Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How will att be on spectrum after the current auction?

Feedback Score

How will att be on spectrum after the current auction?

If att gets the 40mhz others have mentioned they will bid on, will they be in similar shape spectrum wise compared to TMobile and Verizon?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T would still be behind on midband. They would need (80 + however much Verizon gets in the 3.45 – 3.55 GHz auction) MHz of additional midband spectrum to catch up to Verizon, and another 30 MHz or so on top of that to catch up with T-Mobile.

From this article:
    Estimated sub-6GHz spectrum holdings following Auction 107 (C-band)

AT&T does, however, still have the most lowband spectrum. Unfortunately because customer hardware currently only supports the usage of one low band at a time and cannot use anything above 2x2 MIMO for lowband, it is much less useful for capacity. (AT&T can do B5+B5 or 2x20 MHz n5 in markets where they own both CLR blocks because intraband CA still works below 1 GHz, but that’s it.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    AT&T would still be behind on midband. They would need (80 + however much Verizon gets in the 3.45 – 3.55 GHz auction) MHz of additional midband spectrum to catch up to Verizon, and another 30 MHz or so on top of that to catch up with T-Mobile.
    hmm does it "count" that dish signed that strategic agreement to share it's spectrum with at&t? At least my understanding (which could be wrong) is that dish is going to allow at&t to use their spectrum
    https://insidetowers.com/cell-tower-...ctrum-sharing/
    technically it isn't owned by at&t but the agreement is for 10 years

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    If att gets the 40mhz others have mentioned they will bid on, will they be in similar shape spectrum wise compared to TMobile and Verizon?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using HoFo mobile app
    Depends on how much the others get. T-Mobile I will say get none or close to none. They need to save money for the upcoming 2.5 GHz auction. Verizon could get 40 MHz nationwide as well. In area where they already have 180-200 MHz of c-band they maybe only go for 20 MHz or none, but then again these area would be relatively cheap and why not get as much as you can?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This made me wonder: AT&T has no 850MHz in the old BellSouth DCS territory, so I assume the 5G here is on something else, but no idea what it is. Everything I read says they are using 850MHz for their low band 5G. Not that it matters that much at the moment since the LTE is still pretty darn good. Anyway, I was just wondering.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Probably somewhere in the PCS band. In my market, former Ameritech territory with no cellular, they are running LTE on 15x15 PCS A block, 5x5 n2 on PCS B, and the remaining 5x5 slice that they have in PCS B is being used for UMTS until the 3G shutdown.

After that, I expect n2 to be expanded to 10x10.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    This made me wonder: AT&T has no 850MHz in the old BellSouth DCS territory, so I assume the 5G here is on something else, but no idea what it is. Everything I read says they are using 850MHz for their low band 5G. Not that it matters that much at the moment since the LTE is still pretty darn good. Anyway, I was just wondering.
    There are also some areas where AT&T is showing the 5G indicator as a tower is reporting ENDC enabled, but no NR signal has ever been logged. This has been the case in Lincoln, Nebraska for a while -- 5G (not 5Ge, but 5G) indicator shows up but multiple users with Android phones capable of detecting NR in other markets have yet to ever see any. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that being the case in other areas where AT&T lacks 850 MHz as well.
    Active CellMapper user (since 2014). Happy to answer any questions anyone may have about networks in the western Midwest and parts of the Mid-South.

Feedback Score
    There are areas where Verizon has no 850 MHz because at&t has both blocks. Too me it would make sense if Verizon and T-Mobile would swap area where the other has both blocks. Win-win. I mean sure at&t you have 2 blocks in Orlando but you don't have squat in Phoenix for example. And there are many examples. I would think consistency of spectrum would be of importance. Of course there are areas where at&t or Verizon has one block and US Cellular or some on else has the otter and there's nothing you can do there. Other than US Cellular finally goes out of business

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T did acquire some 850 licenses here in NC when they purchased the last of Alltel in 2013. I can’t remember where they all were, but I know Hickory, NC was one of the areas where AT&T gained some 850 and now has 5G deployed. I believe Rockingham was another.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    AT&T did acquire some 850 licenses here in NC when they purchased the last of Alltel in 2013. I can’t remember where they all were, but I know Hickory, NC was one of the areas where AT&T gained some 850 and now has 5G deployed. I believe Rockingham was another.

Did they? I missed that I guess. I know immediately after the Alltel acquisition, Verizon had both A and B in the Triangle at least, as I hired a network engineer who got laid off once the networks were merged, so he had first hand knowledge. I thought he had said Verizon essentially had both cellular bands for all of NC and SC except where HTC had one side.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 12 mini
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Yep, same in Ohio. Verizon was forced to divest a license in almost every CMA in the state, and those B side licenses mostly (if not entirely) went to AT&T. But for some reason, they let Verizon keep both in Cleveland/Akron and Canton.

The result is one extremely dense, high capacity Verizon network in that area; and neither AT&T nor T-Mobile have ever come close to catching up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I found this old map:

https://www.cellularmaps.com/regiona...ed-areas.shtml

Of note is this line for Alltel areas operated by Verizon "a few exceptions exist."

Anyway, I confirmed with my former co-worker that VZW has all the 850MHz spectrum in my area, so not really sure what AT&T is using for the 5G they claim to have deployed on their maps aside from what @joelwnelson describes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I found this old map:

https://www.cellularmaps.com/regiona...ed-areas.shtml

Of note is this line for Alltel areas operated by Verizon "a few exceptions exist."

Anyway, I confirmed with my former co-worker that VZW has all the 850MHz spectrum in my area, so not really sure what AT&T is using for the 5G they claim to have deployed on their maps aside from what @joelwnelson describes.
    awesome find I will be keeping this for reference. So I was right about Rockingham (Richmond county). I see from your profile you're in the Durham area. Is it possible AT&T is just using MmWave in that region? If I am down that way anytime, I may have to check out field test mode on my iPhone to see what’s deployed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I see from your profile you're in the Durham area. Is it possible AT&T is just using MmWave in that region? If I am down that way anytime, I may have to check out field test mode on my iPhone to see what’s deployed.

If you look at this map of south Durham, that doesn't look like 5G+ (mmWave) to me. Seems like some kind of low band or maybe PCS or a combination, but no one seems to be talking about AT&T using PCS bands for 5G, so that led me to ask the question.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 6.28.10 AM.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  60.6 KB

EDIT: The forum software really shrunk that down, but I guess you still get the gist. This is the URL for the map:

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There were rumors several months ago of AT&T using PCS for NSA 5G in the Raleigh-Durham market. Not confirmed with screenshots however.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast