Thread: Int値 Data Roaming - Cellular Watch

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone X, OnePlus Nord N10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Int値 Data Roaming - Cellular Watch

Should international cellular calling work on T-Mo on a cellular-enabled watch (e.g., Series 6 Apple Watch) that has an international data roaming plan?

International calling on my iPhone and watch work fine with my paired iPhone X ON, but NOT when the iPhone is OFF (or I am far away from the iPhone).

Background
    - Sprint legacy customer with TNX SIM
    - iPhone X with iOS 15.1 with unlimited everything Freedom plan with international roaming
    - Apple Watch Series 6 cellular with WatchOS 8.1 enabled with unlimited data plan and international roaming
    - I prefer not to have my iPhone every place I go while outside US.

T-Mo/Sprint are having quite a time figuring it out. No resolution yet.

I openly wonder if cellular watch with international roaming works for native T-Mo customers but not for legacy Sprint customers.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Opinions welcome but the answer would be wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think that international roaming isn't provisioned on the watch properly. If not, it will only work when the watch pairs with the phone via a Bluetooth or Wifi connection. Does the watch have a dedicated phone # or are you sharing the same phone # with the phone?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I think that international roaming isn't provisioned on the watch properly. If not, it will only work when the watch pairs with the phone via a Bluetooth or Wifi connection. Does the watch have a dedicated phone # or are you sharing the same phone # with the phone?
    The watch has its own phone number. However, the standard practice in US is that my iPhone number automatically [rolls] to my Apple Watch when my iPhone is off. [Rolls] is my non-technical term.

Right now, I am curious if the cellular Apple Watch should be receiving and making calls while abroad (e.g., MX) where there is excellent Telmex service on my iPhone and my Android (as an aside/backup).

T-Mo support keeps asking me if my watch is set up as a stand-alone or companion. I have no clue and I would expect T-Mo would tell me.

What is weird is that my Apple Watch icon shows up as a generic smartphone even though my brother-in-law痴 Apple Watch (who is on my plan) displays an Apple Watch icon. I mentioned this multiple times to T-Mo support and they keep saying the icon does not matter. I have verified the IMEI, phone number, et al multiple times.

Since March 2021, the watch has been factory re-set and re-paired multiple times - even as new. I think there is an on-going provisioning issue, but I have lost count of the number of re-provisionings it has gone through.

In Feb/Mar, T-Mo delayed migration to TNX for phones paired with Apple watches. Reportedly, re-provisioning takes at 48-72 hours during weekdays.

It is not a first world problem, but I would like to get it resolved before my next international trip.

Apologies for long-winded detail.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the watch has international *data* on but not international calls? I assumed the watches were data-only and relied on bluetooth or something like this to the phone for calls, I could see someone assuming that and putting some flag or other on the phone only instead of both phone and watch.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max, Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Note 20 Ultra 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Apple Watch does not support international roaming. While traveling abroad requires iPhone & watch to be within bluetooth range

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
    The Apple Watch does not support international roaming. While traveling abroad requires iPhone & watch to be within bluetooth range

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/
    Thanks, I just chatted with Apple.

They verified that my Apple Watch Series 6 with cellular service should be able to make and receive calls with my iPhone off in MX. I have the active cellular plan with T-Mo and international data roaming and I am using the supported MX carrier (TELCEL) per Apple.

Apple suggested that I follow up with T-Mo as it is possible the Apple Watch is blocked or the SIM/profile is not properly configured.

At least I have narrowed it down. Thanks all for the thoughts, links, and ideas.

Edit: Disregard reference to TELMEX in my post 3. My error

Last edited by gdrenick74; 11-14-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Thanks, I just chatted with Apple.

They verified that my Apple Watch Series 6 with cellular service should be able to make and receive calls with my iPhone off in MX. I have the active cellular plan with T-Mo and international data roaming and I am using the supported MX carrier per Apple.

Apple suggested that I follow up with T-Mo as it is possible the Apple Watch is blocked or the SIM/profile is not properly configured.

At least I have narrowed it down. Thanks all for the thoughts, links, and ideas.

The carrier that I am in is TELCEL in MX. My earlier post was incorrect.

Update: I just confirmed that TELCEL is on Apple痴 list of supported carriers in MX.

I would love to hear if any native T-Mo customer痴 Apple Watch successfully roams internationally in MX with the paired iPhone turned off (e.g.,TELCEL).

I am leaning towards it be an issue as a legacy Sprint customer. IDK.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's my understanding that Apple Watch cellular doesn't support roaming outside of your home carrier and definitely doesn't support international roaming. I've never got it to work while in Mexico: it only works while tethered to my iPhone but doesn't work for data and calls when the iPhone is off. I have a current T-Mobile Magenta plan if it makes any difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT and T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    It's my understanding that Apple Watch cellular doesn't support roaming outside of your home carrier and definitely doesn't support international roaming. I've never got it to work while in Mexico: it only works while tethered to my iPhone but doesn't work for data and calls when the iPhone is off. I have a current T-Mobile Magenta plan if it makes any difference.
    Thanks!

That seems to be consistent with T-Mo although for different reasons which don稚 make a lot of sense.

T-Mo said T-Mo does not support call-forwarding when the iPhone is available is off. That is a bit non-sensical to me.

The cellular Apple Watch does support int値 data roaming even with the iPhone off, subject to the two Apple Watch models. Apple supports Telcel in MX and T-Mo roams on Telcel for calls, text and data.

It appears though that T-Mo does not support international data roaming with the cellular Apple Watch.

Glad to know or confirm that it is true for native T-Mo customers and Magenta plan. I can stop barking up that tree for now.