Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Is Tmobile going to have a change like ATT?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0

    Is Tmobile going to have a change like ATT?

    I have 2 phones, one a month old, that apparently won't work on ATT next year.
    The Tmobile website says they will work on Tmobile.
    I called Tmobile CS and asked if they were planning a change like ATT; I didn't want to change carriers if they wouldn't work on Tmobile in March.
    She said (if I understood whatever language she was speaking...) that they would have a major change in the future and some phone would likely not work, but she had no information on when that would happen or what phones would be affected.
    Anyone have any information on that?

    As long as I am here... how does the Tmobile network compare with ATT?
    I checked prices and Mint is much cheaper than Tmobile. Is there a downside to Mint?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    23
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    I have 2 phones, one a month old, that apparently won't work on ATT next year.
    The Tmobile website says they will work on Tmobile.
    I called Tmobile CS and asked if they were planning a change like ATT; I didn't want to change carriers if they wouldn't work on Tmobile in March.
    She said (if I understood whatever language she was speaking...) that they would have a major change in the future and some phone would likely not work, but she had no information on when that would happen or what phones would be affected.
    Anyone have any information on that?

    As long as I am here... how does the Tmobile network compare with ATT?
    I checked prices and Mint is much cheaper than Tmobile. Is there a downside to Mint?
    https://reddit.com/r/mintmobile/comm...rioritization/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,757
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    mint is prepaid mono kinda system. if you are trying to save money, go for it.

    as for att and t-mobile, I get that you are concern with 3g and 2g .. they will sunset, but not just yet.. I think they said at the end of 2022... no more 2g nor 3g.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    I have 2 phones, one a month old, that apparently won't work on ATT next year.
    The Tmobile website says they will work on Tmobile.
    I called Tmobile CS and asked if they were planning a change like ATT; I didn't want to change carriers if they wouldn't work on Tmobile in March.
    She said (if I understood whatever language she was speaking...) that they would have a major change in the future and some phone would likely not work, but she had no information on when that would happen or what phones would be affected.
    Anyone have any information on that?

    As long as I am here... how does the Tmobile network compare with ATT?
    I checked prices and Mint is much cheaper than Tmobile. Is there a downside to Mint?
    What are the phones a month old that will not work after ATT closes down 3g?

    Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,105
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    What are the phones a month old that will not work after ATT closes down 3g?

    Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
    The pending network changes are causing a bunch of confusion. The background is that AT&T and T-Mobile are shutting down their older HSPA/HSPDA ("3G") networks, and moving to LTE/5G only. Some older devices sold by these carriers, as well as some Android devices not sold by them, don't have the software to make voice calls over LTE (VoLTE).

    Some of these devices came from other carriers, and others came from overseas (e.g., 'unlocked devices"). The quickest way to test a device is to make a call (with Wi-Fi off) and see if during the call the "LTE or 4GLTE" logo stays lit up. If it drops to "3G or 4G" during the call but then "LTE" shows back up after the call, your device is falling back to the older network technology for calls, and won't work after the older network technology goes away.*

    The two carriers are going about this in different ways:
    1) AT&T is notifying people that their existing devices will stop working, and supposedly won't allow activation of an incompatible device now. If you search the web for "AT&T Whitelist", you'll find AT&T's support documents that list out the devices that will work. If you use AT&T and didn't buy your device from them in last few years, I would check that your device's model number (not just the name) is on their approved device list (if you're using an iPhone, the iPhone 6 and later are good to go - just make sure to turn VoLTE on if the test above fails).

    2) T-Mobile is (for now) not saying as much, other than the network changes will cause some devices to stop working. So, try the calling test above to ensure LTE stays lit up during the call. If it does, you should be okay on T-Mobile after the network changes.

    AT&T seems to be taking the harder line for two reasons: 1) an emergency call may not go through after the network change, and 2) the customer experience won't be very good with these devices (they might not have enough LTE bands). So they are going to kick these devices off the network / force people to get a compatible device.

    T-Mobile is taking a more hands-off approach by not kicking devices off the network, but should be telling people their device may not work. If you're using a MVNO, you might not be told directly -- that's up to the MVNO.


    * Some older, but compatible devices shipped with the VoLTE setting turned off back when LTE wasn't as prevalent. So if you think your device should work, check the settings to see if the VoLTE setting is turned on (for some AT&T devices it may be called "Enhanced LTE" (or something like that). If this is the case, try the test again to ensure LTE remains visible during a call. Note that most carrier-branded devices will only work on that carrier;s network -- so my LG Phoenix 2 from AT&T will work fine post-change on AT&T, but likely won't make voice calls on T-Mobile's network once the changes are implemented.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,890
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    I have 2 phones, one a month old, that apparently won't work on ATT next year.
    The Tmobile website says they will work on Tmobile.
    I called Tmobile CS and asked if they were planning a change like ATT; I didn't want to change carriers if they wouldn't work on Tmobile in March.
    She said (if I understood whatever language she was speaking...) that they would have a major change in the future and some phone would likely not work, but she had no information on when that would happen or what phones would be affected.
    Anyone have any information on that?

    As long as I am here... how does the Tmobile network compare with ATT?
    I checked prices and Mint is much cheaper than Tmobile. Is there a downside to Mint?
    There are two issues going on with AT&T. They are shutting down 3G 2/2022. They are also becoming increasingly restrictive what phones, even new ones, they will allow on their network. Your one month old phones should have VoLTE and not be effected by the 3G shutdown.

    What are your phones? There is a list of AT&T supported phones. If your phones are not on the list it appears they will kick them off the network.

    The T-Mobile network nationwide generally compares well with AT&T in metro areas, even medium sized towns. Between towns and in rural areas T-Mo can be very poor. It depends on where your are. Some areas are better than others. T-Mo is building, but they have a long way to go. What T-Mo may be in five years doesn't help me today.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    561
    Device(s)
    Motorola and a LTE iPad
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT Mint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info , I have a few Motorola G that I bought direct unlocked from Motorola,

    I hope they do not turn into door stops !
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs , Old Porsche projects and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,890
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Thanks for the info , I have a few Motorola G that I bought direct unlocked from Motorola,

    I hope they do not turn into door stops !
    The compatible phone list is here:
    https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

    Being compatible depends on the exact model number. The Moto Gs on the list are:
    • G 5G (XT2113-3)
    • G Play (XT2093-1, XT2093-4, XT2093-7)
    • G Fast (XT2045-3, XT2045-3 )
    • G Power (XT2041-4, XT2117-4, XT2117-1)
    • G Stylus 5G (XT2131-1, XT2131-3, XT2131-4)
    • G Stylus (XT2043-4, XT2115-1)
    • G Pro (XT2043-8)
    • G100 (XT2125-4)
    • G30 (XT2129-1)
    • G9 Play (XT2083-1)
    • G9 Power (XT2091-4)
    • G8 Power (XT2041-1)
    • G7 (XT1962-1)
    • G7 Play (XT1952-4, XT1952-5)
    • G7 Plus (XT1965-T)
    • G7 Power (XT1955-5)
    • G7 Supra (XT1955-5)
    • g6 Forge (XT1922)
    • g6 Play (XT1922-9)
    • G Play 2021 (XT2093DL)
    • G Power 2021 (XT2117-2)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    211
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the info and I have a question about the iPhone 6 on T-Mo/Sprint.

    T-Mo sent out a notice to iPhone 6 owners that the device would not work after Dec. 31st - yet AT&T indicates in their list that the iPhone 6 will work after the 3G shutdown.

    The iPhone 6 supports VoLTE and WiFi calling which T-Mo already acknowledged about six months ago.

    So, what has changed that the iPhone 6 will no longer work? Since my family member is retired on limited income on our legacy Sprint plan, should she just wait it out and see?

    If she has to get a different or new phone, she may just take the opportunity to switch carriers / providers such as to Consumer Cellular which her hubby is already on.

    She has WiFi at home and lightly uses cellular voice/text/data user. Anyway, this may be a switching opportunity for her particularly if this 3G sunset is mostly a non-event for her situation.

    I am trying to advise her, but I cannot get any substantive info from T-Mo. Getting locked into an [x]-month plan with a monthly credit for a locked free phone is not enticing for her.

    Thus, tying back to OP’s initial post, what is different for T-Mo where the iPhone 6 is whitelisted on AT&T after 3G is sunset? TIA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,890
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    ...So, what has changed that the iPhone 6 will no longer work? Since my family member is retired on limited income on our legacy Sprint plan, should she just wait it out and see?...
    T-Mobile has said that they will give a free phone to anyone left with a Sprint phone that will not work on T-Mo before Sprint is shut down. I doubt the free phone will be an iPhone. I also don't know if the free phone will come with an obligation to continue T-Mo service for X months. They have not mentioned that yet.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    The pending network changes are causing a bunch of confusion. The background is that AT&T and T-Mobile are shutting down their older HSPA/HSPDA ("3G") networks, and moving to LTE/5G only. Some older devices sold by these carriers, as well as some Android devices not sold by them, don't have the software to make voice calls over LTE (VoLTE).
    So if my phone doesn't have VoLTE it will not work on ATT after the shutdown. Is it fair to assume it will not work on Tmobile either after their shutdown?

    How about Verizon?

    I was in a Tmobile store today. He put a SIM in my phone and it worked fine. He said he hear the shutdown would be this month, so I figured I would go in again in a month and try again. They are $15 a month more than I am paying now, but will throw in a pair of $200 phones (Samsung A32, or something like that...) with a 2 year commitment, so it would come out about the same if my current phones are worthless.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    So if my phone doesn't have VoLTE it will not work on ATT after the shutdown. Is it fair to assume it will not work on Tmobile either after their shutdown?

    How about Verizon?

    I was in a Tmobile store today. He put a SIM in my phone and it worked fine. He said he hear the shutdown would be this month, so I figured I would go in again in a month and try again. They are $15 a month more than I am paying now, but will throw in a pair of $200 phones (Samsung A32, or something like that...) with a 2 year commitment, so it would come out about the same if my current phones are worthless.
    If your phone doesn't have VoLTE it won't be usable on any network in the US. All of them are shutting down their 2G/3G services.

    What device and model is it? I can easily look this up for you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Some of these devices came from other carriers, and others came from overseas (e.g., 'unlocked devices"). The quickest way to test a device is to make a call (with Wi-Fi off) and see if during the call the "LTE or 4GLTE" logo stays lit up. If it drops to "3G or 4G" during the call but then "LTE" shows back up after the call, your device is falling back to the older network technology for calls, and won't work after the older network technology goes away.*

    * Some older, but compatible devices shipped with the VoLTE setting turned off back when LTE wasn't as prevalent. So if you think your device should work, check the settings to see if the VoLTE setting is turned on (for some AT&T devices it may be called "Enhanced LTE" (or something like that). If this is the case, try the test again to ensure LTE remains visible during a call. Note that most carrier-branded devices will only work on that carrier;s network -- so my LG Phoenix 2 from AT&T will work fine post-change on AT&T, but likely won't make voice calls on T-Mobile's network once the changes are implemented.
    Unfortunately, it's not always "your device" that is falling back. CSFB -- circuit-switched fallback -- means that the carriers can fall back to using non-LTE to deliver LTE services. Your cell phone can support VoLTE, have it properly turned on, but be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get exactly the same effect you describe, due solely to carrier back-end provisioning hijinks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    211
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post


    * Some older, but compatible devices shipped with the VoLTE setting turned off back when LTE wasn't as prevalent. …

    Note that most carrier-branded devices will only work on that carrier;s network -- so my LG Phoenix 2 from AT&T will work fine post-change on AT&T, but likely won't make voice calls on T-Mobile's network once the changes are implemented.
    So my family member has a Sprint iPhone 6 with VoLTE supported and verified on. Come Jan. 2022, I can test if her phone still works at home via WiFi which I assume that it will.

    After the full integration of legacy Sprint customers into T-Mo and all Sprint customers being moved over to T-Mo, is there a high risk that the Sprint iPhone 6 will no longer work? In other words, is a Sprint legacy customer and iPhone 6 equivalent to being on another carrier, like AT&T, in the example quoted above? In other words, the shuttering of Sprint’s network will also shutter Sprint legacy phones even though they support VoLTE?

    Apologies for repetition, but just making sure, … really sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    If your phone doesn't have VoLTE it won't be usable on any network in the US. All of them are shutting down their 2G/3G services.

    What device and model is it? I can easily look this up for you.
    It is a LG G7 FIT, but it is not on ATT's white list, and it failed the test, so it is fair to say it doesn't have VoLTE.

    So, currently they have 3G and VoLTE, and they are dropping 3G. Is that right?
    There is no just plain LTE? Then why does my phone, when it is NOT making a call say it has voice by LTE?

    It really burns! I bought one about 2 months ago. (not blaming you )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is verzion going to have new orange phone like enV?
    By homer2010 in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
  3. Is verizon going to have ptt?
    By Twiggy in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 06:50 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 09:07 PM
  5. is cingular going to have motorola v60g?
    By RagingWind in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2001, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks