Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I have the very old gUDP, can I get an iPhone 13?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0

    I have the very old gUDP, can I get an iPhone 13?

    Been hanging onto my gudp since 2008. I have not upgraded my phone since the iPhone X. Back then I went to a Verizon store and bought it (0 interest payment plan) and nothing happened to my gudp. Can I just do that again? I’ve been nervous ever since especially with 5G phones. My understanding is my plan can’t get 5G.

    Also if it matters I pay $30 for the hotspot that I CAN NOT lose.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,392
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I doubt upgrading the phone would cause you to lose a plan or feature. You might want to talk to either a store rep or verify online via chat to confirm.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I doubt upgrading the phone would cause you to lose a plan or feature. You might want to talk to either a store rep or verify online via chat to confirm.
    Why wouldn’t it? I say don’t do it. Want to ‘upgrade’ and keep your plan pay full price.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    671
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ahh. Your fine. I also have a very old gudp. I use it in my iPhone 13 as well as a mifi hotspot and it works great. Also you will get 5g on your plan. I do. The only worry is if you wanna take advantage of some special they have that’s where you might run into trouble keeping your plan. I say just pay full price for the phone and just put your SIM card in and that’s it. I get my phones straight from apple that way the carrier is really not even involved.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Ahh. Your fine. I also have a very old gudp. I use it in my iPhone 13 as well as a mifi hotspot and it works great. Also you will get 5g on your plan. I do. The only worry is if you wanna take advantage of some special they have that’s where you might run into trouble keeping your plan. I say just pay full price for the phone and just put your SIM card in and that’s it. I get my phones straight from apple that way the carrier is really not even involved.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    We used to have 6 gudp but now we have 3. So glad that we still have some.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,392
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    Why wouldn’t it? I say don’t do it. Want to ‘upgrade’ and keep your plan pay full price.
    My reply was based on my experience as a former cellular customer service rep for almost 14 years and my personal experience as a cell phone customer since 2001. More than a wild guess on my part.

    As I stated in my reply to the OP, I doubt it would have any effect but to confirm it with Verizon. I didn't say it definitely would not.

    Your suggestion to purchase the phone at full price is a good one.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Ahh. Your fine. I also have a very old gudp. I use it in my iPhone 13 as well as a mifi hotspot and it works great. Also you will get 5g on your plan. I do. The only worry is if you wanna take advantage of some special they have that’s where you might run into trouble keeping your plan. I say just pay full price for the phone and just put your SIM card in and that’s it. I get my phones straight from apple that way the carrier is really not even involved.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    It’s really that simple that I just need to pop out the sim from my iPhone X and buy an unlocked iPhone 13 from Apple?

    I take it you also pay for the $30 hotspot? No issue?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,282
    Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you live in one of the top 46 PEAs (list, map) except for Baltimore/DC, Denver, Atlanta, or Honolulu, I would actually recommend switching to one of the new premium unlimited data plans because they cost less than the gUDP, come with unlimited texts as well as other perks depending on plan, and most importantly have truly unlimited data and hotspot usage on 5G UW, which C-Band will be classified as when it rolls out to those 46 PEAs starting on December 5th. Also, the gUDP isn’t eligible for the modern Verizon promos.

    Sticking with your gUDP prevents you from accessing C-Band or mmWave, it probably costs more, and it prevents you from taking advantage of the subsidies Verizon is offering for flagship phones. What I would do in your place is trade in your iPhone X and switch to Play/Do/Get More Unlimited, because Verizon will give you $800 for an iPhone X trade-in and you won’t get that much money selling it yourself.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    If you live in one of the top 46 PEAs (list, map) except for Baltimore/DC, Denver, Atlanta, or Honolulu, I would actually recommend switching to one of the new premium unlimited data plans because they cost less than the gUDP, come with unlimited texts as well as other perks depending on plan, and most importantly have truly unlimited data and hotspot usage on 5G UW, which C-Band will be classified as when it rolls out to those 46 PEAs starting on December 5th. Also, the gUDP isn’t eligible for the modern Verizon promos.

    Sticking with your gUDP prevents you from accessing C-Band or mmWave, it probably costs more, and it prevents you from taking advantage of the subsidies Verizon is offering for flagship phones. What I would do in your place is trade in your iPhone X and switch to Play/Do/Get More Unlimited, because Verizon will give you $800 for an iPhone X trade-in and you won’t get that much money selling it yourself.
    Don’t


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 440
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM
  3. Can you get an iphone without data plans??
    By bruno6491 in forum Apple
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 12:53 AM

Bookmarks