Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Scary message from Tracfone (no, not Halloween-related!)

Feedback Score

Scary message from Tracfone (no, not Halloween-related!)

I am on TF AT&T. When I logged into my account, I got this scary-sounding message:

"Our records indicate that your current phone is not compatible with the carrier’s standard network which means you may experience dropped calls and poor reception. Your service will continually degrade until your device stops working.
    The only way to prevent these issues is by upgrading your device to a VoLTE compatible phone. Click here or visit your local retailer to get a compatible device."

The part I have bolded above scared me. Will it really play out that way? I've read here on HoFo about Feb 2022, and AT&T holding people hostage with their VoLTE shenanigans. I haven't noticed any dropped calls or poor reception yet, but will my device really just drop dead in Feb 2022?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice anyone can offer!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Very well could. Or it could start sooner as some 3G services are shutdown before the date (Verizon has been doing that).

Or AT&T could go past the date or even change it like Verizon had done a few times.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I haven't noticed any dropped calls or poor reception yet, but will my device really just drop dead in Feb 2022?
    Like ST Dog said, AT&T is phasing out 3G with a target completion date of Feb 2022 (not clear to me if that will be Feb 1st or Feb 28th). They will be replacing 3G towers with 4G towers. If your phone is 3G and more and more 3G towers get shut down, it'll be harder for your phone to find a working 3G tower, and might have to connect to one much farther away which causes poorer signal, or no 3g tower at all.

If that's the only you phone you have and AT&T is the only carrier in your area, you should start shopping for a replacement phone. I wouldn't play "chicken" against them if you depend on your phone service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Like ST Dog said, AT&T is phasing out 3G with a target completion date of Feb 2022 (not clear to me if that will be Feb 1st or Feb 28th). They will be replacing 3G towers with 4G towers. If your phone is 3G and more and more 3G towers get shut down, it'll be harder for your phone to find a working 3G tower, and might have to connect to one much farther away which causes poorer signal, or no 3g tower at all.

If that's the only you phone you have and AT&T is the only carrier in your area, you should start shopping for a replacement phone. I wouldn't play "chicken" against them if you depend on your phone service.
    I should have mentioned that the phone isn't a flip phone. It is a smartphone but isn't on "The List" of compatible phones. I am wondering what will happen to it in Feb 2022.

I do have a Tracfone-branded Moto E that I could use. Maybe I am just being stupid but I feel like taking a stand against AT&T's dictatorship

Feedback Score
    It's called progress.
    Everyone is shutting down 3g, not just ATT.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I am just being stupid but I feel like taking a stand against AT&T's dictatorship
    Yeah, you do that.

And while you're at it, take up the banner for leaded gas, 78 RPM records, 8-track tapes, floppy disks, dial telephones, pay phones, stick shift cars, dashikis, double-knit suits and of course-- buggy whips ;-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I am just being stupid but I feel like taking a stand against AT&T's dictatorship
    David vs Goliath 😁

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned that the phone isn't a flip phone.

That makes no difference with the pending, older network shutdown. They already have approved flip phones that support the newer 4G networks.

And that would be a losing proposition for you. I guarantee that At&t will win that fight.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I feel like taking a stand against AT&T's dictatorship
    Private for-profit company, their network, their service, their terms. In short, their bat, their ball, their rules.

You don't like theirs? So get your service from another company. Oh wait, the others are just the same ;-)

Evil dictatorship? You want what, comrade-- The People's Cell Phone Commissariat?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    David vs Goliath 😁
    More like a snowball's chance in a very "warm" climate.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    More like a snowball's chance in a very "warm" climate.
    ....or a street kid going 3 rounds in the ring with Mike Tyson.

Feedback Score
    You can just use the payphone on the corner.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Black Friday is a great time to buy a new phone. Wait until February and you may pay retail.

Feedback Score
    I have the same message. Two separate things going on here, one is the 3g decom, and yes, if your device is only 3g you're just out of luck sooner or later. The other part is the VOLTE requirement. It seems ATT is going through a whitelisting approach which doesn't allow some devices that should otherwise work to actually work. That part I don't like either, but Cricket is already kicking people off with unapproved devices that should work, so it's going to happen.

I have an old tablet that gets this message and it works fine as it is actually 4G, just not VOLTE (And I don't care as I don't make calls on it anyway). So I'll be using it till it stops working, which being a tablet was never promised anyway.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using HoFo mobile app
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro () - Google Pixel 4a 5G

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast