Thread: Using eSim plan on a physical sim?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Samsung Tab S4, Blackberry KEY 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Using eSim plan on a physical sim?

There are some good cheap plans out there but they are eSim only (airalo, truephone etc) is there any way i can use these plans with a physical sim only device? I don't really feel like getting a 3rd phone with eSim just to run these sims because I'm already needing to have 2 phones in the car... my final device is physical sim only and where I'd love to use these plans because they are as low as $90/year for 1GB DATA... i thought about two plans on my second device but I can't use data from both plans at the same time... Any suggestions on what to do or am I just out of luck?

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    My thinking would be no, if they aren't sending out SIM's anymore what would you be activating?
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    I actually came across this product today

No idea whether it works

http://esim.me/

$30, need modern Android phone (Android 9 and above) in order to write to sim (activate/,change esim profile). The sim then can be used in any device with whatever esim profile was previously selected (older Android, iPhone)

You want to be guinea pig? Google play store shows their app first intoruced sep 31 2021

Dent esim has 1GB for about 10USD, valid for 365 days (their pricing fluctuates and they use their own Bitcoin currency). But they don't provide qr code(need their app to activate), so dent won't work with this product
    Last edited by paperwastage; 10-08-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Following! I’d like to know a little more.

Device(s)
    Motorola and a LTE iPad
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT Mint
    Feedback Score
    i hope there are some Esim phones around the $100-$150 mark ,

but I do not see the service providers having a reason to sell them to us !
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs , Old Porsche projects and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    Following! I’d like to know a little more.
    Decided to be a guinea pig, ordered one. Will report status when it arrives in a few days

Cheapest esim-compatible phone is probably:

Getting a refurb/new Google pixel 3, there have been sales around $150, as long as it's not the Verizon version
    Rakuten Mini is ~$188 new, but only sold in japan i think. there's a used one on ebay for $150 right now (pixel has more bands)
    Palm palm phone is supposedly eSIM (conflicting, think the unlocked version is physical and verizon is esim), ebay has a few new at $90

Feedback Score
    Just just a bit of information about esim usage:

I have an iPhone SE 2020 which has esim capability. Have never used that capability before, but I am currently on a trip to Cozumel and I decided to load in an Airalo esim. I paid $9 US for 1 GB and 7 days validity. I was originally going to get the Mexico-specific esim, but then realized that the global esim had the same amount of data for the same amount of time at the same price, and could be used when I get back into the US until it expires. So I got that.

Very likely better deals out there, but this one worked for me and was painless to set up. Strong LTE signal here in Cozumel which works well for all data use as well as Google voice calls back home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Just just a bit of information about esim usage:

I have an iPhone SE 2020 which has esim capability. Have never used that capability before, but I am currently on a trip to Cozumel and I decided to load in an Airalo esim. I paid $9 US for 1 GB and 7 days validity. I was originally going to get the Mexico-specific esim, but then realized that the global esim had the same amount of data for the same amount of time at the same price, and could be used when I get back into the US until it expires. So I got that.

Very likely better deals out there, but this one worked for me and was painless to set up. Strong LTE signal here in Cozumel which works well for all data use as well as Google voice calls back home.
    i usually look at
    https://esimdb.com/ or https://esims.io/
    (sometimes the data is inaccurate, but at least you have some idea)

you should be able to set up dual sim dual VoLTE, so your existing provider routes VoLTE call over Airalo's data (like wifi calling). set your existing provider to some unauthorized network, so if call drops you won't get charged for native calls

DentWireless has 1GB 365day global for ~$10, but they use some weird coin currency (so the price fluctuates, and you cant buy exactly $10 coins)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
    i usually look at
    https://esimdb.com/ or https://esims.io/
    (sometimes the data is inaccurate, but at least you have some idea)
    Thanks for that tip. I believe I did some variation of that search and came up with quite a few providers. What I ended up getting was pretty much as good as I could then find for my destination without jumping through too many hoops. For example, I looked at Dent but the things you describe made me decide not to go there this time around. Also looked at Nomad, RedTea, and several others.

you should be able to set up dual sim dual VoLTE, so your existing provider routes VoLTE call over Airalo's data (like wifi calling). set your existing provider to some unauthorized network, so if call drops you won't get charged for native calls)
    I might try that when I get back into the states at the end of the validity of the data. But that won't help down here in Mexico because my existing provider, Tracfone, doesn't work here at all. :-). So right now I'm just using LTE data for everything, including VoIP calls like Google voice, and it works swimmingly.

Feedback Score

Getting a refurb/new Google pixel 3, there have been sales around $150, as long as it's not the Verizon version
    Just want to note

Pixel 3 is dual sim single active only (it has one physical sim and one esim. However, you can only choose one to be enabled, the other will be deactivated entirely )

You need pixel 3a and up for dual sim dual standby (both can be enabled, data enabled on one. When idle, no active voice call, either can receive calls. Once one call is connected , the other cannot receive calls and i believe data can only flow on the call-connected sim)
    Last edited by paperwastage; 10-10-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

I've used Airalo esims in Iceland, Costa Rica, Germany, Greece and the US. They work well and the prices are good. Another esim alternative is Truphone. They also have good prices.

I read somewhere iPhones that support esim can have up to 20 esims installed (only one active). Not sure on the Android side of the house.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    I read somewhere iPhones that support esim can have up to 20 esims installed (only one active). Not sure on the Android side of the house.
    On the iPhones XS/XR through 12 series, you could have 5 profiles installed with one active, but on the 13 series, they allow two to be active (in place of the physical SIM). I wouldn't be surprised if they upped that limit to 20 profiles like you said, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    On the iPhones XS/XR through 12 series, you could have 5 profiles installed with one active, but on the 13 series, they allow two to be active (in place of the physical SIM). I wouldn't be surprised if they upped that limit to 20 profiles like you said, too.
    I have set up and run dual esims on an iPhone 13 Pro Max on T-Mobile successfully. T-Mobile doesn't know how to set up two of their lines on esim, so you need to employ a workaround, but it's easy enough to do, so not a problem. With the 13 series iPhones, using other carriers esims there is nothing special about which can be active simultaneously. You just switch them on or off in Settings-Cellular. They all work alongside a physical sim card also with no issues.