Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to start 10-day roaming pass before I get to Europe?

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Any reason to start 10-day roaming pass before I get to Europe?

Is there any advantage to starting the 10-day roaming pass before I arrive in Europe? I should be able to start it from the T-Mobile app on my phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't think so. T-Mobile is so widely available in Europe I would think you couldn start the pass from your app once you land.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    I haven't looked recently as I haven't been out of the country in two years but in the past I would schedule a data pass to start on my day of arrival so that was it was ready and waiting for me and I didn't have any issues with slow data making the app a PITA to use trying to activate it.

Feedback Score
    If you set it to begin the day you arrive, it will be active as soon as you arrive. As in, working as you taxi to the gate when you land. If you will be there less than 10 days you don't really lose any value. If you are landing at 11PM, and staying 10 full days, I wouldn't waste one day for an hour of service, but that's the only reason I can think of to hold off until you are in country.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I was curious if there were any perks, like unlimited GoGo WiFi on the flights or something, associated with the roaming pass, that I wasn't aware of. I think I'll just wait until we land to activate the pass.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would call ahead to future date the roaming feature so when you land and connect to the network, it should work immediately. I believe that T-mobile offers free internet on selected airlines with their selected, current Magenta plans. Look on their website for details. I find it helpful to do an online chat prior to departure to ensure proper provisioning.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    My plan, the original $60 55+ one, gives me a free hour of GoGo WiFi, per flight. I have no intention of "upgrading" my plan to $90/mo for occasional benefits while traveling.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was in Greece for 2 months (July & August) and the service was horrible! We go to Greece every year and the service is usually pretty good, but not this year. We decided that we will unlock our phones next year and use a local sim. Tmobile claims they have roaming but honestly although it shows you have full service, calls to not come through. What did work was facebook messenger calls, texts and what's app. Making and receiving calls was the problem. I will no longer rely on Tmobile oversees ever again. And by the way, our friends had Verizon and their service was worse than ours.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I will no longer rely on Tmobile oversees ever again. And by the way, our friends had Verizon and their service was worse than ours.
    Technically, you were not relying on T-mobile for service overseas, you were relying on a local provider that T-mobile had a roaming agreement with. Service cannot be guaranteed at anytime, anywhere. When roaming internationally, your service will not receive the same priority as a local, native user.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 10-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was in Greece for 2 months (July & August) and the service was horrible! We go to Greece every year and the service is usually pretty good, but not this year. We decided that we will unlock our phones next year and use a local sim. Tmobile claims they have roaming but honestly although it shows you have full service, calls to not come through. What did work was facebook messenger calls, texts and what's app. Making and receiving calls was the problem. I will no longer rely on Tmobile oversees ever again. And by the way, our friends had Verizon and their service was worse than ours.
    Are you referring to the included low-speed data or did you purchase high-speed data?

I was with some other travelers in 2019 in Europe and Asia, and the included low-speed data was almost useless to T-Mobile users. I let them hotspot into my Verizon international roaming service, which was costly. In Europe I bought a prepaid SIM before I left.

TheT-Mobile roaming pass is no bargain. If your phone supports an eSIM, there are a bunch of better deals for data, i.e. airalo.com, 5GB for 30 days for $20 for Europe.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree - the T-Mobile 128kbps-256kbps 'free' plans are good for ... text, 'maybe' emails and if you've got enough patience... Google Maps.
    If you did stick with T-Mobile basic service (or used it to get your roaming pass active), disable just about everything , or your phone will be background syncing with email, cloud services, etc. and 'nothing' will work.
    It was semi useful a few years back when I was in Italy/Malta/Greece. primary use was 'Google Maps', 'Trip Case' and the occasional train schedules
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What's ironic is that I know several T-Mobile subscribers that stick with T-Mobile, despite poor coverage in the U.S., because they want the free international data roaming, then they can't actually use it because it's so slow. They'd be better off using AT&T or Verizon and then using prepaid foreign data SIM. They can set up a Google Voice phone number and forward the T-Mobile number to the Google Voice number. But no SMS.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .... We decided that we will unlock our phones next year and use a local sim. ....
    I looked into this and a local Greek data SIM seems a bit spendy for our needs. Cosmote had a special deal for unlimited data for 10€/mo but it seems it was only for September. I was thinking about setting up a spare phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot but decided against it. We're on a tight schedule and Greek shops keep strange hours.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    ....The T-Mobile roaming pass is no bargain. If your phone supports an eSIM, there are a bunch of better deals for data, i.e. airalo.com, 5GB for 30 days for $20 for Europe.....
    Yeah, I considered a local SIM but data SIMs in Greece aren't a bargain either.

My cousin goes to Greece almost every year to visit inlaws. She has T-Mobile and finds the service usable. "We also have T-Mobile and although the data is awfully slow we tend to rely on Wi-Fi which most restaurants and hotels have. I also use Wi-Fi calling from restaurants and hotels. We are usually able to call home and each other using WhatsApp with the slow data without any issues. We have never purchased the Sim card or felt we really needed to."

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I agree - the T-Mobile 128kbps-256kbps 'free' plans are good for ... text, 'maybe' emails and if you've got enough patience... Google Maps.
    We used to basic data in Ireland in 2018 and it was good enough. The trick is to not rely on constant high-speed data (e.g. The Cloud). Download offline maps. Forget watching YouTube without WiFi.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The trick is to not rely on constant high-speed data (e.g. The Cloud). Download offline maps. Forget watching YouTube without WiFi.
    That is the best advice, plain and simple.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We use apps like Moovit for transit and it doesn't work well with slow data. I brought an extra T-Mobile phone to China and Italy in 2019 (the T- Mobile rep gave our IT director some SIM cards to test and he gave me one); It was pretty useless because of the speed (T-Mobile coverage in my area is poor so we did not switch our 100+ lines from Verizon).

Pre-Brexit there was a very good deal on Vodafone UK prepaid SIM cards. In 2019 I got two, activated them in the U.S., and used them in Italy. But post-Brexit, UK carriers are now wrecking their offerings for the EU.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast