Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US Mobile sim card compatibility Volte supported general confusion

Feedback Score

US Mobile sim card compatibility Volte supported general confusion

I need help. I'm trying to set up a talk/text only phone for my 11 year old. I bought a sim card kit from US Mobile and set up an account on the (white sim) gsm LTE network, thinking it would work with a cheapo BluZ5 phone I purchased on Amazon. That didn't work, was told by US Mobile not compatible. Then I took the sim cards to a local cell phone shop in Los Angeles where they had an Alcatel flip phone for sale. Put the sim card in the Alcatel but it didn't pick up the US Mobile signal. I called US Mobile and they said that the phone has to be Volte supported (voice over LTE). I'm so confused now trying to find an affordable flip phone or other dummy phone that will work with US Mobile who advertise as being good in any GSM phone. Any suggestions? Should I switch to a different prepaid service? What's an easy quick fix cause I'm sick of spending so much time running around. I only need text/talk so I thought I could get away with paying $10 or less per month with no data.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    phonescoop dot com pick phone finder on the left & expand to all options. Select your options then press search.
    Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/36csHv, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible.
    When you use my friend code, 36csHv, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5!

Join my Party Pay Group 38,147 members (no information is shared with other members)
    https://visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote & never pay more than $25 a month.

Visible $25/mo
    Liberty 09.06.2022
    TMo 01.05.22
    Truphone 01.18.22

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    For cheap talk/text get a Tracfone flip. Put it on Page Plus. $10, lasts 120 days. 6c/min, text or megabyte.
    Just to make sure, write down the IMEI on the package. Go to PP's BYOD website, enter IMEI. May take it without buying a PP SIM or buy PP for 99c. Verizon network.
    Next best is H2O. 5c/min/text, 10c/megabyte. $10 lasts 90 days. ATT GO phones will work with H2O SIM. $1 @ Best Buy, Target
    I have used Tello for 2 years, 100 min, 500 mb, unlim. texts $6/ mo. $2 for SIM on Amazon. PM me for a coupon code.

I have played with a couple of US Mobile SIMs with mixed results. Mint seems to pop in and work easily in GSM phones.
    Phones older than 2017 will be problematic to work on any carrier now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    phonescoop dot com pick phone finder on the left & expand to all options. Select your options then press search.
    That seemed promising but I couldn't find any option to search for US Mobile or Volte

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    For cheap talk/text get a Tracfone flip. Put it on Page Plus. $10, lasts 120 days. 6c/min, text or megabyte.
    Just to make sure, write down the IMEI on the package. Go to PP's BYOD website, enter IMEI. May take it without buying a PP SIM or buy PP for 99c. Verizon network.
    Next best is H2O. 5c/min/text, 10c/megabyte. $10 lasts 90 days. ATT GO phones will work with H2O SIM. $1 @ Best Buy, Target
    I have used Tello for 2 years, 100 min, 500 mb, unlim. texts $6/ mo. $2 for SIM on Amazon. PM me for a coupon code.

I have played with a couple of US Mobile SIMs with mixed results. Mint seems to pop in and work easily in GSM phones.
    Phones older than 2017 will be problematic to work on any carrier now.
    Would I need to find an unlocked Tracfone flip to do Page Plus? Originally I was going to do Tello with zero data plan cause it seemed so cheap but finding compatible phones is hanging me up.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    Would I need to find an unlocked Tracfone flip to do Page Plus?
    You can rebrand a Tracfone branded phone to PagePlus because PagePlus is owned by Tracfone. You can even do it with a lots of the other Tracfone brands. The easiest to rebranded is Verizon based Tracfone phones.

Feedback Score
    Why this crap so complicated?

Feedback Score
    People have had success with an unlocked Doro phone, at least on Tracfone. They are originally Consumer Cellular but have been "unlocked" for general GSM use. They are modern LTE unlike the BluZ5 which is old. There are unlocked Doros on eBay.

Feedback Score
    Would I need to find an unlocked Tracfone flip to do Page Plus?
    Just pickup a TF Flip at any big box ($20-$40). Activate it right out of the box with the sim that comes in it. PayGo plan as mentioned above. Different denominations that charge off at 6c/min, text or mb. Each good for 120 days and unused $ carry over when you renew. You don't even have to mention rebranding. PagePlus is on the Verizon network, so as long as Vzw is good in your area easy peasy done.
    You don't need a PP sim or phone. PP=Tracfone. Since you're not porting and it's a new activation, you can just go to the PP website https://www.pagepluscellular.com/ and activate it without any CSR interaction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just pickup a TF Flip at any big box. Activate it right out of the box with the sim that comes in it. PayGo plan as mentioned above. Different denominations that charge off at 6c/min, text or mb. Each good for 120 days and unused $ carry over when you renew. You don't even have to mention rebranding. PagePlus is on the Verizon network, so as long as Vzw is good in your area easy peasy done.
    You don't need a PP sim or phone. PP=Tracfone.
    Thank you. This sounds straightforward.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. This sounds straightforward.
    Check my edited reply above for the PP website and activation.

Feedback Score
    Just pickup a TF Flip at any big box ($20-$40). Activate it right out of the box with the sim that comes in it. PayGo plan as mentioned above. Different denominations that charge off at 6c/min, text or mb. Each good for 120 days and unused $ carry over when you renew. You don't even have to mention rebranding. PagePlus is on the Verizon network, so as long as Vzw is good in your area easy peasy done.
    You don't need a PP sim or phone. PP=Tracfone. Since you're not porting and it's a new activation, you can just go to the PP website https://www.pagepluscellular.com/ and activate it without any CSR interaction.
    So it doesn't matter if it's Alcatel or LG or whatever. ANY Tracfone Flip will do? I'm seeing them at Target, Walmart and Bestbuy

Feedback Score
    So it doesn't matter if it's Alcatel or LG or whatever. ANY Tracfone Flip will do? I'm seeing them at Target, Walmart and Bestbuy
    Yes, any model. The model number will/should end in DL. The LG Classic Flip has gotten good reviews. There will be the red verizon map on the box.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    If you decide to go this route, think about Page Plus $12 monthly plan instead of the paygo. Kids may not talk much, but they sure do text... Maybe it's just for family usage now, but trust me, that won't last long...

Text messages are 5 cents each on the pay as you go plan, and outgoing group texts get multiplied by the number of other people on the thread (incoming just count as one text each). So if there are 4 people in a text conversation that spans 20 total messages and they each send 5 messages (and receive 15), I believe that will get charged as 30 text messages (5 outgoing x 3 other people, plus another 15 received, which is 30 messages). At 5 cents each, that conversation will cost $1.50. You may also have some small data charges for pictures sent/received and multi-person text threads are technically MMS (not standard text) so they also need a little bit of data.

The $12 plan includes 500 minutes and 500 text messages, and also includes 100MB of data which is necessary for sending/receiving picture messages and the data transport for the MMS threads.

If you think the 500 messages won't be enough (remember my comment about about multiple charges for outgoing group chats), then you want a plan that includes unlimited messaging. Page Plus isn't the right choice for that as their cheapest plan with unlimited texting is $29.95/month, whereas US Mobile offers unlimited talk/text. It might be worth finding an unlocked VoLTE capable handset that works on Verizon or T-Mobile MVNOs in this case, since US Mobile offers either network (depending on which of the 2 SIMs you use).

Carrier(s)
    back on PagePlus after a long hiatus
    Feedback Score
    Why this crap so complicated?
    I agree that it's confusing and if you go to a cellphone store they will try to sell you the newest, fastest, shiniest and most expensive phone and plan available. But you've come to the right place for answers.

I agree with the above suggestions to use the PagePlus $10/month plan. For me it comes to $12.39/month with taxes and fees on auto-pay.

As long at your Alcatel flip phone is Tracfone like this one ...

Name:  myflip2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  40.5 KB

... you should be able to activate it on PagePlus. If you want to avoid any possible confusion using a Tracfone SIM card, just invest 99¢ in a genuine PagePlus SIM card purchased on the PagePlus website. But if memory serves me, last time I did that they sent me a Tracfone SIM card.
    I'll give up my iPhone SE 2016 when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. (And in fact the original iPhone SE is much smaller so my cold, dead fingers will be much harder to pry from it than with a larger phone.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast