Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking Tracfone Samsung A51 (S515DL)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

Unlocking Tracfone Samsung A51 (S515DL)

Are there unlocking services for the Tracfone Samsung A51 (S515DL)?

I already paid for a full year of Tracfone service, but I may want to take the phone to another country and use a prepaid SIM.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post

I already paid for a full year of Tracfone service, but I may want to take the phone to another country and use a prepaid SIM.
    The lock on TF-branded phones are tough to crack and I don't know of any ebay sellers that offer unlock service for them.

Besides paying for a full year of service, you have to actually use the phone with its original SIM for at least 360 days before TF will unlock it.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I see advertisements on HoFo for Tracfone unlocking but I don't know if they are legitimate, i.e. https://howardforums.com/showthread....ia-USB-INSTANT

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    That post is over a year old, you might try contacting the poster of that post and see if they're still in service.

Feedback Score
    Search eBay under "Tracfone unlock service". There are a handful of people who have been offering unlocks for Tracfone Samsung devices. The way they do this is by having you connect your phone to your computer, and then you give remote admin privileges to the programmer/hacker who connects to your computer to unlock your phone. I have no experience with this type of unlock service, I just know that it is a thing that some people have successfully used. The big downside to this is that you are handing your computer over to a complete stranger for a period of time.

Feedback Score
    There have been unlocking operations in other countries where they thought they were safe, but Tracfone always sues and gets them shut down. I think one was recently. I don't know if Tracfones are necessarily harder to unlock than other phones. I sold two older Motos on eBay. They were both scooped up by foreign-seeming buyers by name and registered country, although a domestic shipping address. I had to pay an extra fee for them being registered out of the country, even though the transaction was totally here. I thought that was unfair. eBay told me too bad. Anyway, I have the feeling that these phones were destined for unlocking overseas along with a bunch of others.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2, SE 1, iPhone 6S, Samsung Luna Pro
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Maybe you can try calling the Tracfone unlocking department and see if there are any options based on what you've already paid etc.

I've called in the past and they offered to unlock my phone earlier for a fee. I decided to just wait since there was no hurry.

1-888-442-5102

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Maybe you can try calling the Tracfone unlocking department and see if there are any options based on what you've already paid etc.

I've called in the past and they offered to unlock my phone earlier for a fee. I decided to just wait since there was no hurry.
    I think TF charges $120 (or $150) to unlock a phone before 360 days of service. Not worth the cost.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think TF charges $120 (or $150) to unlock a phone before 360 days of service. Not worth the cost.
    Maybe for you and me. Some folks may be more willing to do so if they can easily afford it for the convenience to use the phone internationally without having to wait longer.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably depends as well on how many months you've already completed in terms of time served. My fee was much less than that.
    But I had one or two months left to go. I was merely enquiring about how much longer would it take to unlock and then they made the offer. Probably doesn't hurt to ask. Well, hopefully....

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

A reminder that transferred airtime does not count toward unlocking your Tracfone. The airtime must have been added to the actual phone you plan to unlock. Bundled airtime does count.

Feedback Score
    Rumor is that it is $10-$20 per month of remaining service till the 12 month mark. It actually seems reasonable on certain phones where TracFone actually offers that much of a discount off the unlocked version of the same phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    Search eBay under "Tracfone unlock service". There are a handful of people who have been offering unlocks for Tracfone Samsung devices. The way they do this is by having you connect your phone to your computer, and then you give remote admin privileges to the programmer/hacker who connects to your computer to unlock your phone. I have no experience with this type of unlock service, I just know that it is a thing that some people have successfully used. The big downside to this is that you are handing your computer over to a complete stranger for a period of time.
    I have some old Windows computers with nothing of any importance on them so I would be willing to do this. But I may just wait a year. I have other unlocked phones to use for international travel.

I would not pay a huge amount to unlock a very inexpensive ($90) phone. Some of the unlocking services are asking big bucks. One is $55, one is $80. I'm thinking $25-30 is fair.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    Rumor is that it is $10-$20 per month of remaining service till the 12 month mark. It actually seems reasonable on certain phones where TracFone actually offers that much of a discount off the unlocked version of the same phone.
    I called the unlocking department a couple weeks ago and they openly gave me the proration on unlock:

Android - $150, minus $12.50 for every month of service
    iPhone - $300, minus $25 for every month of service

If you only have a couple months left, paying early is well worth it if you just want to move to another carrier and be done with TracFone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Pixel 2 XL
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    I called the unlocking department a couple weeks ago and they openly gave me the proration on unlock:

Android - $150, minus $12.50 for every month of service
    iPhone - $300, minus $25 for every month of service

If you only have a couple months left, paying early is well worth it if you just want to move to another carrier and be done with TracFone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

That sounds right. They offered to unlock an iPhone for me for I think it was $25 with a month to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast