Thread: Convert RedPocket Sim to eSim?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score

Convert RedPocket Sim to eSim?

I just noticed that the iPhone allows you to convert a physical sim to an eSim, see link below, would this work with a RP sim? Does the pixel have the same functionitaly?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210655

Thanks for any info offered

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessknight View Post
    I just noticed that the iPhone allows you to convert a physical sim to an eSim, see link below, would this work with a RP sim? Does the pixel have the same functionitaly?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210655

Thanks for any info offered
    I don’t think it works with all providers as I just looked at cricket and I don’t see the option.

Carrier(s)
    back on PagePlus after a long hiatus
    Feedback Score
    What would be the advantage of converting a physical SIM and an eSIM?
    I'll give up my iPhone SE 2016 when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. (And in fact the original iPhone SE is much smaller so my cold, dead fingers will be much harder to pry from it than with a larger phone.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    What would be the advantage of converting a physical SIM and an eSIM?
    The advantage: Both iPhones and Pixels have 1 physical SIM slot, and a second eSIM. Some folks like the idea of having 2 SIMs available on the same device, but normally only 1 can be a physical SIM-- and there are very few MVNO providers that offer eSIM.

So the conversion might allow using 2 different SIMs that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Carrier(s)
    back on PagePlus after a long hiatus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    The advantage: Both iPhones and Pixels have 1 physical SIM slot, and a second eSIM. Some folks like the idea of having 2 SIMs available on the same device, but normally only 1 can be a physical SIM-- and there are very few MVNO providers that offer eSIM.

So the conversion might allow using 2 different SIMs that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    Thanks greenhandle. Not to hijack the thread, but my wife helped a guy clear out his house and gave her his old Pixel XL. I powered it up, installed and uninstalled my Google account and it appears to be working although I haven't yet inserted a SIM card. Would this older Pixel XL be e-SIM compatible?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post

This. I need dual sim. Right now I have a Oneplus 6T Mclaren but would like either an iPhone or Pixel 6.

Feedback Score
    eSIM started with the Pixel 2 line, but for Fi only.

Pixel 3 and newer have regular eSIM capabilities.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, iPhone 5S, N5, HTC Incredible 2, Eris GB, Ozone , Moto Q9c, V750, K1m/V3m, E815
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile 4G LTE, AT&T, China Mobile HK
    Feedback Score
    RedPocket/FreedomPop premium, like most MNVO - do not support eSIM. Pixel/XL (OG - Gen I) does not support eSim and has been EOL - although I still own one with WiFi, for the unlimited Goo Photos upload.

Mint Mobile (native on T-Mobile's 5G/4G networks) supports eSim and I have that on my Pixel 3aXL - it frees up the physical nano sim slot for travel as a dual-sim, popping in spouse's Google Fi data only sim for travel abroad.

My backup iPhone SE 2020 supports eSim and I have another Mint line on it, like the Pixel 3aXL ... it just works, with a little configuration during the initial setup to select the lines as primary, secondary, data, etc. It should be a piece of cake for the average HoFo users to figure it out, not rocket science. Nice to be able to exchange/swap out for an AT&T or VZ prepaid sim for short term use if tower coverage nearby can be an issue.

Waiting for spouse's Samsung Galaxy S21 to get Android 12 update, as it will then support eSim (already 5G enabled, but ... )
    4G LTE & Unl. Text, Opera Mini/Skype w. WM6.5 & WiFi access, Goggle Mobile Maps/GPS. On the Job: UHF 5W Duplex HT DTMF-PL repeater (backup: 800Mhz Motorola & Nextel portables) - private 900Mhz alpha-numeric paging net for 24/7/365 Incident Command - Is your "Go" Kit ready? Mass Transit Tips: "If you see something, say something - Call 911 !"

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunmui View Post
    RedPocket/FreedomPop premium, like most MNVO - do not support eSIM. Pixel/XL (OG - Gen I) does not support eSim and has been EOL - although I still own one with WiFi, for the unlimited Goo Photos upload.

Mint Mobile (native on T-Mobile's 5G/4G networks) supports eSim and I have that on my Pixel 3aXL - it frees up the physical nano sim slot for travel as a dual-sim, popping in spouse's Google Fi data only sim for travel abroad.

My backup iPhone SE 2020 supports eSim and I have another Mint line on it, like the Pixel 3aXL ... it just works, with a little configuration during the initial setup to select the lines as primary, secondary, data, etc. It should be a piece of cake for the average HoFo users to figure it out, not rocket science. Nice to be able to exchange/swap out for an AT&T or VZ prepaid sim for short term use if tower coverage nearby can be an issue.

Waiting for spouse's Samsung Galaxy S21 to get Android 12 update, as it will then support eSim (already 5G enabled, but ... )
    If I were to buy a used Pixel would I still get the unlimited photo storage?

Feedback Score
    If I were to buy a used Pixel would I still get the unlimited photo storage?
    Yes, if it's a Pixel 5 or older.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yes, if it's a Pixel 5 or older.
    Even if the photos are uploaded from a different device?

Feedback Score
    Even if the photos are uploaded from a different device?
    No........