Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 55+ Email Offer is less than meets the eye

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

55+ Email Offer is less than meets the eye

I received an offer in my email box that offered for 55+ a $10 discount with autopay off "Any Unlimited plan". They gave as an example, Start Unlimited, which would now cost those over 55, $60 a month plus taxes and fees for a single user. So, by inference, I assumed that the Do More Unlimited Plan which normally lists for $80 for a single user, would be $70 with this offer. Since I am paying $65 plus taxes and fees for the 10GB shared data plan, it seemed like a no brainer.

BUT it is not real. Though Start Unlimited may be $60 for those over 55, the other Unlimited plans are as listed with no discount, though they tried to tell me that the discount was being applied. Nope. My cost I was told would be $80 plus taxes and fees for a single user with the discount applied.

Note, I did my research and have not seen an ad anywhere that listed the price of the Do More Unlimited Plan as $90 without autopay. All the pricing sheets list it as $80 plus taxes and fees. So, be aware that the email is trying to fool those over 55 into believing they are getting a deal when in fact that aren't. They are offering no discount no matter what the email ad claims.

Trying to scam seniors is not an ethical move, Verizon.

correction: I was just sent an ad that did list the other plans as $80 with autopay...but then it still just standard pricing and not any kind of special discount for seniors. Verizon is still trying to mislead seniors into thinking they are getting a special deal. They aren't.

Here is a link to the email ad: https://i.imgur.com/hVLAkKS.jpeg
    Last edited by jdc; 10-13-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Did you actually call the number listed and have them tell you you don't get $10 off other plans? Because this offer is not going to be available via the website

By the way my 74 year old mother is the account owner on our plan and we have had Verizon for 15 years and we never get these offers.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Yes, I did call the number a couple of times and finally got the info by way of chat. I also did try to search the Verizon website and see if it was available in my app, but it wasn’t.

By the way, I am the same basic age as your mother.

Though Start Unlimited is discounted, deprioritized data, which is the data offering in the plan, doesn’t work well for me, hence my interest in the other plans.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Yes, I did call the number a couple of times and finally got the info by way of chat. I also did try to search the Verizon website and see if it was available in my app, but it wasn’t.

By the way, I am the same basic age as your mother.

Though Start Unlimited is discounted, deprioritized data, which is the data offering in the plan, doesn’t work well for me, hence my interest in the other plans.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    They need to change that ad then since is clearly says ANY unlimited plan. Though it doesn't surprise me it's on on Start since their previous unlimited senior plan was based on Go Unlimited and is on the website but is only available to residents of Florida. We've been on Go then Start Unlimited for 5 years so deprioritized data is not an issue for us. Will probably move on to Spectrum Mobile in couple of months since they now offer multi-line discounts

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Have you received a statement since making the change or are you relying on the web site estimate?

I received a similar email, but mine said $20 since I have 4 lines on my account. The plan prices are as usual, but My statement has a “55+ Loyalty Discount” of $20 at the account level. The web site estimate didn’t reflect this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    THE PRICE FOR THE 55+ PLAN IS $90 for TWO lines without autopay. With autopay the 55+ plan is $80 for TWO lines. plus tax. I have it. No problem with data either.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

More than I was quoted. Glad it has worked for you.
    Last edited by jdc; 10-22-2021 at 08:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    More than I was quoted. Glad it has worked for you.
    Normal pricing for this plan for those not 55 for two lines is $120. Just saying

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Normal pricing for this plan for those not 55 for two lines is $120. Just saying
    What I brought up was the difference between what they advertised and what the actual price turned out to be; the ad was misleading at best.

I was not interested in the Start Unlimited Plan, but in one of the other plans which their promo appeared to offer at a discount. A plan that offers no premium data is not of interest to me.
    Last edited by jdc; 10-23-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    What I brought up was the difference between what they advertised and what the actual price turned out to be; the ad was misleading at best.

I was not interested in the Start Unlimited Plan, but in one of the other plans which their promo appeared to offer at a discount. A plan that offers no premium data is not of interest to me.
    I’m sure this isn’t the first or last time you’ve been mislead by a cell company

Feedback Score
    the ad was misleading at best.
    I'm pretty sure I agreed with you on that post. let me check...... yeah i did

I was not interested in the Start Unlimited Plan
    Well hopefully a plan with premium data is worth $960 a year extra

Any area where Start is bad means by default it's congested which means even with premium data you are going to get less than stellar service

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

There are many 55+ that single/widowed which makes the two line requirement not feasible / affordable particularly for those on fixed income. Does Verizon offer a better, more accommodating, and financially feasible plan (e.g., a relative who is widowed, 74 yrs of age, disabled war vet, Purple Heart)?

I just don’t see Verizon and really any other post-paid carrier making an effort with this market segment. Even their prepaids and MVNOs seem to advertise two line minimum

If he had his druthers, he would be on Verizon as it has always been the most reliable for him in his (former) trucking business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    There are many 55+ that single/widowed which makes the two line requirement not feasible / affordable particularly for those on fixed income. Does Verizon offer a better, more accommodating, and financially feasible plan (e.g., a relative who is widowed, 74 yrs of age, disabled war vet, Purple Heart)?
    2 lines are NOT required for the 55+ plan it is the maximum though. Verizon pricing on standard plans are based on 4 lines that doesn't mean 4 lines are required.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    2 lines are NOT required for the 55+ plan it is the maximum though. Verizon pricing on standard plans are based on 4 lines that doesn't mean 4 lines are required.
    Thanks as I worded it poorly.

The enticing promotion becomes disappointing after reading the qualifier. My point was there should marketing promotions that target single seniors to minimize confusion,

Here is Verizon's landing page for 55+:
    "Save up to
    $40/mo
    when you
    switch.
    A special offer for those
    55 and older.

Get unlimited on the network
    more people rely on.

$80/mo for 2 lines

Plus taxes and fees.
    When you enroll in Auto Pay. "

See https://www.verizon.com/plans/55plus/ for the formatted version.

Check eligibility

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Thanks as I worded it poorly.

The enticing promotion becomes disappointing after reading the qualifier. My point was there should marketing promotions that target single seniors to minimize confusion,

Here is Verizon's landing page for 55+:
    "Save up to
    $40/mo
    when you
    switch.
    A special offer for those
    55 and older.

Get unlimited on the network
    more people rely on.

$80/mo for 2 lines

Plus taxes and fees.
    When you enroll in Auto Pay. "

See https://www.verizon.com/plans/55plus/ for the formatted version.

Check eligibility

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
    Just go with prepaid then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast