Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mint Black Friday offering, likely to be better?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score

Mint Black Friday offering, likely to be better?

Mint has a BF offering that's effectively 50% off the monthly price of their 12mo-plan for new activations of 6mo. It's presented as pay for 3mo, get another 3mo free, but for example the 4GB/mo plan is $45 for 6mo ($7.50/mo). Regulatory Recovery Fee and taxes add up, e.g. $11.43 in FL on the 4GB plan (I think that $11.43 covers the 6mo).

Are they likely to do better actually on BF? And does anyone know if I can use an existing unactivated Mint SIM from 2019 (when they sent extras to give your friends) and not wait for the SIM to be mailed?

Also interested in perceptions of service quality with Mint. Haven't used them since late 2019.

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Mint answered my FB Message, they said the SIM is only good for 45 days. I've asked twice but the way they're answering makes me wonder if I'm expressing the question properly. I'm not proposing to sign up for a 7-day trial, I'm proposing to sign up for the 3mo+3mo but use one of these SIMs instead. Sounds like the answer is no (or I have to assume it's no). Looks like Target and BB do have the same offer but I wanted to activate before hitting the road.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    The regular sims have a 45 day expiry date. Mint is answering you correctly. No fees if you buy from BB or Target, save yourself the $11.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, guess I'll toss the SIMs then.

If I buy at Target in NYS, will Target charge NYS tax and any other fees? Do I have to activate there, or can I walk out and do it later on the Mint website?

Device(s)
    Motorola and a LTE iPad
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    Thank you, guess I'll toss the SIMs then.

If I buy at Target in NYS, will Target charge NYS tax and any other fees? Do I have to activate there, or can I walk out and do it later on the Mint website?
    I think you might be suprised if you activate those sims at Mints website .....

But if you are going to throw them away I will take them 1
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs , Old Porsche projects and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You'll still pay sales tax. You can activate later.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    I think you might be suprised if you activate those sims at Mints website .....
    I could try, but how would I do that? Here's a photo of what I have, each sheet has "one to try and one to buy", though they look the same. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JrUREaC1oPHo45Z7

If there's a way to do this without waiting for the SIM to arrive (and without buying at Target) I'm happy to learn. I didn't see a way to activate the 3+3 promo without ordering a SIM kit to be mailed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD
    You'll still pay sales tax. You can activate later.
    Am I going to get hit for tax twice, once at 8% NYS tax for buying something (the SIM kit), then again when I activate with a FL number? I'm tempted to order for pickup at Target so I know it's there. Though I'll lose the $10 cashback from Rakuten (or from TCB), assuming this offer qualifies.

Thanks.
    Last edited by awebber; 11-17-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    I could try, but how would I do that? Here's a photo of what I have, each sheet has "one to try and one to buy", though they look the same. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JrUREaC1oPHo45Z7

If there's a way to do this without waiting for the SIM to arrive (and without buying at Target) I'm happy to learn. I didn't see a way to activate the 3+3 promo without ordering a SIM kit to be mailed.

Am I going to get hit for tax twice, once at 8% NYS tax for buying something (the SIM kit), then again when I activate with a FL number? I'm tempted to order for pickup at Target so I know it's there. Though I'll lose the $10 cashback from Rakuten (or from TCB), assuming this offer qualifies.

Thanks.
    There's no double taxation.

Feedback Score
    I've seen a couple of reports in recent months that the SIMs from the trial kit can't be used as replacements for a failed SIM, even with a Mint CSR assisting. Seems like a waste to me.

For activating the promo deal, I'm guessing the specific SIM is probably necessary, if the plan is pre-loaded on the SIM.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    That does seem a shame. I looked on the back of the SIMs I have (photo upthread) and they say "activate by [some date in early 2022]". Does that override the 45-day rule? I guess I could try activating the 7-day trial one and see what happens, but I don't want to screw up eligibility for the 3mo+3mo offer.

Maybe I should just stop at Target. Thinking to offer for pickup, does anyone have experience doing that, and can I get at pickup (front of store) and not electronics department (back of store)?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    At my Target, pickups are at the Customer Service desk near one of the entrances. Keep your receipt until you've activated, because the pre-loaded SIMs have to be scanned into the system to work properly (and sometimes they forget).

The 'Activate by' date printed on the SIM card carrier is T-Mobile's expiration date for the SIM card itself, and has nothing to do with the expiration date for the Mint plan.

I have read of some issues caused by activating the Trial SIM first, and buying the promo SIM from any source other than Mint Mobile's website. The reddit subforum https://www.reddit.com/r/mintmobile/ is usually a good source for learning about possible limitations.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing.

What are the pre-paid cheap phones work with this plans?

Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    I purchased the kit from Target I’m NY and was charged less than $4 in sales tax

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

What are the pre-paid cheap phones work with this plans?

Thanks for sharing.
    As far as I know, the only "pre-paid" phones that will work wirth Mint Mobile are T-Mobile Prepaid phones or phones sold at https://phones.mintmobile.com/phones...575.1637538087 .

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Running into more trouble with this. Ordered a 3mo+3mo kit from Target, picked up on Sun Nov 21. Expected to use in a Canadian Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018), unlocked of course. It didn't work in the A8 but did work in my Galaxy S20 5G (also unlocked) so I'm confident it's set up right. We called Mint, they ran the IMEI and said it's not compatible with TMo.

As a side note (and hoping to fix this), we also have a Canadian Fizz SIM with Canada+US coverage, it's working in my S20 and says it's roaming on AT&T. It also doesn't work in the A8, though we didn't chase that down. I looked up the specs and I'm scratching my head:

From GSMarena:
    Galaxy A8 (2018) 4G bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 26, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66

From https://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...he-USA_id77933
    TMobile 4G bands: 12x*, 71x*, 2*, 4*, 5, 66
    AT&T 4G bands: 2*, 4*, 5, 12*, 14, 17*, 29, 30, 66
    [*=main bands; x=Extended Range 4G LTE]

Based on this, the only TMo (Mint) band missing is 71. The only AT&T (Fizz) bands missing are 14, 29, 30.

Can anyone explain why Mint is rejecting the unlocked A8? I'd prefer not to return the Mint SIM for a refund, but I have until Sat I think (Fri to be safe). Alternatively if I can get the Fizz SIM working in the unlocked A8, I'd put the Mint in the S20, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast