Thread: Text Message Recipients Can't View My Sent Images

Feedback Score

Question Text Message Recipients Can't View My Sent Images

I can send images in a text just fine. However, the images can't be viewed/downloaded. The recipients get a failed download message. The last one I sent was 419 x 1280 and 121 kB. I'm using a Moto E6 with data and wifi turned off.

I previously had an old flip phone from 2009 and it sent images just fine - the recipients could view them. I don't understand what the problem is here. Is it the phone or Page Plus?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What phone is your recipient using? Are you or them using RCS aka Chat settings? Have you tried doing this with data on?

I know MMS uses data, but it does not explain why text+photo work over only photo. Then it could be something with your friends phone.

Sounds like maybe a setting somewhere, but not sure where to start right now without more info.

Feedback Score
    The problem was that the recipient needed to have data enabled to download the image (they forgot about that). I don't think my phone needs to have data or wifi enabled to download images. Weird.

Does anyone know why their phone would need data enabled? It's a six year old Samsung on T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Some phone with MMS will auto enable the data for short time, and then disable the data after it is done. Then there is some phones that does not do this.

MMS will always use some data. SMS does not use data tho.

RCS aka Chat setting will use data too, but I am not sure if RCS will auto-enable and auto-disable data if it needs it like MMS tho. I never really looked into this because I do not have people that use RCS, but for my dad's phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blilb View Post
    Does anyone know why their phone would need data enabled? It's a six year old Samsung on T-Mobile.
    I think older Samsungs did not turn data on/off automatically for MMS like Moto phones did. The advent of widespread VoLTE use makes auto-data more usual in later phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    At some point, both the sender and recipient need some type of data active (wifi with some phones or regular cellular data for others) to view or send pictures. As mentioned, text messages do not require data with the exception of the iPhone that requires either Wi-Fi or cellular data to send or receive iMessage's.
    Just another day in paradise.....