Thread: Visual Voicemail on A51

Feedback Score

Visual Voicemail on A51

My old phone was Moto G6 and had a nice voicemail app that allowed me to play messages right from the phone app without dialing. Just go to that tab and push play. I now have an A51 and it does not seem to have this. It does have a voicemail app, but it won't allow me to give it SMS permission. It either just doesn't take SMS permission (like, it won't take affect or save); or it fails/quits and doesn't let me proceed. Tried rebooting, and also cleared cache/data.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    Why would a Visible Voicemail app need SMS permission? What do text messages have to do with voicemail?
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Why would a Visible Voicemail app need SMS permission? What do text messages have to do with voicemail?
    Allows you to reply to a voicemail with an SMS. Regardless, the app won't start without the permission, and it won't let me add it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PotRoastMan View Post
    Allows you to reply to a voicemail with an SMS. Regardless, the app won't start without the permission, and it won't let me add it.
    did you try this ?? - https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-230622/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PotRoastMan View Post
    Does the A51 have a stand alone Voicemail app? Can you play the VVM messages OK? Most Moto phones use the stock Android dialer to run VVM, and Google Messenger for text. Samsung is known to use their own dialer and messaging apps.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Does the A51 have a stand alone Voicemail app? Can you play the VVM messages OK? Most Moto phones use the stock Android dialer to run VVM, and Google Messenger for text. Samsung is known to use their own dialer and messaging apps.
    My TF Moto G Stylus 2021 uses the stock dialer for VVM. Just open the dialer and hit voicemail and hit play.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    With my A51, it has a stand alone app for VVM.

I think the OP needs to download Google versions of these app because I do not see a way to reply to a voicemail like the OP is saying on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I think the OP needs to download Google versions of these app because I do not see a way to reply to a voicemail like the OP is saying on it.
    The Play Store lists Google Phone, but it will not install on just any phone. Phones with "pure" Android will come with the Google dialer and messaging apps. Samsung likes to modify Android with their own stuff. They even remove access to the *#*#4636#*#* diagnostic menu. Factory phone dialers usually can't be removed or replaced.

Feedback Score
    This works fine on my wife's A51, she doesn't recall having to do anything, it just worked. It is a seperate voicemail app on Samsung phones. When I start the voicemail app, it is asking for permissions. It won't go any further. And it won't take/accept/save/whatever when I give it the permissions. I say Allow SMS, go back, and it is set back to Deny. It just won't "take it". I've tried to reboot, force stop, clear cache/data, disable/re-enable, etc, etc.. nothing goes.
    Maybe I'll try the Samsung area...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Play Store lists Google Phone, but it will not install on just any phone. Phones with "pure" Android will come with the Google dialer and messaging apps. Samsung likes to modify Android with their own stuff. They even remove access to the *#*#4636#*#* diagnostic menu. Factory phone dialers usually can't be removed or replaced.
    You can install the Google Phone and even Google Messages on at least my A51. I even found out with the Google Phone, you can get that menu too.

I have even used it on my A50. I have not checked my other Samsung phones.

Edit: I just double check the Google Phone app on my A51, and it is trying to activate VVM in the Google Phone app, but it will not activate. There is no reason as of this post.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 09-24-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Edit: I just double check the Google Phone app on my A51, and it is trying to activate VVM in the Google Phone app, but it will not activate. There is no reason as of this post.
    You might have to disable the factory installed dialer to get Google Phone to work. Maybe the stand alone VVM app too. This is tricky stuff I would be reluctant to mess with. I don't like the way Samsung customizes things, just like Apple.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You might have to disable the factory installed dialer to get Google Phone to work. Maybe the stand alone VVM app too. This is tricky stuff I would be reluctant to mess with. I don't like the way Samsung customizes things, just like Apple.
    Yea. I do not see a way to remove the VVM app to see if that could fix that.

The main reason why I still use Samsung is Miracast. Since Google disabled Miracast, I try to stick with devices that still support Miracast.