Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: MVNO for 2G/3G

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0

    MVNO for 2G/3G

    With some of the 2G and 3G networks to be around for another 6 months or a year still, are any of the MVNOs still willing to activate for 2G or 3G?

    I'm just looking for voice service, and hoping to squeeze some more life out of my phone, which is less than 2 years old, but (supposedly) not 4G-compatible.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,547
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    What phone do you have?

    There is hard to find a MVNO that supports the old 2G/3G stuff.

    The only tower carrier that is keeping 2G at least for now is T-Mobile. So you might have a chance with a T-Mobile based MVNO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    757
    Device(s)
    NUU X6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Hello Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    What phone do you have?

    There is hard to find a MVNO that supports the old 2G/3G stuff.

    The only tower carrier that is keeping 2G at least for now is T-Mobile. So you might have a chance with a T-Mobile based MVNO.
    However, TMO - just like everyone else - has now barred activation of any device that doesn't support VoLTE.

    Just like the others, this rule is retroactive to also affect all their mvnos.

    Sprint was the only carrier that allowed cdma only device activation, but thats all tmo now.

    Also the remaining gsm on tmo is also a lot less than a skeleton network and only exists in less than 10% of their overall coverage. It was being shutdown in stages before the entire project was put on hold.

    Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app
    Drako Swiftclaw

    Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,846
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bsammon View Post
    .......which is less than 2 years old, but (supposedly) not 4G-compatible.
    I'm curious too what phone you have that is less then 2 years old that doesn't have 4G or even VoLTE ??????

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,484
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bsammon View Post
    With some of the 2G and 3G networks to be around for another 6 months or a year still, are any of the MVNOs still willing to activate for 2G or 3G?
    The only way that will happen is if they work with a local, regional carrier that does not use roaming on any of the big 3 (At&t, T-mobile, Verizon). MVNO carriers don't own their own cellular network, they lease it.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    625
    Feedback Score
    0
    TMobile and all TMobile MVNOs support 2g and did not announce yet 2g sunset date yet. You cannot activate new sim on non-volte phone, but already activated sim will work.

    Sent from my DE2118 using HoFo mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    20,484
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    TMobile and all TMobile MVNOs support 2g and did not announce yet 2g sunset date yet. You cannot activate new sim on non-volte phone, but already activated sim will work.

    Sent from my DE2118 using HoFo mobile app
    This article seems to say differently: https://www.tmonews.com/2021/09/t-mo...hutdown-dates/

    According to the article:

    With this information, the new shutdown dates are:

    T-Mobile 3G UMTS: July 1, 2022
    T-Mobile 2G GSM: December 2022
    Sprint 2G/3G CDMA: January 1, 2022
    Sprint LTE/5G: June 30, 2022
    This article from a different source also confirms these dates: https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mo...-date_id134159

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bsammon View Post
    which is less than 2 years old, but (supposedly) not 4G-compatible.
    I'm curious too what phone you have that is less then 2 years old that doesn't have 4G or even VoLTE ??????
    I have a Sonim XP3 (link to my thread about it), I'm pretty sure it does have 4G and VoLTE, but it has Sprint firmware, and apparently T-Mobile is taking a cue from AT&T and playing compatibility-list shenanigans.

    Part of my reason for wanting to sqeeze a few months out on 2G/3G is the (quixotic, maybe) hope that Sonim will address this with a firmware update or negotiations with T-Mobile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    TMobile and all TMobile MVNOs support 2g and did not announce yet 2g sunset date yet. You cannot activate new sim on non-volte phone, but already activated sim will work.
    While this sounds like I should be able to activate a SIM on a VoLTE phone tomorrow, and then move it to a 2G phone, I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant, or whether that would work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,547
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    This article seems to say differently: https://www.tmonews.com/2021/09/t-mo...hutdown-dates/

    According to the article:



    This article from a different source also confirms these dates: https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mo...-date_id134159
    From this page, they did not talk about a date for 2G yet: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...work-evolution

    All it says is:
    We’ve also shared that we plan to retire T-Mobile’s older GSM 2G network as well, but no date has been set. We will update this page with any additional information in the future.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-10-2020, 01:34 PM
  2. Replies: 96
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM
  3. Twitvid hack for 2G/3G w/ Cycorder?
    By argon in forum iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
  4. Sell 2G iphone for the 3G iphone?
    By dre99gsx in forum Apple
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
  5. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 03:28 AM

Bookmarks