Thread: T-Mobile aims for 300M by 2023 with 2.5 GHz

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile aims for 300M by 2023 with 2.5 GHz

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    We gonna make it happen. We might be early too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Aggregate of n71 with n41 should be good. N41 isn't bad on downwind, but upload drops quickly on n41 (b41 as well)

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Does the 5G UC indicator show up in all areas where mid-band has been installed? Or are there places where ultra-capacity is available but the indicator does not show up on devices? I have been to several towns around here that are supposed to have 5G UC but the indicator is not showing up on my phone while there are other towns where it does. I am talking about cities and towns with just one site enabled with the spectrum and being right next to the site with my phone to check for the service.

In towns where 5G UC does show up I am getting 500-700 Mbps downloads, which is really good when compared to the 80-100 I get on Band 71 5G everywhere else.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
    We gonna make it happen. We might be early too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Underpromise and then overdeliver touching every site with new radios. Given midband TDD radio/antennas are so tiny they probably very rarely have an issue or delay with local governments. A really smart move.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    ....N41 isn't bad on downwind,.....
    Not sure about being downwind of an N41..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Not sure about being downwind of an N41..
    Gotta love autocorrect... that should be 'downlink'.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    Does the 5G UC indicator show up in all areas where mid-band has been installed? Or are there places where ultra-capacity is available but the indicator does not show up on devices? I have been to several towns around here that are supposed to have 5G UC but the indicator is not showing up on my phone while there are other towns where it does. I am talking about cities and towns with just one site enabled with the spectrum and being right next to the site with my phone to check for the service.

In towns where 5G UC does show up I am getting 500-700 Mbps downloads, which is really good when compared to the 80-100 I get on Band 71 5G everywhere else.
    Heck, I can make my S21 show '4G LTE when I'm connected to UC getting 600Mbps. i suspect that it should show up more correctly than the 5G 'UPPERLAYER_IND_R15', which will show 5G ... even when you're not connected to 5G, but it is 'available'. I suspect that this is enabled when certain 5G bands are actively connected/aggregated on your device, otherwise, it would be not much different than just '5G' on a handset.

Feedback Score
    Heck, I can make my S21 show '4G LTE when I'm connected to UC getting 600Mbps. i suspect that it should show up more correctly than the 5G 'UPPERLAYER_IND_R15', which will show 5G ... even when you're not connected to 5G, but it is 'available'. I suspect that this is enabled when certain 5G bands are actively connected/aggregated on your device, otherwise, it would be not much different than just '5G' on a handset.
    Thanks, I guess my ultimate question is what conditions need to be in place for the "UC" indicator to show up? I am seeing a pattern in which, on last weekend's trip to Oklahoma City along I-40, mid-band is supposed to be installed in every town along that highway in the western half of the state, but the UC indicator never showed up once until I got into Oklahoma City itself, even if I pulled off the interstate in order to get close to the site. The indicator was pretty much constant while in Oklahoma City, depending on how close I was to a site. Beyond a mile or two it would go away, which is what I would expect. All this made me wonder if mid-band actually was up and running in all those towns along the interstate or if the coverage maps were ahead of what was actually installed. I certainly would not put it past a carrier to show coverage where none actually existed yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I guess my ultimate question is what conditions need to be in place for the "UC" indicator to show up?
    I'll have to wait until I actually have a device that is 'UC' indicator compatible.

All this made me wonder if mid-band actually was up and running in all those towns along the interstate or if the coverage maps were ahead of what was actually installed. I certainly would not put it past a carrier to show coverage where none actually existed yet.
    There is a good chance that the coverage maps are over exaggerated, in some areas, and outright false or projecting in others. T-Mobile 'Advanced Technical Support' has told me on many occasions that areas that I've been to with 'No Service' that T-Mobile claim 4G LTE, 5G service actually have ... 'No Service' and the coverage maps are incorrect. Sadly, the internal maps used by engineering/support are not those that are used for customers or more appropriately 'sales'. With the removal of granulated service (ie. no-service/fair/good/excellent) to 4G LTE/5G extended range/5G Ultra Capacity, its pretty obvious that the information on the service maps are more for 'sales' and attempted bragging rights than usefulness of where service is 'usable' / 'unusable' and correctly indicating 'no-service'. To an extent, 'all carriers do this', and of course, this was also T-Mobile's excuse .. to which the reply was "Aren't you the Un-carrier?"

Looking at cellmapper, OkC has a lot of B41 sites on the interstates. I'd expect n41 (ultra capacity) where B41 is

Feedback Score
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 3.54.28 AM.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  67.5 KB

I have been to all of the circled locations over the past 3 weeks, as well as in Oklahoma City. Never once did the "5G UC" indicator show up in any of the circled locations, but it did in OKC, quite consistently. I know the carriers' coverage maps exaggerate, and with the extremely small coverage that mid-band sites offer it may be difficult to be in a position to detect the signal from one individual site unless you are right on top of it, but I find it odd that the indicator never showed up anywhere in these locations. The only place it did show up was in the location at the top of the map, the city of Enid, which has 3 5G UC-enabled sites outside the city. On the outskirts of the city the indicator was present but in the city it was hit or miss on a block by block basis. T-Mobile needs to do some SERIOUS site densification to get to that 300 million coverage level over the next 2 years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Most likely that T-Mobile is performing its 'projection' of future coverage, as well as the old typical over exaggeration of coverage that may exist vs. actually being able to obtain it.
    There are a few things I've noticed since 5G UC (Android 12) on S21...
    - 5G UC is only displayed when actually aggregated (you may be next to a 5G UC site, but .. only on 5G or 4G LTE with UL indicator - this happens often)
    - 5G UC indicator is usually ~1 minute behind items like Signal Check Pro, or the device itself... this is fine
    - 'Speed test' actually shows up as 'LTE' while phone has 5G UC indicator... interesting hitting 1200Mbps on LTE

In summary... Since 5G UC is only there during 5G n41 (or mmWave) aggregation, people may find that they're not seeing 5G UC as often as expected.
    Last edited by formercanuck; 11-20-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    Most likely that T-Mobile is performing its 'projection' of future coverage, as well as the old typical over exaggeration of coverage that may exist vs. actually being able to obtain it.
    There are a few things I've noticed since 5G UC (Android 12) on S21...
    - 5G UC is only displayed when actually aggregated (you may be next to a 5G UC site, but .. only on 5G or 4G LTE with UL indicator - this happens often)
    - 5G UC indicator is usually ~1 minute behind items like Signal Check Pro, or the device itself... this is fine
    - 'Speed test' actually shows up as 'LTE' while phone has 5G UC indicator... interesting hitting 1200Mbps on LTE

In summary... Since 5G UC is only there during 5G n41 (or mmWave) aggregation, people may find that they're not seeing 5G UC as often as expected.
    Based on what I have experienced, what my phone shows, and Speedtests, I am far more inclined to believe that this "coverage" they are showing is just "PR" to go along with the PR piece that was referenced at the beginning of this thread. They are claiming to have 200 million population covered right now, ahead of their original predictions, when a sizable amount of the coverage does not really exist at the current time.

This is not surprising, no one and no government agency is going to check out or verify those claims in any way, they never have and never will, it's just business as usual for a carrier. I know I have been tilting at windmills here, it is common knowledge that the carriers lie wholesale about their coverage, I just wanted the lie pointed out and documented for the record.