Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Phone / Transfer Question

Feedback Score

New Phone / Transfer Question

Hi All!
    I would appreciate some feedback on how to best do this upgrade.

My son currently uses a google pixel 3a with a sim card that we swapped in from a TF Rebel 2.
    He now wants to upgrade and buy an unlocked google pixel 6.

How do we best do this upgrade? Just swap the Rebel 2 sim from the pixel 3a to the new pixel 6 and be done? Any risks / issues with that approach?
    Also, is there a good and inexpensive way to maybe add like a year of service in the process?

If it makes any difference: I still have an unused TF BYOP activation kit with 3 sim cards sitting around that I purchased back in 2017 which is supposed to have triple minutes for life. Can I / should I use that?

Thanks for any help with this - I just want to avoid making a mistake here.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Which carrier do the phones use? No problem swapping SIMs on TF/AT&T and TF/T-mo.

TF/Verizon ties the SIM number to the phone's IMEI, so it's best to use a new SIM and do a service transfer instead of SIM swapping. It's also a no-no to use the SIM of a TF-branded phone in a BYOP phone, because that SIM is tied to the original TF-branded phone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham!
    The carrier is Verizon.
    That's exactly what we are doing though: using the sim from a TF Rebel 2 in a BYOP pixel 3a. You are saying that's a no-no? Haven't had any issues (yet).
    So I should use that sim kit from 2017, and do a proper transfer by phone? Is there any way to inexpensively add a year of service (plus mins, texts, data) in the process?
    Thanks again!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    The carrier is Verizon. That's exactly what we are doing though: using the sim from a TF Rebel 2 in a BYOP pixel 3a. You are saying that's a no-no? Haven't had any issues (yet).
    So I should use that sim kit from 2017, and do a proper transfer by phone? Is there any way to inexpensively add a year of service in the process?
    Although SIM-swapping didn't cause problems in the past, within the last 12 months or so TF and Verizon had tightened up the pairing of SIM number with IMEIs. I won't rehash the problems that people encountered and posted about them in this forum. If you want to know more, read the posts that discussed SIM-swapping.

The cheapest I know of right now is This Deal on Ebay which you get a preloaded BYOP SIM (you select the carrier) with 1200/1200/3GB and 1 year of service for $60. You use that SIM in lieu of a SIM from a BYOP SIM Kit. Activate it with a transfer from your current service and it will have your current phone number, balances/days + 1200/1200/3GB and 1 more year of service.

That deal had been on sale for as low as $29 to $40. So if you're not in a hurry, wait until Black Friday/Christmas to see if the price drops.

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much!
    I will do that - get this ebay deal and then activate with the transfer.
    When doing the activation / transfer, that's best done by phone, right?
    Do I need to give them the IMEI of the donor phone (Rebel 2)?

Feedback Score
    That ebay deal seems like a great deal! For how long has that been around? I am asking because I am wondering if I should be worried about that deal going away.

Feedback Score
    Oh ... one more question: does that ebay deal come with a Verizon sim?

EDIT: never mind, it says it on there that it comes with 3 sim cards. I think. :-)

Feedback Score
    yet one more question on this whole ordeal:
    Is the brand new Google Pixel 6 going to work with Tracfone as BYOP?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1. Best to use Chat to do the activation (with a transfer). Ask the rep at the beginning of the chat for your current balances, so that info will be in the chat transcript for record.
    2. You don't have to give the IMEI of the Rebel 2, just the phone number of the current line, but you have to provide the IMEI of the new phone so it can be paired with the SIM number of the preloaded SIM.
    3. You select the carrier of the SIM when you make the purchase.
    4. $60 is the regular price of that deal, so it won't disappear or go up.
    5. The Pixel 6 is a new phone. Nobody here has reported using it as BYOP yet, but I don't see it being a problem. Some people reported having problems activating a phone with 5G or eSIM.

Feedback Score
    hpham,
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    I’m doing a similar upgrade for my SO, but on Net10/AT&T. Anyone know if I can just SIM swap, or do I need a new SIM, and have to do a transfer? Their website doesn’t have a clear answer.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Last Black Friday Tracfone dropped the price from $60 to $20.
    There have been reports of people receiving the SIM card with no associated airtime. Use chat ahead of time and ask if the CSR sees any airtime.

You will not be asked for the IMEI of the Rebel 2, but the IMEI may have already been updated to that of the pixel 3a.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    I’m doing a similar upgrade for my SO, but on Net10/AT&T. Anyone know if I can just SIM swap, or do I need a new SIM, and have to do a transfer? Their website doesn’t have a clear answer.
    With the changes being made by all three providers it is probably best to do a transfer to a new SIM so that all is provisioned correctly for everything to work and the records correct.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    Thanks hpham!
    The carrier is Verizon.
    That's exactly what we are doing though: using the sim from a TF Rebel 2 in a BYOP pixel 3a. You are saying that's a no-no? Haven't had any issues (yet).
    So I should use that sim kit from 2017, and do a proper transfer by phone? Is there any way to inexpensively add a year of service (plus mins, texts, data) in the process?
    Thanks again!!
    Word of advice from someone that has experienced TracFone suspending service for TF/VZW sim swapping. Do the proper transfer of service, until you do that leave the sim in the Pixel 3, don't swap it back and forth between the two phones. You may be ok doing it that way until you find a good deal on a sim bundle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    With the changes being made by all three providers it is probably best to do a transfer to a new SIM so that all is provisioned correctly for everything to work and the records correct.
    Although it irks me to have to buy a new SIM instead of just swapping, which should be perfectly acceptable, for $1.44 after tax and 911 fees this wasn’t the place to make a principled stand. Looking forward to seeing how the Pixel 6 is. By far the most we ever spent on a phone, hopefully the camera combined with the long support window make it worth it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast