Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mint Black Friday offering, likely to be better?

Feedback Score
    I didn't realize T-Mobile had a phone White List.

If the Fizz SIM is also not working in the A8, I might suspect a phone problem, but that's just a wild guess.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I don't know about a White List, I assumed when they said Mint asked for the IMEI and came back saying it wasn't compatible, that the Mint agent had just sick the number in their IMEI checker at https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/ I guess I need to do that for them but there's no reason to doubt the agent.

It's hard to believe Mint would refuse to work with a handset just because it's missing one extended-4G band.0

I would agree about troubleshooting the handset (normally used on Public Mobile [Telus]) except that as a fallback they are roaming on a Public Mobile US add-on. PM says they partner with TMo and AT&T, so the A8 must be working fine on one of them.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it's the single missing band. I have two unlocked Verizon Moto E4s on Mint. Which apn are you using? Have you tried fast.t-mobile.com?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I doubt it's the single missing band. I have two unlocked Verizon Moto E4s on Mint. Which apn are you using? Have you tried fast.t-mobile.com?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I used the values from Mint at https://www.mintmobile.com/setup/android/ (except I don't have that exact APN Type, not on the A8 nor the S20):

Name – Mint
    APN – Wholesale
    Proxy – (leave blank)
    Port – (leave blank)
    Username & Password – (leave blank)
    Server – (leave blank)

MMSC – http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
    Multimedia message proxy – (leave blank)
    Multimedia message port – 8080
    MCC – 310
    MNC – 260
    Authentication Type – (leave blank)
    APN Type – default,supl,mms,ia
    APN Protocol – IPv4/IPv6
    APN Roaming Protocol – IPv4

In addition to the PM roaming, I'm pretty sure this A8 was used on some TMo MVNO 2 years ago (Lyca or Ultra or something).

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    So I went straight to the source, and TMo site says the A8 is not compatible. It's weird because it says in part

For the best experience on the T-Mobile network, you'll need a phone that supports these key technologies:

Extended Range LTE helps deliver blazing-fast speeds on the T-Mobile network.

Voice over LTE provides crisp, clear audio quality and helps prevent dropped calls.
    I'm not looking for the best experience, really just data. And surely they're not tossing off everyone whose phone doesn't have VoLTE!?

Anyway I guess that also rules out other TMO MVNOs? I found a deal on Speedtalk (among others) but their site doesn't mention compatibility at all.

What about AT&T? Can't find an IMEI checker for BYOD at all, though there's a suggestion there might be one after you put a prepaid SIM in your cart, except that's OOS.

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Couldn't find an IMEI checker on AT&T, but Good2Go says the A8 is compatible and Cricket says it's not. I'm guessing it's not. This is very weird. It might explain why Fizz isn't working, but Public Mobile has to be roaming on either TMo or AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    So I went straight to the source, and TMo site says the A8 is not compatible. It's weird because it says in part

I'm not looking for the best experience, really just data. And surely they're not tossing off everyone whose phone doesn't have VoLTE!?

Anyway I guess that also rules out other TMO MVNOs? I found a deal on Speedtalk (among others) but their site doesn't mention compatibility at all.

What about AT&T? Can't find an IMEI checker for BYOD at all, though there's a suggestion there might be one after you put a prepaid SIM in your cart, except that's OOS.

Thanks.
    I suggest Liberty Wireless they are a T-Mobile MVNO.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, is it likely this handset will work on Liberty if TMo and Mint are saying it won't? Liberty only says "must be TMo compatible and a GSM phone" so I'm not sure why that would work and it wouldn't work on TMo or Mint. I don't see an IMEI checker on Liberty website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2