Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Byop sim question - reusing sim

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2, SE 1, iPhone 6S, Samsung Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Byop sim question - reusing sim

If I transfer a TF branded account to a new phone with a TF Verizon byop sim for activation, and then later transfer that account back to the old TF phone basically I guess deactivating the byop sim, can i then take the byop sim out of that new phone and put it in another new phone to activate that phone with a transfer in?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You can reuse the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, but you'll need to provide the IMEI of the new BYOP phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2, SE 1, iPhone 6S, Samsung Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can reuse the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, but you'll need to provide the IMEI of the new BYOP phone.
    Ok thank you.

Feedback Score
    Unless the TF/VZW sim has expired.

Just today I did a cleanup of sims in my account. In june I bought a TF branded bundle (Moto G6) and activated it with a Transfer from a TF Samsung J7 Sky Pro. The J7 is a phone that lives in my car and is just where I keep my VZW sim for emergency. I was just harvesting the buckets and planned to give the G6 to my brother. So, after activation and combination of all buckets was complete, I just put the new G6 sim back into the J7 (sim swap). My brother uses a TF/AT&T sim so no issue with the G6. But, with all the discussion about sim swapping I decided to clean things up.

I still had the original TF/VERIZON sim from the J7 so I went online to transfer from the G6 sim to J7 sim. Couldn't do it. Said the sim had expired. Called TF and the CSR said the same. She said I needed to purchase a sim to do the transfer. I have a bunch of sim kits so I just used one of those. Transfer went through. So, not only could not reuse VZW sim, but was able to activate a TF branded phone using BYOP sim.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    So, not only could not reuse VZW sim, but was able to activate a TF branded phone using BYOP sim.
    Could you check that line in your TF account and see if it has an icon of a SIM (i.e. it's a BYOP line) or an icon of a phone (i.e. TF paired the BYOP SIM to the phone and made it the "original SIM").

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I read your post more closely and noticed that you said "I just put the new G6 sim back into the J7 (sim swap)". I think when you did that TF system "purged/voided" the original SIM of the J7. That's why it "expired" and couldn't be used. My 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    .....................but was able to activate a TF branded phone using BYOP sim.
    I know there's been discussion to the contrary about using a byop sim in a branded phone but there's also been people on here that get a branded TF that comes with a VZW sim but need ATT in their area. They've been advised, and have, just bought a TF/ATT BYOP sim and activate with that. No problem. It just won't qualify for unlocking unless you jump through a TF CSR hoop. IMHO the only difference between a byop sim and the one that comes in a branded phone is that initial pairing which must be maintained to get a phone unlocked.

I think what @hpham mentioned in post #6 is the likely reason the J7 expired.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Surprised the J7 sim expired though since the J7 isn't that old.
    See my post #6 on why I think the J7 SIM expired.

Feedback Score
    Could you check that line in your TF account and see if it has an icon of a SIM (i.e. it's a BYOP line) or an icon of a phone (i.e. TF paired the BYOP SIM to the phone and made it the "original SIM").
    It is currently showing a phone.

Feedback Score
    I read your post more closely and noticed that you said "I just put the new G6 sim back into the J7 (sim swap)". I think when you did that TF system "purged/voided" the original SIM of the J7. That's why it "expired" and couldn't be used. My 2 cents.
    Could be right. The J7 remained in the account as inactive until I just did the reactivation.

Feedback Score
    But doesn't that imply the TF system must do an auto re-pairing like PPC does which throws another wrench in the don't sim swap discussion ????

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It is currently showing a phone.
    So TF paired the BYOP SIM to the phone's IMEI and made it the "original" SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    But doesn't that imply the TF system must do an auto re-pairing like PPC does which throws another wrench in the don't sim swap discussion ????
    It appears that they do the auto re-pairing, but only when you swap a TF/Verizon SIM into a TF-branded phone.

If the owner isn't aware of the auto re-pairing, it can cause some head-scratching and problems. Like last year when I put an active BYOP TF/Verizon SIM into a new TF-branded LG Journey to do some testing. Later on, when I tried to activate the Journey with its own SIM, I kept getting the message "No such device in our system". So I decided to activate it using its IMEI. When I did that, it used the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM that (unbeknown to me) was auto re-pair. Caused me to lose the many years of service on that SIM.

Similarly, when NanaC put a (BYOP?) TF/Verizon SIM into her unactivated HSN bundle phone to test, it auto re-pair that SIM to the HSN phone and voided the original SIM of the HSN phone, causing her to lose the bundled service on that SIM.

That's the reason for warning people not to SIM swap, unless they know what they're doing and all the potential issues.

Feedback Score
    It appears that they do the auto re-pairing, but only when you swap a TF/Verizon SIM into a TF-branded phone.

If the owner isn't aware of the auto re-pairing, it can cause some head-scratching and problems. Like last year when I put an active BYOP TF/Verizon SIM into a new TF-branded LG Journey to do some testing. Later on, when I tried to activate the Journey with its own SIM, I kept getting the message "No such device in our system". So I decided to activate it using its IMEI. When I did that, it used the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM that (unbeknown to me) was auto re-pair. Caused me to lose the many years of service on that SIM.

Similarly, when NanaC put a (BYOP?) TF/Verizon SIM into her unactivated HSN bundle phone to test, it auto re-pair that SIM to the HSN phone and voided the original SIM of the HSN phone, causing her to lose the bundled service on that SIM.
    I wasn't aware of a re-pairing. I used the swaped J7 for 3+ months without issue and never received any messages or errors. Like I said, the J7 remained in the account as inactive. Beats me...TF works in mysterious ways. Everything seems to be working now...no more swapage.

Feedback Score
    ................... Like last year when I put an active BYOP TF/Verizon SIM into a new TF-branded LG Journey to do some testing. Later on, when I tried to activate the Journey with its own SIM, I kept getting the message "No such device in our system". So I decided to activate it using its IMEI. When I did that, it used the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM that (unbeknown to me) was auto re-pair. Caused me to lose the many years of service on that SIM.
    Interesting. Thanks. Glad I'm on PPC, the maverick of TF companies. BYOP or branded, swap at will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast