Thread: What happens when they drop 3G

Feedback Score

What happens when they drop 3G

I have a LG G7 Fit that doesn't have Volte, so it will be toast when they drop 3G.
    When exactly is that going to happen?
    Will my data continue to work afterwards? How about messaging?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It will still allow access to a WiFi connection, just not a cellular one. Short of VOIP, no cellular voice, data, SMS, MMS. There are only estimated end dates for 3G, it could be extended.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    It will still allow access to a WiFi connection, just not a cellular one. Short of VOIP, no cellular voice, data, SMS, MMS. There are only estimated end dates for 3G, it could be extended.
    Since it’s end of life isn’t 3G equipment also not being repaired. Meaning tomorrow if your tower has an issue with its 3G equipment and it breaks then it will not be repaired/replaced. I recommend getting a VoLTE device.

I know that is what Verizon is doing but I’m not positive about AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    I plan on getting new phones, but am waiting for a great deal on a decent phone. So far nothing. I also have an old LG G5 that has Volte, but that is it's only virtue. If I get caught short I can give it to my wife and I can live without a phone for a few days; data would have been nice though.

So when is the rumored cut off? Last I heard it was 2/1/22.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post
    I plan on getting new phones, but am waiting for a great deal on a decent phone. So far nothing. I also have an old LG G5 that has Volte, but that is it's only virtue. If I get caught short I can give it to my wife and I can live without a phone for a few days; data would have been nice though.

February 2022 is as precise as it gets officially. A petition to extend the 3G sunset was filed in Sep 2021 with FCC. Don’t expect an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tollerphone View Post

I recommend waiting until Black Friday and getting either an iPhone 13 series or the Galaxy ZFlip 3. Personally I can’t say enough good things about the iPhone 13 Pro Max specifically — even the Android guys are impressed by it when they try one because it has the longest battery life, fastest processor, and best-rated screen of any phone currently sold, as well as (if I remember correctly) the second-best camera (I think the #1 is some obscure, dedicated camera Android phone). It also has the best RF performance of any iPhone and specifically better millimeter wave performance than any Android phone; I’ve never once seen “No Service” on mine, even when deep inside a building where my iPhone 12 Pro Max struggled to hold a signal and older iPhones couldn’t acquire a signal at all.

I do wish the iPhones had Wi-Fi 6E, but the reviews I’ve seen of Wi-Fi 6E equipped Android devices have found that they only perform better than regular Wi-Fi 6 when in the same room as the router and when the hardwired Internet speed is at least a gigabit per second, so I’m guessing Apple delayed 6E to improve its range. They have a penchant for preferring fully-baked features even if that means a slower time to market.

As for software, basically the only thing I’d do if Apple opened up sideloading is install a game emulator so I can play old games on my phone. I don’t feel like I’m missing much. Really, the lack of sideloading only feels limiting on iPads because their screens are big enough to support software development. Let me code on my iPad, Apple!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    I recommend waiting until Black Friday and getting either an iPhone 13 series or the Galaxy ZFlip 3. Personally I can’t say enough good things about the iPhone 13 Pro Max specifically — even the Android guys are impressed by it when they try one because it has the longest battery life, fastest processor, and best-rated screen of any phone currently sold, as well as (if I remember correctly) the second-best camera (I think the #1 is some obscure, dedicated camera Android phone). It also has the best RF performance of any iPhone and specifically better millimeter wave performance than any Android phone; I’ve never once seen “No Service” on mine, even when deep inside a building where my iPhone 12 Pro Max struggled to hold a signal and older iPhones couldn’t acquire a signal at all.

I do wish the iPhones had Wi-Fi 6E, but the reviews I’ve seen of Wi-Fi 6E equipped Android devices have found that they only perform better than regular Wi-Fi 6 when in the same room as the router and when the hardwired Internet speed is at least a gigabit per second, so I’m guessing Apple delayed 6E to improve its range. They have a penchant for preferring fully-baked features even if that means a slower time to market.

As for software, basically the only thing I’d do if Apple opened up sideloading is install a game emulator so I can play old games on my phone. I don’t feel like I’m missing much. Really, the lack of sideloading only feels limiting on iPads because their screens are big enough to support software development. Let me code on my iPad, Apple!
    Some of us do use some apps that are just for Android

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    Some of us do use some apps that are just for Android
    Then it’s a good thing I neither said otherwise nor addressed you.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Reminder to all. Please keep this thread civil.