Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Simple Mobile Moto e5 XT1920DL Questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Simple Mobile Moto e5 XT1920DL Questions

I bought a Simple Mobile Moto e5 from Best Buy in 2017 and never activated it, just used it as a WiFi device.

Can it still be activated with the original SIM or do their SIMs expire? Would it have to be activated with a new SIM?

Network Info Lite says it's NOT VoLTE capable. Does anyone know if that's true?

The documentation that came with the phone says,

Operating modes/frequencies/bands:
    Bluetooth 2400-2483.5 mhz
    WLAN 2400-2483.5 mhz
    WLAN 5150-5725mhz
    NFC N/A
    GPS (receive only) 1164-1610mhz
    FM (receiver) 86-108mhz
    CDMA BCO/BC1
    GSM 2/3/5/8 (Bands)
    UMTS 1/2/4/5/8 (Bands)
    LTE 1/2/4/5/8/12/13/66/71

It's such a good phone I thought it might be worth activating with some chance of getting it unlocked in a year. There are probably cheaper plans that offer better deals for monthly data but this one runs on T-Mobile and that works better here than Verizon. (I have an unlocked Moto E on RP GSMT, T-Mo).

I also have a Simple Mobile LG Fiesta 2 that I never activated and not sure if that does VoLTE either.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Not sure if the factory installed SIM is dated like the BYOP SIMs are. You might look at it.

VoLTE capability is not going to show on an inactivated phone. Those models were VoLTE capable on Verizon, but not sure on T-Mobile or AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Simple Mobile is T-Mobile service only. But it is still a DL model. I ran my Simple Mobile E5 with both AT&T and Verizon TF SIMs (before Verizon clamped down on SIM swapping). The expiration date for a T-Mobile SIM may not fit on the SIM itself. Buy a TF BYOP kit and activate the T-Mobile SIM. If it doesn`t work be prepared to transfer the service to another phone.

Feedback Score
    I have the same model Moto E5, but mine came in a Tracfone box. (with a Verizon SIM.)
    On Mint Mobile's IMEI tester (T-Mobile), it reports as having VoLTE, and all the bands previously listed.

On the same Mint tester, the Fiesta 2 (BL model) reports as having T-Mo VoLTE, but no bands 66/71. (My SO is using the Fiesta 2, BL model, on Tello now, starting about 10 days ago, after we got it unlocked.)

I don't know what the chances are of getting them unlocked by Tracfone. You'll need to make sure you're taking all the right steps (no BYOD SIM without CSR instruction) to have a chance.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Simple Mobile is T-Mobile service only. But it is still a DL model. I ran my Simple Mobile E5 with both AT&T and Verizon TF SIMs (before Verizon clamped down on SIM swapping). The expiration date for a T-Mobile SIM may not fit on the SIM itself. Buy a TF BYOP kit and activate the T-Mobile SIM. If it doesn`t work be prepared to transfer the service to another phone.
    Thanks for the info.

I didn't see a date on the SIM (used a magnifying glass, the SIM numbers are light gray and hard to see).

If I can put another SIM in, then I take it I can activate it even if this SIM expired.

The $25 plan seems good, add on data only $5 for 2gb.

Of course Mint Mobile is much cheaper, but need an unlocked phone for that and won't have one available to use until after April. No point buying another if I have three Motos due to unlock (or year plan to expire) in April.

If the e5 doesn't work for some reason, SM sells the e6 for 39.99 (19.99 for a refurb) and I got a code at the website for 25% off if bundled with a plan.

They have a refurb G6 for about 45 but not sure about that one.

I guess like TF, SM offers codes for occasional discounts?

Guess I could chat with an SM CSR and see what they say about the SIM. They might be able to check the number to see if it shows as still good in their system.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I have the same model Moto E5, but mine came in a Tracfone box. (with a Verizon SIM.)
    On Mint Mobile's IMEI tester (T-Mobile), it reports as having VoLTE, and all the bands previously listed.

On the same Mint tester, the Fiesta 2 (BL model) reports as having T-Mo VoLTE, but no bands 66/71. (My SO is using the Fiesta 2, BL model, on Tello now, starting about 10 days ago, after we got it unlocked.)

I don't know what the chances are of getting them unlocked by Tracfone. You'll need to make sure you're taking all the right steps (no BYOD SIM without CSR instruction) to have a chance.
    Thanks greenhandle. The Mint, VoLTE, band info is useful. Glad I didn't decide in favor of the F2 because of the missing bands but it's also got an older Android version than the e5.

After trying SM, could also try Mint later after I unlock my TF Motos in April or May. If it does the job for less, could just go with Mint.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I just did a chat with a SM CSR (Julio) and provided him with the e5's model, IMEI & SIM info. He said yes, it can be activated.

Any codes to get a discount for activation?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I just did a chat with a SM CSR (Julio) and provided him with the e5's model, IMEI & SIM info. He said yes, it can be activated.

Any codes to get a discount for activation?

Then you should be set to activate it online with TF airtime if you wish. The TF airtime should automatically rebrand it as a TF. Using the included SIM should allow you to unlock it in one year of paid TF service. If you do not care about unlocking it you could also activate a newly purchased TF BYOP AT&T SIM with TF airtime and put it in the E5. You cannot easily activate it with Verizon service.

We must wait and see what rules Verizon will come up with for mixing and matching. It would help us if Verizon's main concern is retaining happy customers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Then you should be set to activate it online with TF airtime if you wish. The TF airtime should automatically rebrand it as a TF. Using the included SIM should allow you to unlock it in one year of paid TF service. If you do not care about unlocking it you could also activate a newly purchased TF BYOP AT&T SIM with TF airtime and put it in the E5. You cannot easily activate it with Verizon service.

We must wait and see what rules Verizon will come up with for mixing and matching. It would help us if Verizon's main concern is retaining happy customers.
    My concern is that if something scroodles up on activation, if I try to activate on TF instead of SM, it'll complicate remedies if any are available. Otherwise a TF T-Mobile BYOD SIM would be more economical.

The SIM is clearly SM (T-Mobile) because of the numerals the ICCID begins with. (890126) so in activation when they request the SIM #, it's apparent.

I do have a locked e5 I've had on TF/VZ and swapped service to my Straight Talk e6 because the e5 was having problems. I did a hard reset on it and it seems to be working ok now except the headset jack doesn't work. My main issue is Verizon though and need AT&T or T-Mobile here.

One concern with the SM e5 is that the signal bar indicator on the notification bar shows as an empty triangle. On startup, the lockscreen has a notice about the SIM not being provisioned, (screenshot of that), which I guess just means it hasn't been activated. Yesterday it was saying no service available in my area temporarily and that didn't sound good.

Usually my inactive phones still show how many bars signal strength, not an empty triangle. I'm wondering if the SIM expired even if the CSR said it was ok.

If I try to activate it and it has problems, can't get my plan refunded. Once in awhile if there are problems if I'm activating with the help of a CSR, they try to rectify the problem, add airtime lost in the transfer or whatever. So if I activate the phone, it'll be on chat instead of using the web activation link the CSR gave me yesterday.

I'm going to add some screenshots of the phone's APN, call network setting, and the notification on lockscreen.

Name:  Screenshot_SIMnotProvisioned.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  39.0 KBName:  Screenshot_SMnetworkSet.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  21.2 KBName:  Screenshot_SMapn3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  14.2 KBName:  Screenshot_SMapn2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  15.6 KBName:  Screenshot_SMapn1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  15.6 KB

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The SIM is clearly SM (T-Mobile) because of the numerals the ICCID begins with. (890126) so in activation when they request the SIM #, it's apparent.
    890126 only means that it's a SIM for T-mo service. Doesn't mean that it's a SM SIM. Activate with TF and it'll use TF/T-mo.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    890126 only means that it's a SIM for T-mo service. Doesn't mean that it's a SM SIM. Activate with TF and it'll use TF/T-mo.
    Hi hpham. I was thinking TF wasn't willing to promote or provide phones with T-Mobile SIMs anymore although I guess they still allow them on BYODs since they sell the SIM kits in the eBay store.

What would you suggest, try to activate by chat and if they bust the device as SM, say geez, but it boots with the TF logo and looks just like my TF e5 I bought on eBay...

Only problem is, if I pay for the plan before they bust the phone as being SM, I lose the plan loot when they shut the service off (likely the SIM would just deactivate suddenly like my Straight Talk SIM did when I rebranded the LG Fiesta to TF. I went to chat and had them transfer the account to a TF branded phone).

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You're overthinking it. Just activate it on TF using Chat or online.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You're overthinking it. Just activate it on TF using Chat or online.
    Exactly what I was about to type. I think sometimes recommendations made are worded differently but are the same, or sometimes they sound the same but contradict. IMHO that results in some of the phone issues people end up having. Too much over thinking and missing the basics.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    What's the APN for a TF that runs on T-Mobile? I could compare it to the APN on my phone and if something doesn't work, I can edit the settings. Can someone here screenshot the APN of their active T-Mobile served TF and post it in this thread?

Feedback Score
    What's the APN for a TF that runs on T-Mobile? I could compare it to the APN on my phone and if something doesn't work, I can edit the settings. Can someone here screenshot the APN of their active T-Mobile served TF and post it in this thread?

My TFWAP apn settings are exactly like yours EXCEPT

APN is set to wap.tracfone
    And
    MVNO value is set to deff

I have a second APN which is not selectable. Not sure when it was installed. Here are screenshots. The are in reverse order. Can't seem to get them sorted using tablet. Drag and drop doesn't seem to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast