Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Comparing Cricket and AT&T BYOD Compatibility lists

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    43
    Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Comparing Cricket and AT&T BYOD Compatibility lists

    The latest AT&T VoLTE BYOD compatibility list includes quite a few more phones than the Cricket list. Will a phone on the AT&T list work with Cricket even tho it's not listed with them? I always thought any AT&T phone would also work with Cricket......maybe I'm wrong.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    978
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    The latest AT&T VoLTE BYOD compatibility list includes quite a few more phones than the Cricket list. Will a phone on the AT&T list work with Cricket even tho it's not listed with them? I always thought any AT&T phone would also work with Cricket......maybe I'm wrong.
    Any phone on AT&T whitelist that is VoLTE capable will work. Cricket screws AT&T compatible BYOD Android devices out of the hotspot feature. I just talked to their support again. They told me that my Samsung Factory Unlocked Galaxy S10e and S21 are not hotspot compatible. Both on AT&T compatibly list for hotspot. Both have had AT&T sim in them and HotSpot worked. Cricket answer to me was you need to buy our phone. Cricket is a total no go!

    Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    43
    Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    OK thanks for the info. It just seemed odd how small the Cricket list is compared to their parent AT&T and their list. Cricket certainly has got a big head about their popularity, maybe abit too big huh?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    676
    Feedback Score
    0
    Cricket also has an IMEI test page: I've found a few phones that are not on the AT&T compatible list that pass the Cricket IMEI test. I can't confirm which is correct, though.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    43
    Device(s)
    LG VX8700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    It seems like a crapshoot with the lists being different. My Pixel 2 XL and 3 XL connected fine so back in their good graces....lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    978
    Feedback Score
    0
    Doesn't really matter. Cricket won't let Whitelisted BYOD Android devices have the hotspot included in the plan. Now they are going to hold 5G hostage trying to force you to buy their junk locked phones. Cricket is a definite no go.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    966
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    Doesn't really matter. Cricket won't let Whitelisted BYOD Android devices have the hotspot included in the plan. Now they are going to hold 5G hostage trying to force you to buy their junk locked phones. Cricket is a definite no go.

    Sent from my SM-T510 using HoFo mobile app
    Looks like people are getting 5g on byod phones so far.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks I have a Pixel4a5g get hotspot with ATT Prepaid. I was thinking of Cricket, but now nope, I have heard here and Reddit Cricket won't allow hotspot. Pixel phones are more than capable, but I'm sticking with their parent. Pixel is better than those phones they sell, which are absolute junk.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,556
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA05 View Post
    Thanks I have a Pixel4a5g get hotspot with ATT Prepaid. I was thinking of Cricket, but now nope, I have heard here and Reddit Cricket won't allow hotspot. Pixel phones are more than capable, but I'm sticking with their parent. Pixel is better than those phones they sell, which are absolute junk.
    cricket does allow hotspot but on certain plans - https://www.cricketwireless.com/hotspot

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    cricket does allow hotspot but on certain plans - https://www.cricketwireless.com/hotspot
    Thanks, I was going for the unlimited plus hotspot plan, but hotspot won't work on my Pixel as Cricket won't allow my Pixel to use the hotspot regardless if I pay for it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,001
    Feedback Score
    0

    ok on TMO but not AT&T or Ckt

    Quote Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
    The latest AT&T VoLTE BYOD compatibility list includes quite a few more phones than the Cricket list. Will a phone on the AT&T list work with Cricket even tho it's not listed with them? I always thought any AT&T phone would also work with Cricket......maybe I'm wrong.
    I found this article helpful in explaining why if I can get 4G LTE today, my phone might still not work as a phone after the 3G shutdown. If I understood correctly, the phone calls on some phones can still use the 3G network.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

    However, what I don't get is that the Moto G6 XT1925 is NOT on either the AT&T list or the Cricket list of go forward devices, but T-Mobile says yes, you're good to go. So I really don't understand why it could work on one network after 3G goes away but not on the other.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    966
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dafone View Post
    I found this article helpful in explaining why if I can get 4G LTE today, my phone might still not work as a phone after the 3G shutdown. If I understood correctly, the phone calls on some phones can still use the 3G network.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/vol...obile-1148654/

    However, what I don't get is that the Moto G6 XT1925 is NOT on either the AT&T list or the Cricket list of go forward devices, but T-Mobile says yes, you're good to go. So I really don't understand why it could work on one network after 3G goes away but not on the other.
    If it's a T-Mobile phone then it wouldn't use the same frequencies as att and thus has limited coverage.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    0
    Most likely, in this case the phone hasn't been certified for ATT's VoLTE.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,001
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    If it's a T-Mobile phone then it wouldn't use the same frequencies as att and thus has limited coverage.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    That's an AT&T phone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,001
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Most likely, in this case the phone hasn't been certified for ATT's VoLTE.
    Are you then saying that not every phone that is VoLTE capable has been certified for ATT or Cricket? and what they have chosen to do is to cheery pick some and drop others?

    I can't believe their certification process could be that resource intensive. I have a BYOD ATT phone that is barely 2.5 years old on Android 9 and is VoLTE (AFAIK) and it's not on the list. While a 6 year old POS cricket phone stuck on Android 6.0 is on the list. Based upon this alone I would find it hard to believe they even did any physical certification whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2018, 06:10 PM
  2. VERIZON BYOP and AT&T BYOP
    By caLLm3LAzY- in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM
  3. Cricket and AT&T VoLTE?
    By freakonomics101 in forum Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM
  4. Comparing VZW and AT&T coverage maps
    By macher50267 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Bookmarks