Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Will my phone stop working?

Feedback Score

Will my phone stop working?

I have a GSM Samsung Galaxy A01 S111DL sold by Tracfone that I just recently bought new. Now there is a warning on my account that the phone will degrade and stop working but every time I talk to someone at Tracfone they tell me it will keep working. They've assured me over and over it will work but their customer service is clueless lately and I don't know what to believe. I need a working phone at all times. I'm pretty sure it's on the AT&T network. I see a Samsung A01 on their list but it's a different model number. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Galaxy A01 S111DL was released 01.2020 & has 4G LTE. It will work for years & years & years. If the hardware holds up. It's a modern phone, no need to worry.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Galaxy A01 S111DL was released 01.2020 & has 4G LTE. It will work for years & years & years. If the hardware holds up. It's a modern phone, no need to worry.
    The thing is, I don't think it's VoLTE compatible. Some of the other A01's have the VoLTE toggle and this one does not. The warning on my account says I need a VoLTE compatible phone. Tracfone never removed the warning on my account.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That is weird if you got this message with a very new phone.

Do you move the SIM from another phone? Do you happen to know what tower carrier that you are using?

I know it is still being sold with Verizon SIM in most areas, and Verizon is not activating phones unless it has VoLTE.

If you have an AT&T based SIM, you might have SIM swapped it because I hardly see areas with AT&T based SIMs unless you are in a rare area. Plus I do not see this model on the AT&T list: https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171/

I am not sure with T-Mobile based SIMs since they do not have much of info.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for responding. No I did not move any SIM. This was a new phone in an unopened package sold by Tracfone that activated with no problem. It replaced a 6 year old phone I knew would not work much longer. I am positive it is not on Verizon. It is either TMobile or AT&T. I am almost certain it is AT&T.

This is a very frustrating situation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You can find out what carry you are using via the first six digits of the SIM.

890126 is T-Mobile, 890141 is AT&T, and 891480 is Verizon.

There might be a new T-Mobile SIM, but since I do not have T-Mobile in my area, I would not know.

Feedback Score
    It should be good. When you make a call does the icon drop to 3G or stay on 4G?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Install the Network Signal Info app and run it before and during a call. It will tell you which carrier the phone uses, signal strength, whether the call is on VoLTE or not. Post the screenshots if you can.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yea, the OP needs to check if he has VoLTE already or not.

The weird thing is some Tracfone model phones is on the AT&T list, but I do see some missing models. They mainly the newer models.

Either AT&T has not tested these models or they are still being tested.

If you want to know what I mean, the Galaxy A50 S506DL is on the list, but the newer Galaxy A51 S515DL is not the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    The thing is, I don't think it's VoLTE compatible. Some of the other A01's have the VoLTE toggle and this one does not. The warning on my account says I need a VoLTE compatible phone. Tracfone never removed the warning on my account.
    You can download the Android Hidden Settings App. On most, but not all, versions of Android there will be a selection titled RadioInfo. Click on it. Scroll down and you will see a Volte switch which should be on if the phone is capable of Volte. Unfortunately there is the version of Volte which is compatible with T-Mobile and the proprietary version from AT&T. So even if you have a phone capable of Volte it may not work on AT&T after the 3g sunset.

You can make a call and see if the connection type drops down to HSPA which is 3g. You can see this in the hidden settings app or in SIM Status in the regular settings. Do NOT trust the icons on your phone. For marketing reasons,
    they have labeled 3g HSPA as 4G. On my Alcatel Raven, the 4G icon stays lit even when the phone drops down to 3g HSPA. On the hidden settings app, you can also force the connection type to be LTE only. If the phone is not capable of Volte, the call will not go through.

Tracfone is completely clueless as to the different implementations of Volte and the fact that AT&T has a whitelist.
    Following the discussion on Reddit, even if your phone is technically capable of AT&T Volte, AT&T may still kick your phone off the network if it is not on the whitelist. AT&T wants to be PAID to certify the phone and put it on their whitelist. For now this is happening for those with AT&T service directly, but I can't see it not coming to the MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Depending on Verizon`s influence over Tracfone's actions at any point in time, what would possibly motivate Verizon to allow the certification of a Tracfone so that it can be on AT&T`s whitelist? This goes against Verizon`s stated plans for retaining customers with an unlocked Tracfone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Depending on Verizon`s influence over Tracfone's actions at any point in time, what would possibly motivate Verizon to allow the certification of a Tracfone so that it can be on AT&T`s whitelist?
    Along that line of thinking, for a "DL" TF-phone that came with a TF/Verizon SIM, TF can simply say "The fact that the phone has freqs/bands for AT&T service is irrelevant. We sold you that phone to use on TF/Verizon, and that's the only network where we'll guarantee that it'll work". Unpopular statement? Yes. But it's not above Verizon to tell TF to say so.

Feedback Score
    It seems impossible that this phone released 01.2020 doesn't have VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Thank you for responding. No I did not move any SIM. This was a new phone in an unopened package sold by Tracfone that activated with no problem. It replaced a 6 year old phone I knew would not work much longer. I am positive it is not on Verizon. It is either TMobile or AT&T. I am almost certain it is AT&T.

This is a very frustrating situation.
    A new unopened TracFone that has the sim that came with it, and is less than two years old will work on VoLTE.
    There's only a few places in the USA that sell a TracFone with an ATT sim.
    My sister's phone is a Samsung Galaxy A01, and it worked (VoLTE) with a BYOP ATT TracFone sim and currently has a Straight Talk BYOP ATT sim.

Feedback Score
    There may be two issues here. One is does the OP's phone have Volte at all so that Tracfone should remove the warning on the account? The second is whether despite what Tracfone thinks, will AT&T kick the phone off the network by Feb. 22 because the model is not on the whitelist. Quoting from the AT&T doc:

"There are many versions of the same phone, and each version has its own model number
    even when the marketing name is the same.
    ➢EXAMPLE:
    ▪ Galaxy S20 models G981U and G981U1 will work on the AT&T network
    ▪ Galaxy S20 models G981F, G981N and G981O will NOT work"

I have an Alcatel Raven and a ZTE Majesty Pro. Both have Volte capability for the T-Mobile network but not for the AT&T network. They are not on the whitelist and calls drop to 3g HSPA. However, Tracfone CSRs and even second level and third level call backs have told me not to worry, that the phones will work after the AT&T 3g shutdown. I don't see how that is possible and have bought replacement phones that are ready to go (with Verizon SIMs).

It is true that the MVNOs are currently playing by more relaxed rules than those getting service from AT&T directly. IMHO, I think the stricter rules will come back to haunt TF. But to each his own.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast