Thread: Simple Mobile ZTE Z836BL that froze but won't die

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Simple Mobile ZTE Z836BL that froze but won't die

I have a small collection of older phones I've never activated or that can't be used anymore, and I occasionally use them for alternative purposes.

I never activated the Z836BL, got it new at Rite Aid and it was my 1st 5" smartphone. I decided I didn't need the Simple Mobile plans and stuck with TracFone.

The ZTE was pretty slow and didn't have much storage capacity. I couldn't add much to it before it began nagging me to delete to create more room. For that reason I demoted it to the bottom of the pile of WiFi only devices.

I resurrected it to try a clock app on it (Big Ben Bonger) and it wouldn't run on it, (other of my phones do) so I deleted the app from the ZTE. That was over a year ago and I tried the app on it again. That time I got the clock app to run on it without it quitting and going to sleep and I was stoked. I could finally use the phone for something! The battery actually held up pretty well all night, I shut it down at 25% and after recharging it, restarted it.

The phone booted the initialization screen and said "optimizing app 1 of 1" with a spiral that kept turning and that was as far as it would load.

I removed the battery and tried to reboot, I held the power button down, numerous attempts with no luck.

Finally decided that was the end of the Z and decided to crush it before discarding it to protect any chance of someone getting my personal info...

I removed the SIM and battery and tried dropping it six feet to a hard linoleum floor from many angles, no damage. I tried stomping on it and no damage. I put the battery back in after the abuse and it did the same frozen startup screen as before.

This is the brain dead phone that needs to be killed but just won't die!

I guess there's something good to be said for cheap all plastic smartphones. If someone needs a cheap phone for very basic use that can stand abuse, might consider an all plastic one. If it dies it probably won't be from being dropped! It'll just die.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That is an old model about 5 years old, not likely it can be activated with any carrier today. While the specs say it supports LTE for data only, I don't think it also has VOLTE. The phone appears to support Android 6.0.1 which might not be fully capable of supporting many newer applications. Someone could use it for Wifi access only, but not for cellular.

If you really want to kill the phone, remove the battery first and drill several holes into the motherboard of the phone before disposing of it.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    That is an old model about 5 years old, not likely it can be activated with any carrier today. While the specs say it supports LTE for data only, I don't think it also has VOLTE. The phone appears to support Android 6.0.1 which might not be fully capable of supporting many newer applications. Someone could use it for Wifi access only, but not for cellular.

If you really want to kill the phone, remove the battery first and drill several holes into the motherboard of the phone before disposing of it.
    I was thinking of using a brick or a hammer on it and soaking the thing in water. Even if it could be used still, it's a so glitchy I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone.

The battery was the best thing about it but I don't know what other phone uses it.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app