Thread: TF Alcatel Zip A576BL GSM/AT&T Phone Questions

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

TF Alcatel Zip A576BL GSM/AT&T Phone Questions

I had this phone as my main TF for awhile at least 2 years ago, and it's a basic smartphone. It has an AT&T APN. I've been unable to find any indication it's VoLTE capable under settings.

I was wondering if anyone out there still uses this phone on TF and if it's VoLTE capable.

I realize AT&T based TF SIMs can't be reactivated, but is the SIM just an AT&T SIM? I have newer unactivated nano SIMs from other AT&T phones. Could I use one of those to activate the Zip on TF?

My concern is that if it's not VoLTE capable it'll be kicked off the network.

What I'm wanting to do is transfer the service from my current VZ based TF to one that'll do AT&T or T-Mobile so I can get a better signal here. Very likely I'll have to buy an unlocked phone and activate it as a TF BYOD or leave TF for an AT&T or T-Mo based MVNO.

My other GSM TF is a ZTE I got from SafeLink a couple of years ago. It hasn't been active in a long time. I think it's a ZfiveG.

If I activate an unlocked phone as a TF BYOD, would it be possible to transfer the airtime from my current VZ based Moto e6 TF to the AT&T based BYOD phone? Could I activate the BYOD with the airtime from the current TF as well as the phone# ?

Thanks.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Check the AT&T whitelist. If the phone isn't on it, won't work after 3G shutdown.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...of94IKpnuRg_4d

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I had this phone as my main TF for awhile at least 2 years ago, and it's a basic smartphone. It has an AT&T APN. I've been unable to find any indication it's VoLTE capable under settings.
    No phone will show VoLTE in Settings. You can dial *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden INFO menu in some phones. Will list voice type and data type.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    No phone will show VoLTE in Settings. You can dial *#*#4636#*#* for the hidden INFO menu in some phones. Will list voice type and data type.
    Not exactly true. I have 3 different phones that have VoLTE toggles in Network Settings. You are correct that the Service Menu lists voice/data type but, it also shows whether VoLTE and WiFi calling are provisioned.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    No phone will show VoLTE in Settings.
    My unlocked Pixel 4a and TF-branded Moto G Power (2020) show VoLTE in Settings.

Name:  Pixel-4a-Call-Settings.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  Moto-G-Power-Call-Settings.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  24.2 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Check the AT&T whitelist. If the phone isn't on it, won't work after 3G shutdown.

Thanks, I checked the list and the Alcatel Zip isn't on there. Too bad.

Some of my other phones are:
    Alcatel 4052R SmartFlip
    LG Phoenix 2 (K371)
    LG Neon Plus (LM-X320AM8)(also listed with Arena 2 LM-X320APM which I don't have but since it's listed with mine it must be similar. My Plus 2 is 32gb)
    Alcatel Ideal 4060a (amazing, it's old, a 4.5" smartphone but it does VoLTE)

And another LG on their list that I got from TracFone's eBay store, LG Solo LTE L423DL.

I got my Phoenix 2 unlocked and also my Alcatel Ideal. Both of those were used briefly on AT&T and H20.

The battery on the Ideal runs down fast but for someone who likes a small phone it might be ok, but it's 8gb memory so can't install many apps. I think mine runs on Android 5.0. If I ever use mine again it'll be on a low volume use plan like H20 $10/90 day.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the hidden menu code.

Some of my phones have VoLTE under network or call settings as a slide switch option. Not all of them though.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post

I couldn't find the LG Rebel K31 on the whitelist either (just ordered the TF eBay bundle), but if I go to the LG page that features the phone and download the spec sheet, it shows the many bands & capabilities of the K31. It looks to me like it should work fine on AT&T if unlocked.

Link to LG page:
    https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg...fone-k31-rebel

The connectivity specs from the datasheet:

3G, 4G, 4G LTE Network1
    • Technology: CDMA, WCDMA, GSM, UMTS, LTE
    • Frequencies: LTE Bands 2/4/5/12/13/25/26/41(HPUE)/66/71;
    GSM Bands (MHz) 850/900/1800/1900
    • Network: CDMA, GSM, LTE, LTE CA
    • Wi-Fi
    Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n
    • Bluetooth
    Wireless Technology Version 5.0
    • USB2
    and Bluetooth Tethering3
    – share your phone’s Internet connection with your computer
    • Supported Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, DI, GATT, GAVDP, GOEP, HFP, HID, HSP, MAP, OPP,
    PAN, PBAP, SPP, and ScPP
    • Advanced Calling Features: Wi-Fi Calling, HD Voice
    • Wi-Fi Direct
    – connect directly to devices via Wi-Fi
    • Media Sync (MTP) – transfer files or synchronize with Windows
    Media Player2
    • MIDI Device – connect to compatible musical instruments via USB2
    • S-GPS and A-GPS for Enhanced Location Accuracy
    • Mobile Hotspot – share a 4G LTE data connection with up to 10 compatible wireless devices3
    1 4G LTE not available everywhere. 2 USB cable required (included). 3 Depends on network availability. Carrier service required. Features based on carrier program availability. Product features subject to change. Additional charges may apply.

Screenshot of the data sheet provided. Name:  Screenshot_k31specs.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  40.8 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I couldn't find the LG Rebel K31 on the whitelist either (just ordered the TF eBay bundle), but if I go to the LG page that features the phone and download the spec sheet, it shows the many bands & capabilities of the K31. It looks to me like it should work fine on AT&T if unlocked.
    Specs don't matter. If it's not on the list it's not supported locked or unlocked. That's the issue allot are having. Their phones are totally capable band wise, VoLTE, etc., but they're not on the list. I'd guess the cut off will be extended and/or the list will change.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Specs don't matter. If it's not on the list it's not supported locked or unlocked. That's the issue allot are having. Their phones are totally capable band wise, VoLTE, etc., but they're not on the list. I'd guess the cut off will be extended and/or the list will change.
    Totally crazy. Why would AT&T not include phones on the list that are entirely capable. It may force people to leave for another service, particularly those who have unlocked phones that can do T-Mo or VZ. I used to like AT&T because it was easy to swap phones by moving the SIM. Now they're confusing.