Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I still get TF unlocked if I combine balances?

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Can I still get TF unlocked if I combine balances?

I have 3 active TFs and my Moto e6 has a service expiration date of December. I want to keep the number since I've had it since 2016.

I have two eBay Moto bundle phones that will expire in April 2022. I plan to unlock them for in case VZ doesn't continue the TF plans I like.

If I combine my account that's expiring in December with one of the bundle phones, and i keep the number from the phone that was expiring instead of the bundle phone's number, can I still get that bundle phone unlocked?

If not then I'd rather just add service time to the phone that expires in December, the years service (49.99) or 90 day cards for $20. It has over 3000 talk minutes so I don't really need more airtime.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It seems that the actions that you want to perform only involve 2 phones. I would keep things as simple as possible, and rephrase the question so that only 2 phones are involved, so that it is not needlessly confusing. Or maybe 3 phones are involved here, and I am the one who is failing to see the connection. Wouldn't be the first time that that has happened.

Feedback Score
    I think you have to keep a bundle phone "as-is" (except for adding airtime). Changes will mess up the account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I have 3 active TFs and my Moto e6 has a service expiration date of December. I want to keep the number since I've had it since 2016.

I have two eBay Moto bundle phones that will expire in April 2022. I plan to unlock them for in case VZ doesn't continue the TF plans I like.

If I combine my account that's expiring in December with one of the bundle phones, and i keep the number from the phone that was expiring instead of the bundle phone's number, can I still get that bundle phone unlocked?

If not then I'd rather just add service time to the phone that expires in December, the years service (49.99) or 90 day cards for $20. It has over 3000 talk minutes so I don't really need more airtime.
    Read the unlocking policy:
    https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

"Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported."

If you port the December expiring number over the existing TF April 2022 expiring number that would make the existing 4/22 expiring number recycled and make the phone ineligible to unlock.

That said, I would try unlocking it anyway. I was not aware of the number change rule and changed the TF assigned number on a phone shortly after activating it because the number was getting a lot of unwanted texts that were wasting my text balance. When I contacted TF by chat they said that they couldn't process the unlock because it did not have the number that was initially assigned. I explained why the number changed and they escalated it to the unlock department. After I explained there they went ahead and did the unlock.

If you unlock the December 21 expiring E6 you will be ineligible to unlock the April 22 until 12 months after unlocking the December 21 expiring one if it is on the same account as the December 21 expiring one.

"Customers are eligible for this [unlocking] program only once every twelve months."

It's not complicated at all is it? It could be worse. They could have an unlock program that says you can but not actually do it. That would be very like Tracfone.

TF experts: Can you even port a number to an existing number and account? I know you can do it when you activate a phone and don't get a new TF number assigned.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Read the unlocking policy:
    https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

"Customers must have had their locked device activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported."

If you port the December expiring number over the existing TF April 2022 expiring number that would make the existing 4/22 expiring number recycled and make the phone ineligible to unlock.

That said, I would try unlocking it anyway. I was not aware of the number change rule and changed the TF assigned number on a phone shortly after activating it because the number was getting a lot of unwanted texts that were wasting my text balance. When I contacted TF by chat they said that they couldn't process the unlock because it did not have the number that was initially assigned. I explained why the number changed and they escalated it to the unlock department. After I explained there they went ahead and did the unlock.

If you unlock the December 21 expiring E6 you will be ineligible to unlock the April 22 until 12 months after unlocking the December 21 expiring one if it is on the same account as the December 21 expiring one.

"Customers are eligible for this [unlocking] program only once every twelve months."

It's not complicated at all is it? It could be worse. They could have an unlock program that says you can but not actually do it. That would be very like Tracfone.

TF experts: Can you even port a number to an existing number and account? I know you can do it when you activate a phone and don't get a new TF number assigned.
    Thankyou bobdevnul, you answered my question. I will probably be adding service to the e6 rather than risk not being unable to unlock the bundle phone.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    It seems that the actions that you want to perform only involve 2 phones. I would keep things as simple as possible, and rephrase the question so that only 2 phones are involved, so that it is not needlessly confusing. Or maybe 3 phones are involved here, and I am the one who is failing to see the connection. Wouldn't be the first time that that has happened.
    You're right, I should have left the 3rd Moto out of the equation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I think you have to keep a bundle phone "as-is" (except for adding airtime). Changes will mess up the account.
    Thanks Lisme.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There are recent threads (from Island_Boy?) that said it could be done. In one case the balance was lost but was restored after contacting TF and provided a chat transcript with previous balance info.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There are recent threads (from Island_Boy?) that said it could be done. In one case the balance was lost but was restored after contacting TF and provided a chat transcript with previous balance info.
    hpham I tried to answer your PM and it said you had exceeded the storage limit for messages and it wouldn't send.

My e6 tel# is only showing smartphone cards, not basic.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    hpham I tried to answer your PM and it said you had exceeded the storage limit for messages and it wouldn't send.

My e6 tel# is only showing smartphone cards, not basic.
    Sorry about that. Let me clear old messages and send you a reply.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Yes, that was me. They can in fact port in to an existing line but it’s rare to find someone over chat who knows how. The porting dept can do it though. He actually waited for the port to complete while I was on the phone so he personally restored my balance and service end date which was nice. He noted it before the port in.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Feedback Score
    This is porting one TracFone number to another TracFone? Losing the second number in the process? I was considering doing this but hadn't tried chatting with support yet to see if it's possible.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    This is porting one TracFone number to another TracFone? Losing the second number in the process? I was considering doing this but hadn't tried chatting with support yet to see if it's possible.

Correct. Active TracFone with #A assigned at activation.. replaced by #B coming from another carrier, after activation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    Correct. Active TracFone with #A assigned at activation.. replaced by #B coming from another carrier, after activation.
    You mention #B coming from another carrier, I was asking about #B being on TracFone as well

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    You mention #B coming from another carrier, I was asking about #B being on TracFone as well
    Tell us more about your situation and we'll give you more details.
    1. Are both #A and #B currently ACTIVE on TF?
    2. Which phone make/models are A and B? TF-branded or BYOP? Do you care which phone will end up as the one with phone #B? (because one phone will be deactivated afterward).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast