Thread: AT&T data throttling unlimited basic vs elite question

Feedback Score

AT&T data throttling unlimited basic vs elite question

Am considering out of necessity to upgrade to the AT&T Unlimited basic ($65). However on another forum, it was suggested to me that AT&T will data throttle the basic unlimited plan much more often than the elite. He said where he lived between the hours of three and five, it was dial up modem speed. He said things were much better when he switched to the elite ($75) plan. Can anybody confirm whether this is true or not? Right now I'm paying $55 for a 9Gig plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not throttling, its called deprioritization and only happens if the tower is busy. I had starter and upgraded to elite and only gained 20-100 Mbps more on most towers. I never had dial up speeds on starter, even when I would connect to a b12 only site.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Think of it like FastPass at Disney World.

Your wait times are the same with or without the FastPass if nobody else is in line for a ride, but the longer the lines get, the more dramatic the difference between the FastPass line and the normal line. That’s prioritized/“premium” data vs. deprioritized/regular data.

Feedback Score
    That's an interesting way of putting it! According to the AT&T rep I spoke with today, under the starter plan, they won't start throttling your data until you reach 22G which I don't see myself doing anytime soon.. So I'm giving it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Think of it like FastPass at Disney World.

Your wait times are the same with or without the FastPass if nobody else is in line for a ride, but the longer the lines get, the more dramatic the difference between the FastPass line and the normal line. That’s prioritized/“premium” data vs. deprioritized/regular data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Deprioritization happens at the start of the plan. There is no x data amount before slow down on starter.

Feedback Score
    Well I streamed Pandora without interruption on a 45 minute commute during rush hour traffic (5:00-5:30), so I hope that is a good sign!

Feedback Score
    Quick question if anybody knows. Now that I have unlimited starter plan, does anybody know the cost to add on a cellular version Apple watch?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Apple Watch plans almost always cost $10/month.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geepondy View Post
    Well I streamed Pandora without interruption on a 45 minute commute during rush hour traffic (5:00-5:30), so I hope that is a good sign!
    You most certainly shouldn't have a problem with pandora any time you have signal. If you do, switch right away. Streaming 4k in rush hour traffic is a better stress test.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    You most certainly shouldn't have a problem with pandora any time you have signal. If you do, switch right away. Streaming 4k in rush hour traffic is a better stress test.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Unless it's Verizon depri... that is very real.

Feedback Score
    I have phones on both plans via the Physicians group deal they have. Awesome deal btw if you can get on that plan.

Starter works fine for the most part. If all you want to do is stream some music and casual social media you are fine. That said, there is a difference especially with video. Streaming video during higher traffic times on starter will buffer and have issues. Same with video on reddit or youtube or other sites. On elite, you will rarely see that.

If you live in a low use area, starter will work fine. If you travel a lot or if you live in a high use area Elite is a must have for a user that wants their video and or internet working without having to put the phone down and wait for stuff to load.

Feedback Score

AT&T data throttling unlimited basic vs elite question

There is usually a middle of the road plan available so you didn’t have to hop directly to Elite. Looks like there is an Unlimited Extra Plan in the middle.

You can probably turn Streamsaver off and still get 4K.

But as was stated earlier AT&T usually does not throttle as aggressively as Verizon. They have more bandwidth to work with than Verizon. AT&T Prepaid MVNO can even stream HD when Verizon post-paid can’t, if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tekfranz; 11-20-2021 at 10:46 AM.