Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What generation of wireless (to date) had the most complete blanket of coverage?

Feedback Score

What generation of wireless (to date) had the most complete blanket of coverage?

Was it 1X?
    EV-DO?
    4GLTE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score

What generation of wireless (to date) had the most complete blanket of coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Was it 1X?
    EV-DO?
    4GLTE?

Depends. When compared worldwide, GSM did.

Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Depends. When compared worldwide, GSM did.

I guess I should say, Continental US, barring satellite links, but traditionally CDMA or GSM carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone, OnePlus 8, iPhone 7 Plus (Car phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    I guess I should say, Continental US, barring satellite links, but traditionally CDMA or GSM carriers.

I’m no full expert on it. But experience says most likely CDMA most definitely at the start.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I believe the older Analog networks had the most blanket coverage. This was on much fewer cell sites around the country.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I believe the older Analog networks had the most blanket coverage. This was on much fewer cell sites around the country.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I agree with this.....The only problem with those older phones was that the battery was typically larger than the phone itself.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    My first phone was a Nokia 3310 on AT&T. It had a “D” icon for when I had digital service. When it wasn’t present, I could get static on my cell calls, just like a cordless phone in the house.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I remember the static in the analog era. You could also hear phone calls on a police scanner since they weren't encrypted.

While not the best in range I do remember Sprint PCS for its clarity. They were the first to have nationwide calling with no roaming charges.

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I traveled extensively in 2003 with a TDMA/Analog phone. Reception was seldom a problem, as every carrier still had a 1G Analog channel. I was charged double for roaming when out of the home area. It was still better than using pay phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    It was still better than using pay phones.
    And a heck of a lot more convenient since finding a finding a working or available pay phone even back then could be difficult.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    The only problem with those older phones was that the battery was typically larger than the phone itself.
    The whole back of my Nokia 5180 was an easily removable battery. I carried a spare if out for a while, as battery charge did not last long if you were calling. I don't think you could car charge those.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't remember my first cell phone model # but it was a Motorola analog, bag phone that I used with Alltel that I used in my car. It was not physically installed and I could carry it with me. I did have a car charger plug/adaptor attached to my phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    CDMA definitely was the best for coverage and call quality, VoLTE is very unreliable compared to 1x.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Analog by far. The old analog signals were quite forgiving, could travel very long distances, as long as you could receive some sort of signal, your phone would work, albeit sometimes with some static and occasional signal dropouts as the signal was very weak by that point. It was like the old days of analog TV, with "snow" or a wonky picture and/or sound on occasion, sometimes 100 miles from the transmitter, but still usable. With digital anything, you have a perfect picture or phone call, but if the signal drops below a certain level, it's gone, you are out of luck. And the distances when that happens are far shorter than with analog due to much lower transmit powers of today's phones and internal antennas instead of external or pull-out antennas. With analog you would have a "usable" signal far beyond that digital cliff. And the carriers have still not fully re-covered the territory they served with the old analog signal.

Feedback Score
    I don't remember which phone I had at what date. But because of sever hearing problems I at one point carried a phone and a device called a Pocket Speak and Read VCO which straps on the ear piece end of a phone (cell or landline) in order to make Relay Calls. I found a site that is old but as of today (Nov. 18, 2021) has a good photo and description http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_K-PVCO.htm. You speak into the phone and read what the Relay sends you that the other person on the call is saying. I still have that device but have not used it in a very long time. I think there was also a similar way I used two cell phones for a time but can't remember details.

Later when captioning services first came out I had to leave Verizon because to use the caption service you need voice cell service and data service at the same time also known as simultaneous voice & data. Voice for you to speak and data for the captions of what the other person is saying. Verizon did not have that. It took the coming of 4G LTE for them to offer it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast