Thread: Updating sim card

Feedback Score

Updating sim card

I've got to get mom a new 4G compatible phone to work on her AT&T Prepaid account. There's a flip phone at Wal-Mart, that I think would be good enough.

The question I have is regarding the sim card and changing the sim card.

I don't know what size sim card that flip phone at Wal-Mart uses. I suspect it might be a nano sim since that's what most everything is now. Her current sim card - is actually a Cingular sim card (that's how old the account is) and it's a mini sim (? - I think - mini is larger than micro which is larger than nano, right?). I've got a sim cutter, I guess I could try to cut the Cingular sim card, but if I can transfer the account to a new sim card that'd probably be safer.

I'd like to just transfer her account to the sim card that's presumably in the flip phone package. Can this be done online or is it better to call 611 and have this done?

I noticed on the AT&T Prepaid paygonline.com portal, if I click on My Device and Update Device there's an option to update to a new sim card. Will that do what I want to accomplish? Or is that for something else?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    I've got to get mom a new 4G compatible phone to work on her AT&T Prepaid account. There's a flip phone at Wal-Mart, that I think would be good enough.

The question I have is regarding the sim card and changing the sim card.

I don't know what size sim card that flip phone at Wal-Mart uses. I suspect it might be a nano sim since that's what most everything is now. Her current sim card - is actually a Cingular sim card (that's how old the account is) and it's a mini sim (? - I think - mini is larger than micro which is larger than nano, right?). I've got a sim cutter, I guess I could try to cut the Cingular sim card, but if I can transfer the account to a new sim card that'd probably be safer.

I'd like to just transfer her account to the sim card that's presumably in the flip phone package. Can this be done online or is it better to call 611 and have this done?

I noticed on the AT&T Prepaid paygonline.com portal, if I click on My Device and Update Device there's an option to update to a new sim card. Will that do what I want to accomplish? Or is that for something else?
    That's how I did it when I switched from my mom's flip phone to a smartphone. BUT, since earlier this year, if I click on Update Device I get the message:
    Looks like your device can't be updated here
    Please call 800-901-9878 or 611 from your device and speak to a representative

So it looks like you'll have to call them.

Feedback Score
    When I click on Update Device I do get a page that asks me if I want to update the IMEI or Sim Card number for the account. I don't have the new device and sim card yet so I haven't proceeded any further. It may pop up with that when I try once I get the new device and sim card.

I may give the online thing a try first and see what it says.

You'd think it'd be in AT&T best interest to have this working online. Nothing like spouting off a super long IMEI number and a super long sim card number over the phone where you hopefully my mouth says the number I see and the person on the other end hears the number that I say. Seems it'd be easier to be able to do it online where I can type in the number and review the number that I entered before clicking submit. But what I consider a good idea isn't necessarily a good idea for everyone else.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well that's odd. If you have the online option still available that's the route I'd take.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    I've read that ATT is updating their Prepaid backend systems. If true, that may explain this.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    I also had a Cingular SIM a while back that I cut down to micro size and then with my next phone cut it down again to nano. Everything worked all through this process although that was a few years ago and I've gotten a new card since then.

Feedback Score
    Just to tie this up in a pretty bow.

I updated the sim card number and IMEI number through the Pay Go Online AT&T Prepaid portal and it worked without incident.

I did not power on the new phone (Alcatel Go Flip? ... whatever the only non-smart phone AT&T Prepaid sells) until after I had switched the sim card and IMEI number in the portal. I took the new phone apart and pulled out the sim to get the sim card number. Updated it on the portal, put sim card back in new phone, turned on phone and it worked instantly.

Balance and everything carried over.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Just to tie this up in a pretty bow.

I updated the sim card number and IMEI number through the Pay Go Online AT&T Prepaid portal and it worked without incident.

I did not power on the new phone (Alcatel Go Flip? ... whatever the only non-smart phone AT&T Prepaid sells) until after I had switched the sim card and IMEI number in the portal. I took the new phone apart and pulled out the sim to get the sim card number. Updated it on the portal, put sim card back in new phone, turned on phone and it worked instantly.

Balance and everything carried over.
    Good to know that it worked out. Thanks.