Thread: What does it mean to be preapproved by Verizon?

Feedback Score

What does it mean to be preapproved by Verizon?

I have two phones that will no longer work on ATT, so I am looking for options; LG G7 FIT.
    I checked Verizon and they will work. Verizon only has large expensive plans that I don't need, so I checked a Verizon MVNO, Spectrum, and they say they won't work.

A website I looked at says that the phones have all the LTE bands Verizon uses, but must be preapproved by Verizon. Perhaps that is why they are acceptable to Verizon but not Spectrum?
    What does it mean to be preapproved? Any way to get them to work on a MVNO?

And... is Verizon going to soon make a change that will brick my G7s also? (Tmobile says they will, but won't say when)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To be pre-approved, the phone has gone through evaluation and testing to confirm it is compatible with their network. Typically, the phone manufacturers pay for that type of evaluation to earn that designation. The Verizon internet site lists approved phones and if it isn't listed, they won't allow the phone on their network.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    The OP said the phone is approved by Verizon so it's a Spectrum thing, not a Verizon restriction. They must be like Visible. a Verizon MVNO that doesn't allow some of the same phones Verizon does.

Tollerphone, if you're considering an mvno for pricing, instead, have you looked at Verizon prepaid? Much cheaper then post paid and depending on your needs, competitive with mvnos.

Feedback Score
    Spectrum is picky about which phones they take since they have to change the firmware they aren't testing very single older model to make sure it works. And since LG is no longer making phones they really have no incentive to make any exceptions for those.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    To be pre-approved, the phone has gone through evaluation and testing to confirm it is compatible with their network. Typically, the phone manufacturers pay for that type of evaluation to earn that designation. The Verizon internet site lists approved phones and if it isn't listed, they won't allow the phone on their network.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Verizon HAS to allow ANY compatible device on their network because of the agreement they signed when purchasing their Band 13 spectrum. After all, that’s why it’s always been so easy to put gUDP SIM cards into hotspots and data-only SIM cards into phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Verizon HAS to allow ANY compatible device on their network because of the agreement they signed when purchasing their Band 13 spectrum. After all, that’s why it’s always been so easy to put gUDP SIM cards into hotspots and data-only SIM cards into phones.
    Perhaps the phones in question do not support all of the correct cellular frequencies used by Verizon. I can only speculate, but that would be a distinct possibility. I don't know for certain, but only Verizon can confirm. Affected users could appeal to the FCC and I don't discourage that.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps the phones in question do not support all of the correct cellular frequencies used by Verizon. I can only speculate, but that would be a distinct possibility. I don't know for certain, but only Verizon can confirm. Affected users could appeal to the FCC and I don't discourage that.
    Once again this is a Spectrum thing not Verizon. But also plenty of phones are not not whitelisted by Verizon that have band 13. All phones have to be tested and verified that they will in fact work especially with Verizon's VoLTE. If a company doesn't want to go through the testing process Verizon won't whitelist it

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But if you just get a SIM card and stick it in the phone won’t it just work on whatever bands it’s capable of using? I have an unlocked Att net gear nighthawk hotspot and I stuck my Verizon SIM card in that and it just worked immediately. I’m sure that device is not on their list but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Once again this is a Spectrum thing not Verizon. But also plenty of phones are not not whitelisted by Verizon that have band 13. All phones have to be tested and verified that they will in fact work especially with Verizon's VoLTE. If a company doesn't want to go through the testing process Verizon won't whitelist it
    Never forget that Spectrum doesn't own their own network. They ultimately take their marching orders from the carrier that provides cellular service for them. If they choose to be more picky, that is their decision.

Feedback Score
    Never forget that Spectrum doesn't own their own network. They ultimately take their marching orders from the carrier that provides cellular service for them. If they choose to be more picky, that is their decision.
    Spectrum and Xfinity both have a wi-fi first policy so that's why they have their own firmware. And why they allow each other's customers access to the other's wi-fi hotspots. They both also bought CBRS licenses in that auction. The goal is to use as little of Verizon's network as possible. Comcast as has a sizeable amount of band 71 but hasn't deployed any yet. Also they are allowed access to Verizon's network based on the band 4 they sold Verizon years back. So Verizon can't just kick them off the network. THEY can end the deal not Verizon

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Unless things have changed, AFAIK Verizon's whitelist system is more a matter of wanting a device that's in Verizon's system for initial activation; once the SIM's been powered up in a Verizon-approved device, it can be popped out and moved into whatever you want... if it doesn't support VoLTE + at least 1 Verizon band, it's not going to work of course.

Jack Hagar's spot on. Spectrum is not having to make *extensive* modifications to the firmware, probably it's one or two additional apps; but the app to autoconnect to the Xfinity & Spectrum hotspots, and the app to make the wifi calling with cellular handoff work, would almost certainly have to have android system permission, and that's reserved for stuff baked into the firmware.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Unless things have changed, AFAIK Verizon's whitelist system is more a matter of wanting a device that's in Verizon's system for initial activation; once the SIM's been powered up in a Verizon-approved device, it can be popped out and moved into whatever you want... if it doesn't support VoLTE + at least 1 Verizon band, it's not going to work of course.

Jack Hagar's spot on. Spectrum is not having to make *extensive* modifications to the firmware, probably it's one or two additional apps; but the app to autoconnect to the Xfinity & Spectrum hotspots, and the app to make the wifi calling with cellular handoff work, would almost certainly have to have android system permission, and that's reserved for stuff baked into the firmware.
    And of the course the reason why Xfinitiy and Spectrum want to do wifi as much as possible is they pay around $3 or so to Verizon per GB. Which they also are looking into using CBRS. Since these companies typically already have access to poles adding CBRS nodes should be fairly easy. Actually easier than for the carriers

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    The OP said the phone is approved by Verizon so it's a Spectrum thing, not a Verizon restriction. They must be like Visible. a Verizon MVNO that doesn't allow some of the same phones Verizon does.

Tollerphone, if you're considering an mvno for pricing, instead, have you looked at Verizon prepaid? Much cheaper then post paid and depending on your needs, competitive with mvnos.
    Spectrum Mobile has access to domestic roaming where Verizon Prepaid does not.

Feedback Score
    Spectrum Mobile now has multi-line discounts. No only $30 a line for 2 or more line for their regular unlimited plans $40 for their unlimited Plus plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    Spectrum Mobile has access to domestic roaming where Verizon Prepaid does not.
    according to this - https://www.phonetravelwiz.com/roami...-need-to-know/
    verizon prepaid does have domestic roaming.