Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to activate Tracfone bundled with service with transfer from old phone

Feedback Score

How to activate Tracfone bundled with service with transfer from old phone

I bought a new LG K31 rebel bundled with service and need to transfer service from old phone (LG classic flip) to it. Both are TF Verizon.

1. Can I do this using the automatic transfer on the website since it involves a bundle (bought from Tfone eBay store)?

2. Do I have to call CS to get this done (no mention of chat on inclosed instruction card)?

3. If I use chat I know to ask for balances at the start. Do I need to mention that the new phone is supposed to include 1500/1500/1500/1 year? Do I ask for the balance after the transfer is finished (or at the end of the chat)? How can I make sure the minutes from the bundle are there.

I don't know if having bundled time makes any difference in transferring to a new phone.

I know this has probably been asked a lot but I must not know how to search since I couldn't find the info. I don't want to mess this up and really dread communicating with Tfone! Thank you all for being here for old ignorant people like me.

Feedback Score
    1) you can do it via the automated process, or Chat, or phone call. This is one of the safest things to do via automated (Phone transfer within the same network), but I still prefer to use Chat if I have much accumulated service.

2) No, you don't have to-- but you might want to for safety/insurance.

3) No point in mentioning the bundled service: at best, the agent would be able to tell 'something' bundled is there, but not the exact amounts until it's activated. If it's loaded on the SIM, it will show up. If you do it via Chat, you can ask for the balances after the transfer.

The process is exactly the same for a bundle as it is for an empty phone.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much. That makes me feel a little better about trying to deal with tracfone!

Feedback Score
    I realize that my reply to question 2) was poorly phrased.

I should have said you don't have to call, and Chat is an available route. Personally, I think transferring phones via a phone call is the most risky of the 3 routes (automated, phone call, Chat), since it increases the chances of failure. (You have to read the numbers to the agent, the agent has to understand you, the agent has to enter the numbers. It's Chat that offers you the most protection against something not working right, and less chance of a communication error.

I know that some very experienced users recommend adding the new device to your online account as an additional device, without activating it, as the initial step. This lets you carefully enter the IMEI without pressure or language barrier. Then, when you're ready to actually make the transfer by activating the new phone, the system (and the Customer Service agent) can see the new IMEI in your account instead of having to start from scratch. Adding the new phone to your online account without activating it still won't let you see the pre-loaded service time until it's activated.

Feedback Score
    You can do it online, by chat, or phone call as an activation with transfer from an existing line. I have done it by chat for a bundle phone. I have done it online for a BYO phone/SIM. Chat is the safest way to do it. I do everything I can to avoid voice calls to TF. I did not follow the instructions on the red card. I just did it by going to tracfone.com.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    How good is the LG Rebel K31? At 59.99 on eBay's TF store with a years service it seems pretty cheap. Would TRACFONE20 code work for 20% off?

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I went ahead and bought the K31 bundle. The TRACFONE20 code took 12.00 off and with tax the total amount was 52.00 (free shipping, UPS 2nd day air). That's for anyone who wants a TF with airtime bundle.

I plan on activating it with transfer from my existing account that expires in December. If I don't like the phone, I can transfer back to my e6.

If I activate with transfer from my existing account (3000+ minutes, 3000 txts, 4+ gb data), I am assuming I should be able to unlock the K31 in a year.

I don't expect the K31 to be as good as my e6 (prefer Moto phones) but at least hope it is functionally sound.

I don't get as good of Verizon service here but didn't want to lose my minutes. The bundle was the best way to renew.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Haven`t heard anyone bragging about their K31. Let us have your opinion... to help those who might be considering it.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Haven`t heard anyone bragging about their K31. Let us have your opinion... to help those who might be considering it.
    I got one with reward poinsts and gave it to a friend in June. It's an upgrade from her TF ZTE phone, so she's happy with it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I've been looking at reviews and they're pretty divided. Some hate it, others are satisfied.

I like my LG phones but this one was probably aimed at the budget market, so I expect it to be sort of underwhelming. Still, it has 32gb memory. If they really wanted to go cheap out they might have just put 16gb not 32gb. It's 5.7" display and so it's smaller than some newer phones, for people who don't need a phablet.

I just hope I can use it for the year until unlock time. I'm not a super heavy talker. I do a little texting. Mostly I use WiFi in lieu of data. And I use Google Voice. That's why these eBay bundles work for me.

The shipping estimate is Nov 18--23, but with potential delays it could take a little longer. I figure since I ordered on Friday, it won't ship til Mon-Tues.

After I get it, I'll give my impression.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I'm the OP. I got the k31 Rebel activated today and everything went fine thanks to the answers to my questions. Many thanks!
    I don't really like the phone since I've never used an Android phone. I'm used to a home button, not all the swiping. It's for my SO who is used to a flip phone so we will see.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DougEll View Post
    I don't really like the phone since I've never used an Android phone. I'm used to a home button, not all the swiping. It's for my SO who is used to a flip phone so we will see.
    On Android phones, the middle of the "virtual buttons" on the bottom row is the Home key. The arrow pointing left is the "Go Back" key. When you're in an app and keep hitting the Go Back key, eventuall it'll get back to the Home screen and close the app. If you're in an app and touch the Home key, it'll bring you to the Home screen but leaves the app running in the background (in case you want to run multiple apps concurrently).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    On Android phones, the middle of the "virtual buttons" on the bottom row is the Home key. The arrow pointing left is the "Go Back" key. When you're in an app and keep hitting the Go Back key, eventuall it'll get back to the Home screen and close the app. If you're in an app and touch the Home key, it'll bring you to the Home screen but leaves the app running in the background (in case you want to run multiple apps concurrently).
    Does the LG Rebel K31 have the option of the virtual home and back keys? Or just the "swipe" option? If just the swipe option, there may be Google Play apps that offer virtual buttons. But I would think since it's Android, the K31 should have virtual buttons as an option in settings. Probably under Display or Home Screen.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I looked up YouTube reviews of the TF K31, and found one that showed it configured with the virtual home & back buttons on the bottom of the home screen. So, it's probably an option under settings to choose swipe or virtual buttons.

I couldn't find the option under the TF tutorial for the K31. That doesn't mean it's not available if the YouTube review showed the buttons.

I feel more comfortable using the buttons and that's what I intend to choose when I set up mine.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thank you sooo much! I don't know how I did it but.I now have virtual buttons on the Rebel. This is going to make jt more like I'm used to.

I backtracked and here's how to get the buttons. Settings-Display-Navigation bar (third option from top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast