Thread: Do I need to replace ancient SIM when moving to 4G?

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score

Do I need to replace ancient SIM when moving to 4G?

I still have the grandfathered Legacy Pay As You Go plan ($10/yr to keep it alive). Keep thinking one year I'll switch to some prepaid data plan and burn off the balance (now $120 ) but I never do as others are cheaper.

Am I right that my wonderful Nokia 6030 handset https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6030-1086.php is 2G? And that TMo is keeping 2G alive until Jan 1/23? I was sure it would be dead now, but saw an article saying Jan 1/23 for TMo 2G and Apr 1/22 for TMo 3G.

In any case, when the 6030 finally stops working, can I just cut down the SIM from mini (full-size) to nano and stick it in another (4G-capable) smartphone handset? Or is there some issue with the SIM being too outdated?

Thanks.
    =aw

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can almost guarantee that you will need a new SIM when upgrading to a 4G phone. I see no advantage of keeping an older SIM card that is likely 15 years or older. SIM cards that old may not support many new features supported in modern phones. Why would you feel the need to keep an older SIM card?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    The answer to that is twofold: (1) the advantage is because it's easier, and (2) that was the point of my question, whether using the old SIM in a new handset on a new plan would hold me back. Also whether it makes a difference whether I'm using it on the grandfathered T&T plan in a new handset, vs using it on a new data plan.

Do TMo stores (or TMo) typically give out free replacement SIMs, or do they charge for them like in Canada?

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awebber View Post
    Do TMo stores (or TMo) typically give out free replacement SIMs, or do they charge for them like in Canada?
    More than likely, if you buy the phone from the store you can ask them if they can waive the SIM/activation fee. No guarantee it will be waived, but my point is due to the age of the SIM/phone, you will need a new SIM. Yes, I have upgraded phones from time to time with all 3 carriers.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Not likely to buy a handset from a TMo store (actually certainly not). So there's reason (1a) I'd keep the old SIM if it worked: it's cheaper (and easier).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just order an R15 SIM card on eBay and activate it with your existing account. They aren’t known to take away grandfathered plans. I see many at or around $5.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    New SIMs don't work in old 2G phones. It might be an issue if you could use an old 2G phone on a PAYG plan. New SIMs also don't work on old sat phones, but that's not important in your case.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. As long as I can use the old Nokia 6030, I'm happy with the SIM (haven't tried it in a while). The issue is more if I switch to a 4G phone (either smartphone or flipphone) when 2G goes down, whether I can cut down my existing SIM or if I have to invest in a new one. I actually thought 2G was already dead, but I saw an article that it should still work (I think).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I still use my Gold Rewards SIM in old phones (I've got a Select 2000e, v60, Nokia 8390, Razr, etc)

It seems to still work fine on 2G, and I leave it in my bag when traveling around as a backup. The SIM works fine in LTE phones too, but my SIM is from ~2014
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)