Thread: Best prepaid unlimited?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Best prepaid unlimited?

I am currently using a Safelink phone with the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit), which gives a generous 200GB of data. I found out the hard way though, that if you exceed that, there's no throttle down, just no data service at all. Still it's easy to stay under, the one time I did exceed it was very close to the end of the allotted days.

I'm obviously low income, disabled, and in need of something to replace this service with once the EBB program ends. I purchased a SIMple mobile phone for temporary use when my Safelink (Verizon 4g), ran out. It gives me one option, but I see it could be throttled under heavy use. I often use the phone tethered to the laptop for better screen. I have never once had any company take issue with it, as I have never used multiple devices or WiFi tethering, just an app and corded USB. It doesn't really allow the phone to stream anything faster than it would otherwise, videos are still limited in resolution. I'm guessing the fact it's not WiFi and it's not doing anything the phone couldn't do on it's own (save for running Windows and Windows native software), and a bigger screen and physical mouse and keyboard, they don't take issue.

Prior to this, I used AT&T prepaid unlimited. Never really encountered throttling, even though I used about the same amount of Data then as now, maybe more some months. That's $60 and tax, even after autopay, and my AT&T phone (the cheapest grocery store POS) is broken. Screens not available like they used to be, so it's usable, but in need of replacement.

So anyway my experience has been that in places such as where I live (a small city of no more than 12K), throttling if any, is quite rare. Just not enough folks to warrant it. I have noticed, Verizon is worse than T-Mobile about prioritizing some traffic, while de-prioritizing other sites. It's been too long with AT&T to recall if some traffic was prioritized over other. I also lived more rurally before, and am now in the city itself. Getting a 5G phone is just not an economic possibility as yet, even though 5G is available locally.

So also, Mint isn't an option, the monthly payment option is the best I can afford, three months at a time just isn't feasible. Looks to me like SIMple mobile is the least costly I can see, but I'd have to take the risk and use it all month, to see if throttling became an issue. I personally can't stand AT&T; their service itself was fine, but the company and dealing with them, is only a little better than Verizon, which isn't saying much. I also don't want to pay over $60 a month if I don't have to. I'm guessing their service is as good as it ever was, and I'm pretty sure it would meet my needs, just at that cost being high, I'm hoping other options exist.

Safelink doesn't offer unlimited, so after EBB, that's not an option. I have heard of Visible, but know nothing about them. So far AFAIK, Simple mobile looks about the best, but that's why I post, maybe someone else has similar budget issues and more experience?

Anyway I have the Simple phone (needs 5 more months to unlock from network), a phone for AT&T (cracked but serviceable if need be, plus replacement isn't expensive), a Samsung A01 (worst crap ever), I use on Safelink, eligible for unlock in January, and a Tracfone backup phone (Moto E6). Nothing special, but all 4G. Is there a transfer rate difference for USB C phones? Only two are USB-C.

I'd love if I could afford broadband, but locally we have two choices, neither affordable. I'm not a heavy internet user in general, but for phone internet, yes definitely a heavy data user....

Sorry for such a long winded post, just looking for best options?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    I am currently using a Safelink phone with the EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit), which gives a generous 200GB of data. I found out the hard way though, that if you exceed that, there's no throttle down, just no data service at all. Still it's easy to stay under, the one time I did exceed it was very close to the end of the allotted days.

I'm obviously low income, disabled, and in need of something to replace this service with once the EBB program ends. I purchased a SIMple mobile phone for temporary use when my Safelink (Verizon 4g), ran out. It gives me one option, but I see it could be throttled under heavy use. I often use the phone tethered to the laptop for better screen. I have never once had any company take issue with it, as I have never used multiple devices or WiFi tethering, just an app and corded USB. It doesn't really allow the phone to stream anything faster than it would otherwise, videos are still limited in resolution. I'm guessing the fact it's not WiFi and it's not doing anything the phone couldn't do on it's own (save for running Windows and Windows native software), and a bigger screen and physical mouse and keyboard, they don't take issue.

Prior to this, I used AT&T prepaid unlimited. Never really encountered throttling, even though I used about the same amount of Data then as now, maybe more some months. That's $60 and tax, even after autopay, and my AT&T phone (the cheapest grocery store POS) is broken. Screens not available like they used to be, so it's usable, but in need of replacement.

So anyway my experience has been that in places such as where I live (a small city of no more than 12K), throttling if any, is quite rare. Just not enough folks to warrant it. I have noticed, Verizon is worse than T-Mobile about prioritizing some traffic, while de-prioritizing other sites. It's been too long with AT&T to recall if some traffic was prioritized over other. I also lived more rurally before, and am now in the city itself. Getting a 5G phone is just not an economic possibility as yet, even though 5G is available locally.

So also, Mint isn't an option, the monthly payment option is the best I can afford, three months at a time just isn't feasible. Looks to me like SIMple mobile is the least costly I can see, but I'd have to take the risk and use it all month, to see if throttling became an issue. I personally can't stand AT&T; their service itself was fine, but the company and dealing with them, is only a little better than Verizon, which isn't saying much. I also don't want to pay over $60 a month if I don't have to. I'm guessing their service is as good as it ever was, and I'm pretty sure it would meet my needs, just at that cost being high, I'm hoping other options exist.

Safelink doesn't offer unlimited, so after EBB, that's not an option. I have heard of Visible, but know nothing about them. So far AFAIK, Simple mobile looks about the best, but that's why I post, maybe someone else has similar budget issues and more experience?

Anyway I have the Simple phone (needs 5 more months to unlock from network), a phone for AT&T (cracked but serviceable if need be, plus replacement isn't expensive), a Samsung A01 (worst crap ever), I use on Safelink, eligible for unlock in January, and a Tracfone backup phone (Moto E6). Nothing special, but all 4G. Is there a transfer rate difference for USB C phones? Only two are USB-C.

I'd love if I could afford broadband, but locally we have two choices, neither affordable. I'm not a heavy internet user in general, but for phone internet, yes definitely a heavy data user....

if you have a number currently not on t-mobile network you can port to Metro By T-Mobile and get a free 5G handset (i would select the Oneplus N10 but a couple others available) and get locked into $25.00/month for at least 2 years

officially tethering is banned on the plan but no reason it should not work with your USB and app method which i assume is PDAnet/FoxFi or similar.

you will also have to trade in a phone but it can be broken and of a zero dollar value(for this promo only, trade-ins have different requirements for different promos) so any old phone lying around would qualify

it is T-Mobile but so is the simple mobile so a assume that works well for you.

FWIW. This is a limited time offer and could end at any time

Feedback Score
    ...I have heard of Visible, but know nothing about them. So far AFAIK, Simple mobile looks about the best, but that's why I post, maybe someone else has similar budget issues and more experience?...
    Hope the following helps about Visible.

I suggest just throw $5 at Visible for a month & see if it meets your needs. If you use a friend code, you’ll get your first month for $5. Don't take anyone's word in place of your personal experience.

If you're a bit confused about joining Visible, a friend code & joining Party Pay post#352 explains everything nicely.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Thread/page24
    Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/36csHv, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible.
    When you use my friend code, 36csHv, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5!

Join my Party Pay Group 38,147 members (no information is shared with other members)
    https://visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote & never pay more than $25 a month.

Visible $25/mo
    Liberty 09.06.2022
    TMo 01.05.22
    Truphone 01.18.22

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    if you have a number currently not on t-mobile network you can port to Metro By T-Mobile and get a free 5G handset (i would select the Oneplus N10 but a couple others available) and get locked into $25.00/month for at least 2 years

officially tethering is banned on the plan but no reason it should not work with your USB and app method which i assume is PDAnet/FoxFi or similar.

you will also have to trade in a phone but it can be broken and of a zero dollar value(for this promo only, trade-ins have different requirements for different promos) so any old phone lying around would qualify

it is T-Mobile but so is the simple mobile so a assume that works well for you.

FWIW. This is a limited time offer and could end at any time
    But isn't that contract? I can get a contract with AT&T only, got rejected by T-Mobile before. Not really "bad credit" just invisible. AT&T is and AFAIK has always been the easiest to get a contract from.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Part of the problem is not knowing when EBB ends. Hard to justify paying for a service I'm getting free. I could better spend money on an affordable health insurance policy for my cats (vet bills are a killer!). So it's hard to guess when that will be, and not really a lot of sense in starting anything until then.

I suppose getting this Samsung unlocked is the best option for now, as I suspect EBB will last that long. It's a crappy phone in and of itself, but capable of even GSM bands. I guess Samsung just sorta made a one size fits all phone, even if it's crappy with 16GB of non expandable internal memory, at least it can run LTE on any US carrier network. I suspect all of my 4G Tracfones are such.

The 5G phones are pretty pricey, but eventually I suppose I will need to find one, somehow.

Feedback Score

Semi-rural broadband access I use

I got a SIM from 4gltewifi.com that uses a.t.t. Put it in my router, getting ~11mbps in the early hours, less in evening when there is more network load. Costs 62/month. Might work in tethered phone(?). Works well for me, hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    BTW, I used a different vendor for same type of capability, cost 90/month, now going up to 120. too much $. I used ~160G/month.

Feedback Score
    I would really suggest trying Visible.

You could get a new Blade A7 Prime ( https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones/blade-11-prime ) for $89, and if you port in a number from an eligible carrier ( https://www.visible.com/help/port-in-promotions ) , you get a $50 prepaid virtual MC after your 2nd payment. As already noted above, your first month would be $5 with a referral code, and then the cost is $25/mo TOTAL with anonymous Party Pay. Unlimited everything, including hotspot. Calls to Canada and Mexico included. If your current carrier isn't eligible for the $50, the Blade A3 Prime ( https://www.visible.com/shop/smartph...e/?sku=Z5157VS ) is $69, and potentially free with the Visible Swap program ( https://www.visible.com/deals/swap ).

If you find the service isn't good enough after you receive your $50 prepaid virtual MC, then you can try another MVNO.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Boz1 here about trying Visible. See six posts above post#3 for all the details.

Feedback Score
    But isn't that contract? I can get a contract with AT&T only, got rejected by T-Mobile before. Not really "bad credit" just invisible. AT&T is and AFAIK has always been the easiest to get a contract from.
    no contract, no credit check, 'Metro by T-Mobile' is strictly prepaid no commitment sub-brand.

Visible though as others are suggesting is also a good option

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    no contract, no credit check, 'Metro by T-Mobile' is strictly prepaid no commitment sub-brand.

That really may be my best option. I live in a small city where 5G is available, but very few folks have phones to use it. Very few folks who can afford it care to bother, most of the wealthier folks are retired. The 4G is enough to get by on, but in peak hours it can buffer at times.

In fact, I'd wager that the 5G here is so under utilized, that throttling and de-prioritization won't be and issue near as much as it is with 4G.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Well it was a nice idea, turns out you need an "eligible trade in device" nothing I have would qualify. Basically you have to have a very high end 4G device to qualify.

Feedback Score
    Well it was a nice idea, turns out you need an "eligible trade in device" nothing I have would qualify. Basically you have to have a very high end 4G device to qualify.
    I don't believe that's supposed to be true-- but the problem a lot of folks run into is that most Metro stores are independently owned, rather than owned directly by Metro/T-Mobile, and they tend to make up their own rules.
    The usual advice is to go to a corporate-owned store instead of an independent. That might not be an option in your small town: there aren't even any corporate stores in my city of over a million population.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    for the free 5g device and $25 plan 'eligible trade in' can be pretty much any device, even with a zero dollar value and a cracked screen.

for most of the other trade-in deals phone must have a 'fair market value' and no damage. the general rule with Metro so far seems to be if the trade in triggers a cheaper rate plan anything qualifies, for trade ins that trigger a bigger device discount it is much more restrictive.

FWIW. You may actually have an easier time with a zero value trade-in. the reason is dealers are subject to chargebacks if they make any mistakes in accepting trade-ins(for example there is liquid damage, device blacklisted, etc.) the chargeback is for the trade-in value. on a zero value device the risk is eliminated.