maintain excellent cellular connection

Apple has looked at their phones, found nothing wrong. ATT has (on-site) looked at their gateway/router when an upgrade from copper to fiber was done perhaps a month ago; problem was the same before and after

Verizon coverage maps show them to be in a 5G (but the phones do not support it). Just a block away, there is a roughly 4 football field area that is not covered by 5G, 4G LTE only, but I don't see how that matters?

The only thing that, to me, fits at all is that there is a very strong radio signal in their home which interferes with cellular and Wi-Fi for the phones. BUT, phone data is fine, notebooks work fine.

They are, in frustration, planning to drop ATT U-verse and the fiber connection and switch to the local cable company for internet and stream everything. The appointment is in mid-November.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

(oh, why is a T-Mobile customer posting here? Pre-COVID, my wife traveled to Europe 2 or 3 times a year. They have data included. Also we are in our 70s and the 55+ plans are less than half we'd spend on a post-paid Verizon plan.)
    Small world are their iPhones updated to latest firmware? Tried backing up and doing a factory reset? Tried the sim in another phone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    A marginal cellular signal inside the house may be the problem. I would try turning on Airplane Mode while inside the house. Then turn on Wifi, & try making some test calls & see if it they stay connected. Let us know your findings.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AdwinDawn View Post
    Small world are their iPhones updated to latest firmware? Tried backing up and doing a factory reset? Tried the sim in another phone?
    latest firmware?; yes

Tried backing up and doing a factory reset?; They are SO non technical, they'd have Apple do it. They have an Apple Store appointment soon (I don't know their definition of soon). Apple checked the phones a month or so ago and found no problems, but gave them new SIMs anyway. No improvement.

Tried the sim in another phone?; They each have XR's, identical problem, new SIMs; they don't have another phone to try.

It just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    A marginal cellular signal inside the house may be the problem.
    Friends visiting with similar phones have no trouble, my sister says; I'm not comfortable this is 100% accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I would try turning on Airplane Mode while inside the house. Then turn on Wifi, & try making some test calls & see if it they stay connected. Let us know your findings.
    That didn't help. From her yesterday, "We were on with “Apple diagnostics” for about an hour last week and she ran some tests and saw some cellular irregularities that she thinks may be the problem!!?? So we go in this week for an in person diagnosis with Apple at Crabtree."

Crabtree is a large Raleigh shopping center.

I'll let you know where/how it ends.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    My sister lives near Raleigh in Nuese. She used to have an XR & it had reception issues, but she hasn't complained since getting the 11 Pro Max. Wondering if the XR has a weaker radio/antenna set-up than the newer models?

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The XR does use an Intel LTE radio so that could make a difference. Most phones (including quite a few iPhone models) use Qualcomm radios (although my Stratosphere had a Mediatek CDMA/EVDO radio and a Samsung LTE radio.. a bit of a power hog...). You'd hope Intel + Apple would have gotten VoLTE stabilized on it.. well, maybe the debug info they get from you will help with that.

On the other hand... a few spots in Wisconsin, the sites seemed to just drop calls every couple minutes (this was just on straight CDMA). Whether in a call or not, the phone would lose service for a few seconds every few minutes then service would come back. It did that when the coverage was Alltel, continued to do it (for several years) when it was a Verizon Wireless site (... there was no overlapping coverage there, so at first I don't think they went to the sites at all, just updated phones to show the network as native instead of "extended network".) I mean it's unlikely, and in that case it'd kick all phones off every minute or two not just XR. But I might as well mention it since I saw it happen once.

Feedback Score
    Stop using WiFi calling altogether. If their home router is not configured for QoS and doesn't have 5GHz band, the quality of voice connection will be like that.
    The other devices "work" because some packet loses are not important, they can wait a bit for that missing data to be re-transmitted.
    Voice requires constant connection, because it is in real time. Your brain cannot "wait" for retransmissions.
    Also, in most of residential areas the 2.4GHz band is super crowded, because everyone has bought cheap WiFi routers that are capable only to work in that band.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Stop using WiFi calling altogether. If their home router is not configured for QoS and doesn't have 5GHz band, the quality of voice connection will be like that.
    The other devices "work" because some packet loses are not important, they can wait a bit for that missing data to be re-transmitted.
    Voice requires constant connection, because it is in real time. Your brain cannot "wait" for retransmissions.
    You missed that we can maintain real time voice AND VIDEO calls over FaceTime.

(They tried, multiple times, disabling W-Fi calling; still drops calls in the house)

I'm of the opinion, with NO EVIDENCE, that something is interfering with the phones in the house. But the FaceTime result contradicts that.

It worked fine until this spring/summer.

They've been Verizon subscribers since the early/mid 1990s for sure, maybe late 1980s.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Also, in most of residential areas the 2.4GHz band is super crowded, because everyone has bought cheap WiFi routers that are capable only to work in that band.
    I wish my husband would upgrade our Roku to support wifi 5gz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    I wish my husband would upgrade our Roku to support wifi 5gz

Considering how cheap they are I wonder why he doesn't. They have new models out