Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attention if you sell your extra phones on eBay

Feedback Score

Attention if you sell your extra phones on eBay

As you may or may not know, eBay has disconnected from PayPal for receipt of your seller proceeds. Their contract ended and eBay went with someone else. This new outfit will accept only a checking account in order to pay you. Well, there is no way I am giving my checking account and SS number to eBay, even if they actually do not store it. The new payment processor stores it. eBay can still get their tentacles into it and debit your money away if they find a reason.

I seldom do any selling, but I decided to clean up a little. I found that Discover Bank (cousin to the Discover Card) is not only highly rated, but you can open an account with minimal fuss, no initial deposit, no minimum balance, actually have nothing in there until eBay sends you something. Then you immediately do a transfer to your regular bank. Nothing left for Ebay to mess with. You might have to do some activity once in a while to keep the account open, like with a Tracfone sim. You also get a debit card, but I didn't activate it. Checkbooks are not sent unless requested.

I had occasion to call Discover about opting out of marketing, and the CSR was like a dream compared to the usual CS.

I asked about this on the eBay message boards. I am late to the game, because I was told that this Discover thing was well known and an excellent way to keep eBay's tentacles out of your real checking account. I didn't even know about the PayPal thing since I seldom sell anything.

So I have no ulterior motive here except to share my experience reinventing the wheel that the other sellers already knew about.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I don't like Ebay's new Managed Payment scheme either. I use one of my "disposable" online-only checking accounts that has no required minimum balance to receive payments from Ebay, then transfer out to my main bank.

Feedback Score
    TYVM Lisme. I don't want ebay claws all over my $.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    can't someone just open a Capital One 360 checking account? It's free and they don't even close your account with a $2 balance, even after 15 months.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    can't someone just open a Capital One 360 checking account? It's free and they don't even close your account with a $2 balance, even after 15 months.
    That's what I'm using. I opened the account last year when they gave $100 if you open an account and spend $300 with the Debit Card within 90 days. Easy money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    As you may or may not know, eBay has disconnected from PayPal for receipt of your seller proceeds. Their contract ended and eBay went with someone else. This new outfit will accept only a checking account in order to pay you. Well, there is no way I am giving my checking account and SS number to eBay, even if they actually do not store it.
    For the very reason I stopped selling on eBay when they made the change and sell my stuff on craigslist. It is a win-win situation for me and the buyers. Without shipping cost and eBay fee I sell my stuff at a lower price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaCL View Post
    Hmmm... Maybe I'll switch to that one. I already have the CC so it will be all together.

I won't be needing either bank for a long time probably anyway after this week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick880 View Post
    For the very reason I stopped selling on eBay when they made the change and sell my stuff on craigslist. It is a win-win situation for me and the buyers. Without shipping cost and eBay fee I sell my stuff at a lower price.
    Around me nasty sellers on CL run automated scripts that flag their competition & get them deleted. So eBay it is for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Around me nasty sellers on CL run automated scripts that flag their competition & get them deleted. So eBay it is for me.
    I’ve used Swappa. Worth it to me to maybe get a few dollars less, and to have to ship (and pay for shipping). You get paid in advance by PayPal, and no direct contact with the buyer.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I know you all are trying to receive a payment but I was recently tipped off to a great payment site.

Www.Privacy.com

Where you can create up to 12 virtual credit cards with the free account

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    I know you all are trying to receive a payment but I was recently tipped off to a great payment site.

Www.Privacy.com

Where you can create up to 12 virtual credit cards with the free account
    Note that you still have to furnish a bank account that the "credit cards" will siphon money from. You are really creating virtual debit cards. Same as the bank ones except for having guardrails.

Device(s)
    LG Premier Pro Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm familiar with the new Ebay payout plan for the last several months. I had Zelle and Paypal fraud to the tune of $1,300 last year, so I switched to Capital One's free checking for both Zelle and Ebay.
    TZ

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    But they still require your social security number-- which no way I'm going to give them.

What's next-- my driver's license number, mother's maiden name and first pet's name. Helloooo identity theft!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    But they still require your social security number-- which no way I'm going to give them.

What's next-- my driver's license number, mother's maiden name and first pet's name. Helloooo identity theft!
    At some point, you will not be able to open any accounts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    According to what this government site says , you'll have to provide a SSN or ITIN, or other forms of government-issued documents to open a checking or saving account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast