Thread: Newbie Question

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Newbie Question

I know I should haven't to ask this but I'm doing an activation for the lady who cuts my hair and I wanna make sure I get this right...she uses sharp tools on me.
    I have to use her old phone, with a ton of minutes, to activate her new phone. Old phone has a ton of minutes, so I'll get balances from chat before I proceed. Does the bundle just show up, or do I have to do something to make that happen?
    Now. my question is what becomes of the donor phone? Can it be sold and re-activated? Seems I read that if it is re-activated the new phones balances are wiped out. Need a quick answer, if possible. TIA

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Need more info.
    1. Does the new phone come with bundled airtime/days? If yes, the bundled airtimes/days will automatically be added at activation.
    2. Why do you "have to use her old phone, with a ton of minutes, to activate her new phone"? Do you mean you want to activate the new phone WITH A TRANSFER from the old phone?
    3. If the new phone is activated with a transfer from the old phone, the buckets and days of the old phone are transferred to the new phone (and its own bundle added on top if it comes with a bundle). Nothing will be wiped out if the old phone is reactivated.

Feedback Score
    He was confusing a transfer (to get the new phone working) with a sim swap (to get the new phone working).

You want to get the new phone running with its own new sim.

If you take out the sim from the old phone, the new owner will need a new sim and it could cancel the legacy sim that the phone was paired to.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    That is how this gets confusing, Lisme. I want to activate new phone with minutes etc. from old phone. No sims swaps involved.
    I assume by 'legacy' phone you mean donor. My question , in this situation, with a transfer, the old phone can then be re-used by activating with a new sim and it wont effect balances on the new receiving phone?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Need more info.
    1. Does the new phone come with bundled airtime/days? If yes, the bundled airtimes/days will automatically be added at activation.
    2. Why do you "have to use her old phone, with a ton of minutes, to activate her new phone"? Do you mean you want to activate the new phone WITH A TRANSFER from the old phone?
    3. If the new phone is activated with a transfer from the old phone, the buckets and days of the old phone are transferred to the new phone (and its own bundle added on top if it comes with a bundle). Nothing will be wiped out if the old phone is reactivated.
    1.Yes, wonderful
    2.Yes
    3.Thank both You and Lisme for prompt responses!!

Feedback Score
    When you transfer the old airtime to a new sim, that is an official transfer that doesn't go back.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    My question , in this situation, with a transfer, the old phone can then be re-used by activating with a new sim and it wont effect balances on the new receiving phone?
    The old phone usually can be reactivated using its same original SIM. If a new SIM is needed, TF will tell you. Either way, no effect on the balances of the new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    In this situation, with a transfer, the old phone can then be re-used by activating with a new sim and it wont effect balances on the new receiving phone?
    The old phone may not be able to be re-activated at all. It has to be VoLTE capable, which started around the beginning of 2018 as I remember. That was for Verizon compatible phones, but the other carriers now have the same requirement.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I suspect you are right, lobo,as it was 2 years ago that she bought the older phone and I set it up for her...the women in my life,sigh, gotta keep 'em happy.
    Thanx for all the help, people. New phone is all set up. Let's hope verizon take-over doesn't screw things up!