Thread: Tracfone thinks my working number is inactive

Feedback Score

Tracfone thinks my working number is inactive

I logged into my Tracfone account last night for the first time in a few months. I have a BYOD SIM in an unlocked iPhone SE - service through December 23 2023. My phone number was missing, and in its place was my IMEI under “inactive” devices. I turned on my iPhone (used as a backup device) and everything was good according to 611611. My balances were exactly what I expected.

I removed the “inactive” IMEI, but can’t put it back. That part of Tracfone’s system insists my number doesn’t exist. It does, and it’s working. I can call, text, and use data, but who knows for how long

Chat was not helpful. They don’t understand what’s going on, and neither do I.

Help?

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyLimePie View Post
    I logged into my Tracfone account last night for the first time in a few months. I have a BYOD SIM in an unlocked iPhone SE - service through December 23 2023. My phone number was missing, and in its place was my IMEI under “inactive” devices.
    Help?
    Just some ideas:
    - Was the BYOP SIM activated with the IMEI of the unlocked iPhone SE, or was with another IMEI? Is the IMEI shown as INACTIVE the iPhone SE's IMEI?
    - Was the phone gone unused for longer than 6 months? A smartphone with no activities in 6 months can be deactivated by TF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Just some ideas:
    - Was the BYOP SIM activated with the IMEI of the unlocked iPhone SE, or was with another IMEI? Is the IMEI shown as INACTIVE the iPhone SE's IMEI?
    - Was the phone gone unused for longer than 6 months? A smartphone with no activities in 6 months can be deactivated by TF.
    I honestly don’t remember what phone I used when I activated. I have a few. I haven’t moved the SIM for at least 6 months. The IMEI labeled inactive was the iPhone.

I made a call in August, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

611611 recognizes my number, but calling 611 and entering my phone number does not. 611 says my number needs to be activated.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have seen the Tracfone apps have issues or glitches in the past.

You could be running into one of these glitches.

Feedback Score
    I’m more nervous about 611 telling me my number is inactive. Texting 611611 is the only part of Tracfone that knows my number still works.

Feedback Score
    Try this: 305-715-6500, Ext.1029. This is Tracfone executive resolutions number. Hopefully it still works, as I have not used it for a long time.

Feedback Score
    In the account, is there a way to add the phone using the sim number?

(I once added an inactive sim just to see if it was good.)

In case your IMEI is not paired to anything anymore, at least the sim number is recognized.

What carrier is it on anyway?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    In the account, is there a way to add the phone using the sim number?

(I once added an inactive sim just to see if it was good.)

In case your IMEI is not paired to anything anymore, at least the sim number is recognized.

What carrier is it on anyway?
    It’s a Verizon SIM. I chose Verizon last year when I activated in anticipation of the merger.

Anyway, after a 56 minute call with Tracfone, my service is active again. I lost a few service days, but gained a few gigs (!) of data.

Still have no clue what happened or why. I wasn’t moving the SIM around or anything like that. Another Tracfone mystery 🤨

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Samsung A50
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Total Wireless, Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a line that's been that way for months and I just ignore the message. I didn't remove the IMEI because I assumed it was an error. After I login my real balances show.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YaWho View Post
    I have a line that's been that way for months and I just ignore the message. I didn't remove the IMEI because I assumed it was an error. After I login my real balances show.
    How many service days do you have? Most of mine were purchased with reward points.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    How many service days do you have? Most of mine were purchased with reward points.
    Service to 2026 also paid mostly with points. The phone works fine.

Feedback Score
    Service to 2026 also paid mostly with points. The phone works fine.
    So did mine, but who knows for how long?

Have you tried adding paid airtime recently? It shouldn’t matter, but this is Tracfone. It’s not paranoia to assume the worst

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So did mine, but who knows for how long?

Have you tried adding paid airtime recently? It shouldn’t matter, but this is Tracfone. It’s not paranoia to assume the worst
    I haven't added any paid time in awhile. Have you tried logging into your account via the website? If the IMEI was removed from your account you should be able to add it back there.

Feedback Score
    I haven't added any paid time in awhile. Have you tried logging into your account via the website? If the IMEI was removed from your account you should be able to add it back there.
    Yes, I tried adding the IMEI and sim number. Both were “inactive” according to Tracfone, even though my phone still worked. I considered ignoring it as long as everything still worked, but Tracfone.

I didn’t want to actually lose service at some point in the future , so I spent an hour on the phone with customer service.

Feedback Score
    ...but this is Tracfone. It’s not paranoia to assume the worst
    Prudent of you.
    Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/36csHv, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible.
    When you use my friend code, 36csHv, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5!

Join my Party Pay Group 38,147 members (no information is shared with other members)
    https://visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote & never pay more than $25 a month.

Visible $25/mo
    Liberty 09.06.2022
    TMo 01.05.22
    Truphone 01.18.22