Thread: Grandfathered unlimited hotspot seems to be throttled

Feedback Score

Grandfathered unlimited hotspot seems to be throttled

I have a grandfathered unlimited hotspot plan that has been pretty shaky lately. When it's working fine it is typically 50-70mbps down, but now it seems like after a certain amount of time/data it gets throttled, to about 500kbps down. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected (20mbps). If I reboot my hotspot (Nighthawk M1) it typically reverts back to normal. It doesn't seem to be a hard limit, but after about 10GB data used it gets throttled again.

We typically use ~700GB a month; plan is supposed to deprioritize (not throttle) after 22GB. That's never really been a problem.

I've only been able to resolve it by rebooting; VPNs seem to get around the throttling.

There was a similar problem last year with AT&Ts transparent proxy where TCP data would get blocked (not throttled) after ~5GB of usage (UDP data was unaffected); reboots resolved that also. That eventually seemed to have gotten fixed on AT&Ts side.

We're rural, so don't really have any other reasonable ISP options. Also don't want to rock the boat for that reason if I can help it - I know others with grandfathered plans that have gotten onto the bad list. Is there anything I can do to try and isolate/resolve the issue, besides rebooting or routing all traffic through a VPN?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyot1 View Post
    I have a grandfathered unlimited hotspot plan that has been pretty shaky lately. When it's working fine it is typically 50-70mbps down, but now it seems like after a certain amount of time/data it gets throttled, to about 500kbps down. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected (20mbps). If I reboot my hotspot (Nighthawk M1) it typically reverts back to normal. It doesn't seem to be a hard limit, but after about 10GB data used it gets throttled again.

We typically use ~700GB a month; plan is supposed to deprioritize (not throttle) after 22GB. That's never really been a problem.

I've only been able to resolve it by rebooting; VPNs seem to get around the throttling.

There was a similar problem last year with AT&Ts transparent proxy where TCP data would get blocked (not throttled) after ~5GB of usage (UDP data was unaffected); reboots resolved that also. That eventually seemed to have gotten fixed on AT&Ts side.

We're rural, so don't really have any other reasonable ISP options. Also don't want to rock the boat for that reason if I can help it - I know others with grandfathered plans that have gotten onto the bad list. Is there anything I can do to try and isolate/resolve the issue, besides rebooting or routing all traffic through a VPN?
    I have 4 of these lines that are legitimately hotspot lines and are distributed among rural family and we have not seen any issues that I’m aware of. Each one uses at least 700-1TB per month. I guess I’ll have to keep a close eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    I have 4 of these lines that are legitimately hotspot lines and are distributed among rural family and we have not seen any issues that I’m aware of. Each one uses at least 700-1TB per month. I guess I’ll have to keep a close eye on them.
    700 GB... Pretty jealous over here in Canada. Our data plans are about 20 GB everyone in rural communities are just going straight to Starlink.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    700 GB... Pretty jealous over here in Canada. Our data plans are about 20 GB everyone in rural communities are just going straight to Starlink.
    Yep! I got lucky when these plans were out and jumped all over it. Most of my family is on the list for starlink. It’s gonna be a game changer for those who like rural living.