Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T 3g Sunset - Are we asking the right question?

Feedback Score

AT&T 3g Sunset - Are we asking the right question?

People are under the impression that AT&T is finding and testing all phone models to see if it will work on their network and putting it on their whitelist. From following the discussions on Reddit and the AT&T Community Forum, I believe this is a mistaken impression.

AT&T is waiting for phone manufacturers to PAY them to certify their phones and put it on their whitelist. There are a goodly number of phones that are technically capable of working with AT&T's version of Volte but because the phone manufacturer has not paid AT&T, the models are not on the whitelist. The guess on the forums is if the phone model is over 6 months old, the phone manufacturer will probably not pay.

So the question is not whether my phone has AT&T Volte, but whether my phone manufacturer will pay AT&T.

AT&T knows it will lose some customers, but they will get fees from certification and many AT&T customers will upgrade their phones so there will be increased phone sales. Also by restricting the models on their network, it will help lessen the load on their tech support.

Tracfone is still clueless about the AT&T whitelist and some of the enforcement of AT&T rules that are applied to those who get service directly from AT&T don't apply yet to MVNOs.

For example, over the last month, I have activated and re-activated two phones that are not on the whitelist. For those getting service directly from AT&T, the last time for doing that was last February. Some AT&T subscribers move a SIM from a whitelisted phone to a non-whitelisted phone. The non-whitelisted phone works fine with Volte and HD Voice, until AT&T does an IMEI sweep and suspends service on that line. As far as I know that has not yet happened on Tracfone, but is similar to what @hpham has described for Verizon SIM swaps.

I believe that those stricter rules will eventually come to the MVNOs like Tracfone so I have bought replacement phones that are on the whitelist, an Alcatel TCL A3 (model 509DL) and LG Journey (model L322DL). Since they come with Verizon SIMs, the fact that they are on the AT&T whitelist is now somewhat irrelevant.

You should all do what you think best.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    No different than Verizon certification, since they started allowing non-Verizon branded phones. The manufacturer has to pay for certification.

Feedback Score
    There might be some truth to your theory, but it can't be the whole story. Essential (the company) hasn't existed for over 6 months, but the PH-1 is on the whitelist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    There might be some truth to your theory, but it can't be the whole story. Essential (the company) hasn't existed for over 6 months, but the PH-1 is on the whitelist.
    Sorry for the confusion, but 6 months was just a guess. And the statement implied that manufacturers of phone models NEWER than 6 months will probably pay. For models older than 6 months it may not make economic sense to pay but ultimately it is up to the manufacturers.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    A bit more information about the Essential PH-1 . Essential (the company) was founded by Andy Rubin "The Father of Android". The PH-1 was their first product and was a high-end phone when released in May 2017. Unfortunately, Essential closed their business in Feb 2020. By then, it was already on AT&T's certified list of phones with VoLTE & HD Voice (I have a copy of that list, dated 2/27/2020). So, certification was done before the company went out of business. I also have the PH-1, it's a neat phone.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I also have the PH-1, it's a neat phone.
    HP, I never pegged you for an Essential.

Sounded like a good idea but the price point was just too high. No way they would compete with the big boys or last. Razer tried too and they had/have a strong business beyond phones. They managed 2 phones before giving up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    HP, I never pegged you for an Essential. Sounded like a good idea but the price point was just too high.
    I didn't buy it new. I bought it used in July 2020 on Ebay for $165. It's in very good condition with no scratches, and battery at 90% capacity. I like its small size, hi-res screen, and it's quite fast.

Feedback Score
    I didn't buy it new. I bought it used in July 2020 on Ebay for $165. It's in very good condition with no scratches, and battery at 90% capacity. I like its small size, hi-res screen, and it's quite fast.
    I bought mine (eBay) in January 2020 for $120… just in time for Essential to close and the regular, timely updates to end. Battery was only 80%, but worked fine for my light use. I’d still probably be using it if I hadn’t got my XR for $300 off with rewards points. It’s a great backup phone.

Feedback Score
    Off topic but since used battery capacity is mentioned, what app do you guys use to check what your battery capacity really is ? Thx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    what app do you guys use to check what your battery capacity really is ? Thx
    I used AccuBattery .

Feedback Score
    I used AccuBattery .
    I use the same.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. My bat is getting long in the tooth, just curious how long.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Hey Malet, just curious what Android version was the final update to the Essential?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    just curious what Android version was the final update to the Essential?
    Mine has Android 10, security update 2/5/2020.

with your girlfriend! up in the New Mexico mountains where the cougars run free and are covered with snow! Breathe the FRESH AIR, there!
    Device(s)
    Do, Help me get my little girl off the phone! She talks too much causing her mommy a lot of money!
    Carrier(s)
    BYOP works the best! HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ABLE TO USE TRACFONE ON ALL CARRIERS LIKE HSN claims?
    Feedback Score
    I tested a phone earlier this week and AT&T was working 3G on both calls and data.
    Help me get my little girl off the phone! She talks too much causing her
    mommy a lot of money!

Everyone is welcome here! If you have a love for service
    that carries on
    , then look no further!

Tracfone Lifetime Service Member !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast