Thread: TF sim works with straighttalk?

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score

TF sim works with straighttalk?

2 years ago a friend wanted just phones for her kids to use at home on wifi. now they want to buy a cheap prepaid plan. the phone was bought at WM and listed as Straight Talk Prepaid Apple iPhone 6s Plus 32GB, Space Gray
    $149.00 so i assumed locked to ST.

however for the fun of it, i put my TF sim in the phone and i was able to dial out. was it a fluke or can you really put TF minutes on the ST phone? when i took out the kids sim it did start with TF i think.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
    however for the fun of it, i put my TF sim in the phone and i was able to dial out. was it a fluke or can you really put TF minutes on the ST phone?
    Nowadays, a phone branded by a subsidiary of the Tracfone conglomerate can be used with another subsidiary, even when not yet unlocked.

Feedback Score
    2 years ago a friend wanted just phones for her kids to use at home on wifi. now they want to buy a cheap prepaid plan. the phone was bought at WM and listed as Straight Talk Prepaid Apple iPhone 6s Plus 32GB, Space Gray
    $149.00 so i assumed locked to ST.

however for the fun of it, i put my TF sim in the phone and i was able to dial out. was it a fluke or can you really put TF minutes on the ST phone? when i took out the kids sim it did start with TF i think.
    The SIM that came with my ST phone was labeled Tracfone. After cancelling ST service I activated it again on Page Plus. Sim reuse only works with Verizon SIMs.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You're not putting TF minutes on the ST phone. You're using the ST phone on your TF account by moving the TF account (represented and made functional by the TF SIM) to it.

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score
    ok now my friend is reminding me that i went to the store and got a TF sim and added a 20 dollar card to it and we put it in the kids phone and it did not work. she was lucky enough to beg to get her money back.

so is the short answer that i cannot buy a TF sim and have it work in the kids ST phone? ST is too expensive for them

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ok now my friend is reminding me that i went to the store and got a TF sim and added a 20 dollar card to it and we put it in the kids phone and it did not work.

so is the short answer that i cannot buy a TF sim and have it work in the kids ST phone?
    That doesn't jive with what you posted in your post #1 "however for the fun of it, i put my TF sim in the phone and i was able to dial out".

EDITED: it's POSSIBLE that back then (2 yrs ago?) the "SLIM Lock" (a play on Carlos Slim's name) thing was still in effect. It used to be that a phone of one TF subsidiary (like ST or Net10) could not be used on another subsidiary (like Tracfone). But now TF has lifted that restriction and allow "re-branding".

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score
    i agree it doesnt make sense but i forgot that this past summer before we went to the shore i got a new TF sim and she bought minutes and it didnt work in the phone. she got her money back from TF from the ordeal.

i doubt she would be as lucky this time so i hesitate to have her buy a new sim and slap 20 on it because if it doesnt work i'm out of luck arent i? or could i transfer that to my phone? if we called TF directly and gave the serial number would they be able to tell me if it works. i already tried the unlock website and it says cannot be unlocked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    if we called TF directly and gave the serial number would they be able to tell me if it works. i already tried the unlock website and it says cannot be unlocked.
    Contact TF and ask if you can activate that phone on TF. The way it is now, there's a good chance that they will say "Yes", and can even use the original ST SIM that came with the phone. It doesn't need to be unlocked. Let us know what they say.

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score
    if i put the serial in verizon and it says
    Awesome, your IPHN 6S PLUS NON VZW is a perfect match for our network.

does that mean it's unlocked?

Feedback Score
    if i put the serial in verizon and it says
    Awesome, your IPHN 6S PLUS NON VZW is a perfect match for our network.

does that mean it's unlocked?
    No. Verizon has no way of knowing the SIM lock status of MVNOs. Putting a non-Tracfone SIM in it will indicate the lock status. TF may be able to tell you if you contact them. If you didn't perform an unlock with the TF brand after the required time and payments it very likely locked to TF service brands.